Jacking Positions

SVT03Snake

Where do you put the jack or jackstands underneath the body??

I used jackstands with a rag doubled up between the subframe and the jackstand. This method still slightly bent the subframe... Is this not the right place to put them?? For now I just use ramps. Where else would you put them with out crushing some thing?:shrug: :bash:

03RedCobra

Established Member
There is a little notched out area a foot or so behind the front tire and a foot or so in front of the rear tire. That's where I put my jack at. That's what it says in the owners manual as well.
Doesn't seem to cause any problems as far as I can tell.

SVT03Snake

Cool man, ya I noticed that jacking spot... I was just under the assumption that you needed a special "notched" adapter to be able to use a floor jack. The peice just looks so flimsy... Kind of looks like this right?
________|--------|--------|________

Nice discription huh?? LOL:beer:

DougieStyle

Banned
i dont know all the names of the parts under the car but its right b4 the shock arm in the front very think piece of metal worked perfect when installing my jlt cai

DougieStyle

Banned
ok i just re read my post and i dont know what i even wrote. i just took advice and used common sense. i had the same problem u are having and made a very simular thread

03RedCobra

Established Member
Make sure your jack is wide enough because when you apply it to the "notched-out" area one piece will start moving upwards with the jack, but then when that piece of metal comes into alignment with the VERY thin pseudo-jacking rail, you will have enough area to jack the car up with no problem. If you don't get the jack aligned up perfectly under the notch, and part of the jack is touching the angled part of the notch, it will push that part up and bend it just a little, otherwise, the area doesn't get harmed.

Now, jack your car up at that point, and try to open your car door !! This will DEFINITELY show you how these Cobras need some sort of Subframe connector with jacking rail. The body flexed a Considerable amount. I've ordered my Subframe connectors from HANS Racecraft.

SVT03Snake

I have the Ford Factory Sub-Frame conectors (convertible) but they don't look like they could stand up to using them as a jacking support.

CyberDaveA

Established Member
This is a diagram for the jacking points in a Bullitt mustang...

Besides the solid axle points in the rear... are the rest of them the same in our cobra's?!?

jacking.jpg

Last edited:

beabout

Established Member
CyberDaveA, is correct the illustartion is straight out of the 2003 shop manual......

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I belive the middle four positions shown on that diagram are for a lift or scissor jack points. If you use those (like I did) you will definately bend/crush those areas. And of course you don't want to jack it up by the control arms that will simply compress your suspension. I still haven't found a great place for the jack so I use a lift.

capnlbj

Beam Me Up Scotty!
Established Member
What about using the aftermarket, welded subframe connectors as jacking points? If I'm not mistaken, my dealer lifted the rear of my car that way.

1bad2v

Established Member
yes..that's why they are here for...I usually jack my car on the aftermarket Griggs subframes i have...
u can always get KB jacking rails too

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread