It's Time to do a Timing chain set ??

gonebrokeracing

Established Member
I was getting what I thought was a bad belt tensioner or idler bearing going bad ( Rotating scraping noise )
I changed all them all still had the sound. Now I was praying it was the water pump. Took the belt of fired it up and still have the sound :mad::mad::mad::mad:
:eek:
After some long screwdriver stethoscoping I determined the sound is coming from the passenger side right around the upper guide.
I see a few timing kits out there some like the ford kit, that's expensive to some scary cheap kits on amazon lol.
My question is what should I look out for or what else should i change.
Do I need to by the kit with the sprockets should I change the oil pump ?

Does anyone have a discount codes for AM or LMR ?

Rolltide1006

Established Member
I was getting what I thought was a bad belt tensioner or idler bearing going bad ( Rotating scraping noise )
I changed all them all still had the sound. Now I was praying it was the water pump. Took the belt of fired it up and still have the sound :mad::mad::mad::mad:
:eek:
After some long screwdriver stethoscoping I determined the sound is coming from the passenger side right around the upper guide.
I see a few timing kits out there some like the ford kit, that's expensive to some scary cheap kits on amazon lol.
My question is what should I look out for or what else should i change.
Do I need to by the kit with the sprockets should I change the oil pump ?

Does anyone have a discount codes for AM or LMR ?

Just get new tensioners, guides and chains. It would be smart to replace the oil pump since you will be right there. No need to get new cam or crank gears. What year and what motor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rolltide1006

Established Member

gonebrokeracing

Established Member
What year is your Mustang? I have a 97 and the timing components such as the tensioners and guides were built better IMO. I got guides, chains and tensioners for 75 bucks
2001 Bullitt Mustang
it's got over a 100k lol the odometer quit working. But oil pressure is still perfect, doesn't burn oil, redline synthetic only. Runs great.
Other then this noise starting to conser me everything else is fine.. I'll be doing the work with the engine still in the car. I considered doing a new oil pump but i don't have oil pressure issues and I don't know if i need to remove the oil pan to get to it?

Rolltide1006

Established Member
2001 Bullitt Mustang
it's got over a 100k lol the odometer quit working. But oil pressure is still perfect, doesn't burn oil, redline synthetic only. Runs great.
Other then this noise starting to conser me everything else is fine.. I'll be doing the work with the engine still in the car. I considered doing a new oil pump but i don't have oil pressure issues and I don't know if i need to remove the oil pan to get to it?

You dont have to remove the oil pan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread