Jack Stand Placement.

acroholic

Established Member
I'll have to buy a set of jack stands for a Panhard Bar install. The install guide says to jack up the back of the car via the rear diff, then place the rear of the car on jack stands. Do I put them on the factory points in front of the back tires?

acroholic

Established Member
No. They have to be placed on the axle. The suspension needs to be loaded.

Iceman: Here is a customer written installation guide from American Muscle. It specifically states to not support the car by the axels and to support it by the jack points.

http://1.cdn.lib.americanmuscle.com/files/49606-cust.pdf

The Whiteline manufacutrer guide states the same thing: http://1.cdn.lib.americanmuscle.com/files/54109-manu.pdf

Is the guide incorrect? I am not trying to argue with you at all. Can you tell me why the suspension has to be under load for the install vs what this guide is saying?

edit: Actually, I think I see the reason you don't want to place the jack stands under the axle is because you are adjusting the axle itself with the panhard bar, so if the axle is loaded on jackstands it won't want to move when you do adjust the panhard bar. Does that make sense?

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
From the instructions, it looks like they want the rear suspension unloaded to make it easier to replace the bar. After the bar is replaced you will have to put weight on wheels, they suggest placing 2"x10" under the wheels, but the same thing could be accomplished with jack stands under the axle housing.

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
Acroholic,

It is impossible to get the axle centered, if it is not loaded. If you adjust the bar with the suspension drooping, as soon as you put the car down, the axle will shift and will not be even on each side. I have done 25 to 3o of these in the last 7 years.

How to install Adjustable Panhard Bar

acroholic

Established Member
Acroholic,

It is impossible to get the axle centered, if it is not loaded. If you adjust the bar with the suspension drooping, as soon as you put the car down, the axle will shift and will not be even on each side. I have done 25 to 3o of these in the last 7 years.

How to install Adjustable Panhard Bar

OK..so from the different installation guides/videos it does not seem to matter if the suspension is under load or not when installing the panhard bar/brace, as they show it both ways. It is when you adjust it that you want it under load. Sound right?

Thanks for your help in this.

TORQJNKY

Remove the OEM panhard bar with the suspension unloaded. Lay the OEM panhard bar on the floor next to the new panhard bar and adjust it to the lenght of the OEM panhard bar. Install the new panhard bar with the suspenion unloaded. Once it's installed, load the suspension, then center the rear using the adjustment on the new panhard bar. Simple.

acroholic, even with the rear axle loaded, you will be able easily adjust the rear axle. Think of it this way, because the axle will be loaded to a fixed point (floor), instead of shifting the axle under the car you will effectively be shifting the body of the car over the axle.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
but with weight on the axle you will never get it apart

Who told you that? I installed mine with it loaded the whole time.

... Can you tell me why the suspension has to be under load for the install vs what this guide is saying?

edit: Actually, I think I see the reason you don't want to place the jack stands under the axle is because you are adjusting the axle itself with the panhard bar, so if the axle is loaded on jackstands it won't want to move when you do adjust the panhard bar. Does that make sense?

You want the suspension under load because that is its natural state. If you try to adjust the axle while it's unloaded, as soon as you put load on it, it's going to shift out of position again. And to reiterate what TRQJNKY said, the body will shift over the axle as you make your adjustments.

Eviltwins344

Creepy Lurker
Established Member
I have a lift in my garage so I installed the panhard and lower control arms with the suspension unloaded. It did present some difficulty when reinstalling the lower control arms. Upon removal the rear did move back slightly and that, coupled with installing drop brackets (all BMR) the rear end had do be manipulated back into position.

When I removed each of the bars I made it a point to put a bolt thru one end of the new bar and the stocker then adjust the bar so a bolt could be placed at the other end. I INSTALLED BMR BARS THAT HAD ROD ENDS ON BOTH SIDES.

I used a ratcheting tie down to move the axle to where I needed it.

Once all were installed I put the car on the ground and squeezed under it to center the axle and the tire. Still gotta get to an alignment rack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

acroholic

Established Member
Remove the OEM panhard bar with the suspension unloaded. Lay the OEM panhard bar on the floor next to the new panhard bar and adjust it to the lenght of the OEM panhard bar. Install the new panhard bar with the suspenion unloaded. Once it's installed, load the suspension, then center the rear using the adjustment on the new panhard bar. Simple.

acroholic, even with the rear axle loaded, you will be able easily adjust the rear axle. Think of it this way, because the axle will be loaded to a fixed point (floor), instead of shifting the axle under the car you will effectively be shifting the body of the car over the axle.

Thanks again...you have a great way of 'splainin' things!:thumbsup:

I have my jack stands, torque wrench, grease gun, etc....... now I just need the panhard bar and panhard bar brace to get delivered!!!

TORQJNKY

Thanks again...you have a great way of 'splainin' things!:thumbsup:

I have my jack stands, torque wrench, grease gun, etc....... now I just need the panhard bar and panhard bar brace to get delivered!!!

No problem, I work for the government, I'm here to help! :D. You sound like me. I've been waiting patiently two weeks for a 2.9 Whipple to show up :banana:

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
... The install guide says to jack up the back of the car via the rear diff, then place the rear of the car on jack stands...

Anyone else usually try to avoid supporting the entire weight of the back of the car by the center pumpkin? I've seen this done on earlier models and the axle flexes quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread