its official... I su@k at driving...

illadvisedSnake

need supporting mods!!!!
Established Member
went to milan today for test and tune... my best run was a 12.18 with a 1.99 60' time... tried a few things... a couple times I hooked good, but I guess I just wasn't moving fast enough or launch hard enough or something.... anyways, I though I would tell you all this for some reason... ah well maybe next time I'll learn how to drive!

:beer:

Last edited:

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
mph keep trying it takes practice everyone has a different learning curve

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
What tires?
What RPM did you launch at?
It will take you many passes before you find the sweet spot for launching and shifting.
Trust me I'm still working on it.;-)

JP

illadvisedSnake

need supporting mods!!!!
Established Member
the mph was 114.7

tires are 295/35-18 bfg dr's, I aired the down to about 23 psi, they started to feel a bit loose towards the end of the track...

I tried a variety of things, launching at 3k, launching less, launching at 3.5k. Even tried slipping the clutch out a bit, it only broke loose on me twice and once it hopped. Every other time I hooked up, i guess I just didn't get on it fast enough. my best 60' was 1.97...

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
I launch the pig around 4500 rpm. Any higher than that and it blows off the tires. Since you have alot more hp/tq than me you'll blow the tires off much easier. You have easy 11's with a little practice. It also helps if you wear sandals for a much better launch:burnout: j/k

illadvisedSnake

need supporting mods!!!!
Established Member
so is it better to drop the clutch, let it out fast, or slip it a bit? I couldn't tell what was working better, even from my time slips...

also, is it better to heat up the bfg dr's or "clean them off" before you run.. I got mixed input on that...

this is only my second time to the track with this car, sitll a noob

I appreciate the input guys!

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
I used bfg's first time out at the track. I just cleaned them off a bit. The nitto's I have now need to be smoked to hell to warm them up enough. If I don't heat them up I get wheelhop like crazy. About the launch, I've had success both ways (slipping the clutch a bit and dumping it). I guess you'll have to figure that part out at the track. Thats what its all about!

WhippleCharged Sonic

Screwed, Blued & Tattooed
Established Member
stock clutch? When I was on my stock clutch with my pullied eaton I would launch at around 4,000ish and slip it. Once you feel it grab hammer it. I ran a few high 11's running that way. Gotta get some DR's, drop the psi in them to about 16-18 psi and heat 'em up for a few seconds, slip the clutch a bit on the launch and practice, practice, practice.

illadvisedSnake

need supporting mods!!!!
Established Member
WhippleCharged Sonic said:
stock clutch? When I was on my stock clutch with my pullied eaton I would launch at around 4,000ish and slip it. Once you feel it grab hammer it. I ran a few high 11's running that way. Gotta get some DR's, drop the psi in them to about 16-18 psi and heat 'em up for a few seconds, slip the clutch a bit on the launch and practice, practice, practice.

CFDF w 26 spline input shaft, I only went down to 25 psi in dr's though, guess I should have went more... looks like I got a lot of tips for next time.

thanks guys

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
That MPH is not so good for your power. I've trapped 119 in cool weather with 460rwhp, and as low as 115-116 with the same power in warm weather. Last night was relatively cool though, so you should have been able to do much better than I with your power. How were you shifting? What RPM were you shifting at?

illadvisedSnake

need supporting mods!!!!
Established Member
I was shifting at about 6.2k, my maf pegs at ~6.4k so I'm trying to play it safe... and I was shifting pretty hard 1-2, and the 2-3, I know the 3-4 shift wasn't so hot, but it was still decent shift. I thought it seemed low too...

