-It's time for a new clutch...need opinions please!

Stevenbekah

Cobra bitten
Established Member
Hi all,

TOB went out and figured while I'm in there , might as well get a new clutch

I'm honestly looking for any and all feedback on what I should get. I do not race the car or drag the car. Yes, it's putting down 520 but I'm very easy on it.

I've read some not so good stuff about McLeod so not interested there...but am again, open for feedback and also looking for the best overall deal

Thanks in advance

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I did my clutch when the TOB Retainer Tube busted. My car is mostly stock, and I did the following:
From Lethal Performance:
Spec 3+ clutch
Fidanza flywheel with Steel insert
T-56 TOB Retainer
Ford Racing Flywheel Bolts

From Ford:
Clutch Arm
Pivot
FRPP HD TOB
Pilot Bearing

Since I was paying for the install, I replaced everything at one time to avoid having to pay to drop the transmission again. The mechanic did an incredible job on the install.
I broke in the clutch exactly as Spec advised (kept rpm's low for 500 miles).
I had a small amount of chatter early during the break-in. At 500 miles I did a 1-2 Powershift and the car began going sideways before I let off. There is zero chatter now and the clutch is smooth and engages well.
To do it again, I would opt for the light pedal option, although the clutch pedal is not very stiff. I would also get the clutch and flywheel balanced together, but I do not have any vibration at all. The TOB Retainer got a very light coat of high temp grease. I also installed the LDC Freeplay spring (prior to the clutch install) and have adjusted the TOB off of the pressure plate by a slight amount with the Fiore Quadrant and Firewall Adjuster.

Overall, I am very happy with the Spec and would do it again, along with a new steel flywheel insert. Guys at Lethal were very helpful when picking out parts.

Stevenbekah

Cobra bitten
Established Member
Fred, thanks for the feedback.
I'm looking at Spec as well...seems a decent price for the HP/TQ needs

Also, (for everyone), do I need to get a flywheel? And...if so, how important or noticeable is the difference between a billet vs steel flywheel and which one is better to choose for daily driving?

Again, thanks in advance
Steve

cj428mach

Established Member
Im running the centerforce dyad and love it. The pedal effort is very minimal so im running all stock clutch linkage and am glad I retained the hassle free setup.

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
I have a spec 2+. I like it for the most part. It is a little graby and it would probably annoy me if it was my daily. They are very stiff during the break in period but after a 1000 miles it is just like stock.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I had a spec s3+ and aluminum flywheel from 2006-2011. It was finicky at 400wtq, unhappy at 550wtq, and hated 650wtq+. It would skip, kind of like a cd on a bumpy road, when I power or speed shifted. It also was very difficult to smoothly friction point from stops, and took a solid month to get used to. I did a good bit of chirp/bucking engagements from stop lights even years into owning it. It was installed by guys that build 1000whp engines, rebuild transmissions, custom design fuel systems, etc. Yeah, they knew/know how to install a clutch assembly. They weren't impressed by its driving characteristics and said it reminded them of mid 90's drag oriented "street" clutches. Barely street, basically track.

I much prefer my 2011/2012 model mcleod. It toe heel down shifts progressively and crispy, not like a jack rabbit. It leaves a stop light much like a stock Honda Civic, ie, no bucking or wheel hop inducing chattering, and it takes much less pedal effort, and feels smoother while changing gear. It's also 40+% stronger based on the rating. 850tq vs 1200tq

My 2006 spec s3+ was unruly and took quite some time to learn. My aunt can drive my McLeod. My buddy who had good hands and feet for drifting jdms accurately and quickly couldn't smoothly drive my spec setup, and was impressed I could drive the thing so well, let alone at all.

I'd hope and expect they've vastly improved the spec s3+ since 2006, it was basically a drag race only package back then IMO based on my experience.

