its NOT going to be a screw type blower

mustangsnoopy

Established Member
according to the new car and driver in which they drive the thing, its going to have a roots type supercharger, not a twin screw. is this going to keep some of you from buying one? i dont see the big difference, 475 hp is 475 hp.

MikeW

Established Member
Roots=Twinscrew

Good chances it will have hte Eaton Twinscrew on on it. BTW the EATON on the FORD is a ROOTS Twinscrew.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
97topless snake said:
Roots=Twinscrew

Good chances it will have hte Eaton Twinscrew on on it. BTW the EATON on the FORD is a ROOTS Twinscrew.

:dw: :dw: :dw: :dw: :dw: :dw: :dw: :dw:

97topless snake said:
Roots=Twinscrew

Roots is not the same as Twin Screw.....

Eaton = Roots

KB and Whipple = Twin Screw

rezcobra

Established Member
The Real Snake said:
Roots is not the same as Twin Screw.....

Eaton = Roots

KB and Whipple = Twin Screw

But then Eaton can also be a twin screw because they are partners with Lysholm and anytime the Lysholm twin screw is used in a OEM application its furnished by Lysholm thru Eaton and will have the Eaton name on it. When its aftermarket the same Lysholm twin screw will come stamped with Whipple, they are the aftermarket distributors for Lysholm. Thats why when you seen the Shelby prototype it had Eaton marked on it but looked exactly like the Whipple save for the funny looking pulley. I say the C&D magazine don't know what the hell they're talking about!!!

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
It seems as though people are confusing brand names with blower types.
A roots type blower slaps air and is not a true compressor.
A twin screw blower compresses air in a screw type motion.
No matter who's name is on the case, it has to be one or the other, not both.

I never said Eaton ONLY makes a Roots type blower.

I was just explaining to whoever said Roots=Twin Screw they are not the same, and that the Eaton found on the 03-04 Cobra (and the Lightning's, Pontiac GTP's, and practically every other OEM application) is an Eaton Roots Style Blower. KB and Whipple, etc on the other hand, sell Twin Screw Blowers and it is NOT the same thing. I was just explaining it to him with example's using the = sign, so he might better understand.

Last edited by a moderator:

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
LOL. There always seems to be a lot of confusion about this topic of supercharger types. But I see that a couple people here have it correct. Eaton makes both a roots design as well as a TWIN-SCREW design, while Whipple and Kenne Belle ONLY make the Twin-screw design.

The difference is in the shape of the rotors inside the supercharger case. As indicated in a previous post in this thread, the twin-screw S/Cers have two rotors that are male and female, which are shaped like giant wood screws, and compress the air in the supercharger case itself. The roots design has two rotors also, but the rotors in them have lobes that aren't shaped like those in the twin-screw S/Cers. And the roots design compresses the incoming air in the intake manifold, rather than inside the S/Cer case like the twin-screw design does.

They're both excellent designs coming from the Eaton company, but the twin-screw designs (from any of the three copanies mentioned) are known for more power potential, and are particularly better for running over 13 PSI than the roots types are. However, I wonder how much difference in the two there would really be for applications under 10 PSI, because the GT500 will be running under 10 PSI from the factory.

Last edited:

CrashOverride

Established Member
The Real Snake said:
I never said Eaton ONLY makes a Roots type blower.

I was just explaining to whoever said Roots=Twin Screw they are not the same, and that the Eaton found on the 03-04 Cobra (and the Lightning's, Pontiac GTP's, and practically every other OEM application) is an Eaton Roots Style Blower. KB and Whipple, etc on the other hand, sell Twin Screw Blowers and it is NOT the same thing. I was just explaining it to him with example's using the = sign, so he might better understand.

KB also does the roots. sorry to burst your bubble. :-D :loser:

Users who are viewing this thread