ITT Tech?

supachargd2k5

Established Member
I was just wondering how many of you went to or are attending ITT Tech? I am thinking about attending and just wanted some imput on how the institute was.

inteller

Established Member
do you want to ever achieve something beyond an analyst or technician role? no? then ITT is for you.

If you are looking at corporate advancement....go to an real university with credentials.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I was looking at them. Took the intial test and scored high on it. Then they told me how much it costs and I almost died laughing. They had a very nice facility, but for the price they charged I could be a B.A. for 1/4 of that almost!

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
RTStabler51 said:
I was looking at them. Took the intial test and scored high on it. Then they told me how much it costs and I almost died laughing. They had a very nice facility, but for the price they charged I could be a B.A. for 1/4 of that almost!

+1

inteller

Established Member
it was not my impression that ITT was a place you went to on scholarship. I thought that ITT was a school in the business of making a profit.

those types of places bother me. Because the bottom line takes precedence over your education.

supachargd2k5

Established Member
thanks for all the info guys, yea im not going for sure but was just wanting some first person advice. it was between that or getting into realestate. im still deciding but i dont know about itt now.

NC03BlkSnake

Learn to Swim
Established Member
Easy here guys, I received my degree from ITT in Computer Aided Design and I think it was money well spent. First I didn't have to take and pay for all the garbage classes, second it was only an 18 month degree. I've got a great job with great pay ( I finally got my Cobra! ). I wouldn't know anything about the Electronics program though. It's not a bad place to go for an education, it's real world stuff, not any of the other crap.

Greg

inteller

Established Member
that "crap" is what separates the men from the boys.

you can learn a trade or you can get a well rounded education. In my world, employers prefer the later.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
If you want to pay out the ass for a degree that is not recognized by most of the accreditating places hey thats great. However, I don't like to waste my money (typically speaking). And for the price you paid for your A.A or A.S (I'm assumingsince it was an 18 month program) you could have gotten a B.A. or B.S. at a state school.

Again, IMO, for the amount you pay, and the typical entry level jobs those people are going to get, you're going to be payingo n your school loans for awhile. If you like doing that, then hey, more power to you.

NC03BlkSnake said:
Easy here guys, I received my degree from ITT in Computer Aided Design and I think it was money well spent. First I didn't have to take and pay for all the garbage classes, second it was only an 18 month degree. I've got a great job with great pay ( I finally got my Cobra! ). I wouldn't know anything about the Electronics program though. It's not a bad place to go for an education, it's real world stuff, not any of the other crap.

Greg

Steeltwo

Established Member
i've talked to a few people from ITT Tech. they seemed ok, but a bit big headed about their knowledge. Same goes for the people from brown institute(most anyway).

my friend(not big headed) went to brown, paid alot of money for their one year cert.
The military picked up 850-950 a month. So I think it ran him maybe 2g's total. But he has the same type of job I do(makes the same aswell). And my education ran me maybe 7(thx mom and dad)
and I know I left my college with more knowledge than him.

as for advancements, a 4 yr is a good thing for that.
Knowledge wise, i've meet two people that knew more than me out of the 23908783 that i've met. My brother in law and his friend. Both were uber nerds that makes alot of $ now.
i've met tons and tons of MIS, CS and telecomm students and most only know what they are taught.

inteller

Established Member
I'm curious, on those Westwood COllege commercials they say they might not be available in Texas and Mass. Why is that? Anyone know? I thought maybe those states kicked their asses out for being hacks.

NC03BlkSnake

Learn to Swim
Established Member
inteller said:
that "crap" is what separates the men from the boys.

you can learn a trade or you can get a well rounded education. In my world, employers prefer the later.

So you're calling me a boy because you actually paid to take physical education, History, English, etc. courses again? I'm fairly certain I learned enough of that in High School to get myself through life. For you to say you are better than someone else because you have a degree in college says something about your intelligence or lack there of. Sorry.

Greg

redz_02

Established Member
Some of that other crap is one of the reasons degrees are looked at. They teach things such as personal and job related ethics, advanced writing schools and so on. Your going to tell me a degree from a recognized engineering school can be easily replaced by ITT just because they teach the other crap. Last time I went to college we actualy did go through the technical side of the job field studied also known as your supposed real world stuff. You want training and want to find a good job later, take the military route. I work in IT for a company that holds 75 percent of our market in the world, the majority of the guys I work with were trained in the military in communications technology (com techs) and used they're GI to get a 4 year degree (almost all my boss's). Almost all my co-workers have degrees that teach the other crap. Just remember it has alot to do with how you present yourself, someone from MIT could have trouble getting a job if he was a complete douche. I'm an MIS major from Texas A&M and I just so happen to know more than I was taught. Hell I write my own unix shell, java, and VB scripts to make my job easier, didn't even take these languages in school.

Last edited:

inteller

Established Member
No I CLEP'd out of those. I'm talking about cross discipline electives. If all you ever took were CAD classes then you will never be nothing more than a CAD operator. However if you took marketing, biology, or art classes, then your present or future employer will see you as someone who knows how to comprehend and learn different concepts.

I guess it all depends on how you want to advance in life, and I personally want to have all options on the table and not be a one trick pony.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
funk college. I'll take my high school diploma! :) for now at least...

NC03BlkSnake

Learn to Swim
Established Member
inteller said:
No I CLEP'd out of those. I'm talking about cross discipline electives. If all you ever took were CAD classes then you will never be nothing more than a CAD operator. However if you took marketing, biology, or art classes, then your present or future employer will see you as someone who knows how to comprehend and learn different concepts.

I guess it all depends on how you want to advance in life, and I personally want to have all options on the table and not be a one trick pony.

Wrong. I will be taking the PE test shortly.

inteller

Established Member
Wrong about what? The fact that employers still value well rounded candidates?

So they hand out PE certifications like MCSEs these days?

Users who are viewing this thread