My McLeod also holds my torque now. My s3+, which to its credit was only rated for 850flywheel torque, shattered and my t56 accordingly saw much of the internals destroyed, 3rd and 4th gear synchros, gear sets, etc. I was making 800-920wtq when it did, and the clutch was 5 years/15,000 miles old.

I didn't look into spec when it let go, I was salted. Looking back, if I had, I imagine they had vastly improved it. If they did, experiences like mine were the trial and development team, but am I happy to say I paid them ~$850 (iirc) to be the beta tester?

In a word, no. Hopefully update 2.0 or whatever they're up to is much better.

Steve, I'm curious as to what negatives you've heard about the McLeods? It's literally been the best clutch I've bought. Spends, but it returned so much enjoyment to actually driving the car.

Last edited:

xtreme_exploder

Established Member
I put a spec 3+ in my car recently to replace the wasted stock clutch. I got the clutch with the light pedal option, and it is easily half as much pedal effort as the stock one. I sent the OEM flywheel to McLeod to have the steel friction insert replaced. It's a lot cheaper than a whole new flywheel and there's no way I'd replace the light OEM aluminum flywheel with a heavier steel one. My car has 600+ rwhp and this clutch grabs hard. My dad has the same clutch in his 650 HP big-block mustang and it holds without a whimper. He wasted a centerforce dual friction behind that motor pretty promptly. The only thing is the engagement is a little tricky as it is quite grabby. But it gets better as you put miles on it. I think this is the strongest streetable single disk clutch before you get into much more expensive dual disk ones.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Im running the centerforce dyad and love it. The pedal effort is very minimal so im running all stock clutch linkage and am glad I retained the hassle free setup.

I still have this one waiting to go in. Cj you still happy with it?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I put a spec 3+ in my car recently to replace the wasted stock clutch. I got the clutch with the light pedal option, and it is easily half as much pedal effort as the stock one. I sent the OEM flywheel to McLeod to have the steel friction insert replaced. It's a lot cheaper than a whole new flywheel and there's no way I'd replace the light OEM aluminum flywheel with a heavier steel one. My car has 600+ rwhp and this clutch grabs hard. My dad has the same clutch in his 650 HP big-block mustang and it holds without a whimper. He wasted a centerforce dual friction behind that motor pretty promptly. The only thing is the engagement is a little tricky as it is quite grabby. But it gets better as you put miles on it. I think this is the strongest streetable single disk clutch before you get into much more expensive dual disk ones.

Pretty much how my friend feels about his 3+. He got the light pedal option as well and is running it with a steel flywheel. This is in a Mach 1 making 460ish hp right now. The biggest thing is he's working on getting full knee replacement surgery and he can still drive the car easily.

Stevenbekah

Cobra bitten
Established Member
I'm not thinking I'll need much more than a stage 2 if I go the Spec route...any other feedback on either Spec or others ?

Also , any feedback on flywheel, needed? Worth it or stay with stock...?

cj428mach

Established Member
I still have this one waiting to go in. Cj you still happy with it?

I am still happy with the DYAD and I would purchase it again if I was in the market for a clutch again. The only thing is in my personal experience the clutch can be harsh until it breaks in but once it does you'll love it. I'm at about 1200 miles now on my clutch and it just keeps getting better every time I drive it.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I am still happy with the DYAD and I would purchase it again if I was in the market for a clutch again. The only thing is in my personal experience the clutch can be harsh until it breaks in but once it does you'll love it. I'm at about 1200 miles now on my clutch and it just keeps getting better every time I drive it.

Awesome great to hear!

wile e coyote

Established Member
Ram powergrip HD, and a fidanza aluminum flywheel in mine.

Just installed the Ram when I did the whipple swap, so no seat time with it yet. However I ran the same clutch in my procharged coyote swap fox and it never missed a beat, so I went with it again. Ive run spec clutch's in a couple cars and liked those also.

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
Look at the McLeod Street Extreme! I just installed one and it is a great alternative to a twin disk if you don't require a twin disk.

Users who are viewing this thread