I've got a leak, what it is??

svtar15

Drive fast,Shoot Straight
Established Member
OK Boys and girls, here's my problem:

On the underside of my engine where the oil filter screws in, I have a hole. I don't know what caused the hole, but nonetheless, the hole is there. I repaired it about this time last year with good ol' JB Weld and it held up for one year. I just reapplied the JBW, but I need to have that piece fixed or replaced. So, my question is, what is it, and how much will it cost to fix it roughly?? I need to have it done, so I might as well bite the bullet and go on and do it. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Nick

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
The hole is supposed to be there. You need to tighten the 1/2" allen bolt on your oil filter assembly and/or replace the o-rings to stop the assembly from leaking. Is it leaking oil or coolant?

Don't use JB Weld anymore. Stop jigga rigging your car, run a search for "oil filter," and you'll see plenty of past threads on how to correctly fix this problem.

hawkti

Established Member
The hole is supposed to be there. You need to tighten the 1/2" allen bolt on your oil filter assembly and/or replace the o-rings to stop the assembly from leaking. Is it leaking oil or coolant?

Don't use JB Weld anymore. Stop jigga rigging your car, run a search for "oil filter," and you'll see plenty of past threads on how to correctly fix this problem.

:banana:
he said jigga rigging

svtar15

Established Member
The reason I used the JB in the first place was because a "good mechanic" told me to. He was supposed to be a Mustang guy, so I figured he knew what he was talking about. Guess I was wrong. There's nothing wrong with jigga rigging until you figure out what the problem is and get it fixed. It's not my DD, so it doesn't hurt to let it sit for a day or two.

darksidestalion

Established Member
Yeah just had the same prob with oil leaking out of the small pin hole at the bottom of the oil cooler only on first start up for like a min or two then just stopped, was gona replace the cooler but good thing i didnt I would of been out 185 bucks. So i did a search and yeah tighten the threaded shaft the oil filter screws on to with an 1/2in. allen and you'll b good 2 go!

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
perfectly round 1/8" holes don't just appear out of no where.

Your "good mechanic" is a tard.

Scout238

Eaton Poweredddddd!!!
Established Member
perfectly round 1/8" holes don't just appear out of no where.

Your "good mechanic" is a tard.

:lol:

Take the filter off, spill some oil around, shove a 1/2" hex in the end and tighten... put it back together and try that. If that doesn't work take the threaded shaft out and replace the O ring.

Same thing happened to me... nice and easy. O ring was fine for me.

slick4_6

Established Member
Where were you guys 2 months ago? I replaced mine. It was pretty tight when it was taken off too though.

Mine was a pinhole though, deff not 1/8 inch. Come to think of it there was a hole there but it was not leaking out of it but out of a pin hole that was close to it.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Where were you guys 2 months ago? I replaced mine. It was pretty tight when it was taken off too though.

Mine was a pinhole though, deff not 1/8 inch. Come to think of it there was a hole there but it was not leaking out of it but out of a pin hole that was close to it.

look, I didn't go out there and measure it, but you get my point.

The weep hole is perfectly round. There is about a .001% chance that it could be created by road debris or any other non-man made object.

svtar15

Established Member
I'll try that those two things. Thanks for all the input. I guess that's what I get for listening to a "good mechanic."

Users who are viewing this thread