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
illadvisedSnake said:
I was shifting at about 6.2k, my maf pegs at ~6.4k so I'm trying to play it safe... and I was shifting pretty hard 1-2, and the 2-3, I know the 3-4 shift wasn't so hot, but it was still decent shift. I thought it seemed low too...

i always shifted at 6k

no power shifting only makes you go slower unless you god like at it.

clutch ok?

if you really want to improve have someone ride with you on the street do some practice launchs and some practice 1-2-3 passes.

oh have someone ride with you who is better then you are take some of there advice and try and apply it. also maybe ride with them and if you can watch what they do and apply that

then try again

hope that helps

illadvisedSnake

need supporting mods!!!!
Established Member
vector said:
i always shifted at 6k

no power shifting only makes you go slower unless you god like at it.

clutch ok?

if you really want to improve have someone ride with you on the street do some practice launchs and some practice 1-2-3 passes.

oh have someone ride with you who is better then you are take some of there advice and try and apply it. also maybe ride with them and if you can watch what they do and apply that

then try again

hope that helps

thanks I'll try that, anybody want to go for a ride?

as far as my clutch goes, its still pretty good, I have to admit it probably doesn't help that i have the stock quadrant and auto adjuster. I have a firewall adjusted, but never got around to buying a quadrant so I could put it on... I guess I couldn't make up my mind about one.

T.Bone

Established Member
illadvisedSnake said:
I have a firewall adjusted, but never got around to buying a quadrant so I could put it on... I guess I couldn't make up my mind about one.

This is the first thing you need to do! Get a quadrant and install it, this is one mod that will make shifting much different. The stock adjuster is all over the place and I was always adjusting it between runs.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
Consider getting a raptor shift light as well. They are only about 100 bucks. I set mine around 5800 or 5900 so that I can shift by 6000. I picked up almost 1 MPH and .1 seconds with just this mod.

illadvisedSnake

need supporting mods!!!!
Established Member
03gobluecobra said:
Consider getting a raptor shift light as well. They are only about 100 bucks. I set mine around 5800 or 5900 so that I can shift by 6000. I picked up almost 1 MPH and .1 seconds with just this mod.

I have a raptor, its set at 6k... I'll try taking it down to 5.8k, also have the MGW shifter and some amsoil in the tranny...

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
I wouldn't worry much about your E.T at Milan. Some days it doesn't matter how much power you make, you're gonna get a shitty E.T there. I would be a bit concerned about your trap though. I'd think even in the heat you'd get about 5mph more.

WhippleCharged Sonic

Screwed, Blued & Tattooed
Established Member
illadvisedSnake said:
CFDF w 26 spline input shaft, I only went down to 25 psi in dr's though, guess I should have went more... looks like I got a lot of tips for next time.

thanks guys

I am going to take a stab here and throw out a possibility. Your clutch may be the issue here. I had nothing but issues with mine and could not run worth a damn. I had over a hundred more horse and could not beat my best run of an 11.88 with my non-ported eaton. Yanked it out and it was smoked out with less then 1000 miles on it. CF replaced it with a new pressure plate, resurfaced flywheel and upgraded DFX disc. I am running consistent low 11's now with that setup and will soon be 10's once I get it to grab on the launch.

I would definitely get the quadrant and firewall adjuster and install it....that could be part of the problem too. Install is honestly less then 45 minutes.

illadvisedSnake

need supporting mods!!!!
Established Member
WhippleCharged Sonic said:
I am going to take a stab here and throw out a possibility. Your clutch may be the issue here. I had nothing but issues with mine and could not run worth a damn. I had over a hundred more horse and could not beat my best run of an 11.88 with my non-ported eaton. Yanked it out and it was smoked out with less then 1000 miles on it. CF replaced it with a new pressure plate, resurfaced flywheel and upgraded DFX disc. I am running consistent low 11's now with that setup and will soon be 10's once I get it to grab on the launch.

I would definitely get the quadrant and firewall adjuster and install it....that could be part of the problem too. Install is honestly less then 45 minutes.

I dunno, I installed my clutch at the end of last season... it does have approx 8k on it or so... I know the auto adjuster is BS and it does give me a lot of crap, somedays everytime I push the clutch in it feels different other days its perfectly fine...

not sure if this means anything here, but a buddy of mine with a 69 500ci road runner, runs ~11-11.2 in the quarter on slicks... on the street we run from a roll and we stay about dead even, usually depends who hooks up first gets a half of a quarter panel on the other, I usually pull on the top end a tad either way once he gets close to his trap speed... I mean if the clutch was bad or slipping I wouldn't be able to keep up right?

Users who are viewing this thread