Jaguar S Type-R

Fire Pig

Established Member
I was looking through eBay when I stumbled upon some jaguar Type Rs for sale.
I see that these things never sold too well and now they are going for dirt cheap.
Seen a couple as low as $13-15k.
Not bad for a 400HP luxury car, but Im sure theres an awful reason!

Are Jaguars that crappy of a vehicle?
Do Ford Dealerships service these things?
Are late 90s early 2000 model XK8's cheap performance platforms?

Fire Pig

Established Member
No I have no desire! To own one..I was just always curious about these less common vehicles!

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
in all fairness though. some have no problems what so ever it seems....but the biggest complaint was electrical gremlins. no known engine/transmission issues. if your lucky and don't get the bugged ones, most are very happy with them.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
in all fairness though. some have no problems what so ever it seems....but the biggest complaint was electrical gremlins. no known engine/transmission issues. if your lucky and don't get the bugged ones, most are very happy with them.

My father-in-law has one and it is a awesome thing when it runs. Very beautiful car and decently fast for what it is.....

It stays in the shop with alarming regularity though......Always some type of electrical issue or another.....And it seems like the standard rate for every repair is $1k to $1.5k (and we're talking almost every other month it seems like).....

Beautiful car but you couldn't give me one.....

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I had an S Type R keep up with me when I was stock. They are pretty fast and there's a company called Arden that does some pretty cool upgrades for Jags.

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
I've always thought that they were pretty ugly. I've known two that have owned them and I just didn't like the looks.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
the XJRs are better cars, they are so old that all of their issues have been ironed out. beautiful sedans(much better looking than the S), and the newer ones(05+ i believe) are very lightweight for what they are because of their all aluminum chassis and body(~3600lbs!).

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
the XJRs are better cars, they are so old that all of their issues have been ironed out. beautiful sedans(much better looking than the S), and the newer ones(05+ i believe) are very lightweight for what they are because of their all aluminum chassis and body(~3600lbs!).

The new Jags are some of the most trouble free cars out there right now. They seem to have gotten a lot of their issues under control the past few years.

I'll take an XFR or the new redesigned XJR when it breaks cover.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
oh yea, the brand new ones are great! even the mid-late 90's XJs are rock solid though. i want one of those XJRs so bad!

im worried about the redesigned XJ, the current model is, IMO, the most beautiful sedan on the face of the earth! love those things!

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
I always thought the Type R had the detuned 4.6 supercharged V8. They should run good and be easy to "wake up". I don't know about the electrical issues though.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
I always thought the Type R had the detuned 4.6 supercharged V8. They should run good and be easy to "wake up". I don't know about the electrical issues though.
nope, the AJV8 used in the R cars was either a supercharged 4.0l or a supercharged 4.2l. aston martin had NA 4.3 and 4.7l versions of the AJV8, and land rover both a supercharged 4.2l and NA 4.4l version. with the release of the newest jaguars comes the direct injection 5.0l version of the AJV8, which is still supercharged(eaton TVS) in the R cars.

the most interesting part about the AJV8 engine is that it is basically a ford duratec 2.5l/3.0l, which are VERY closely related to the newer 3.5l/3.7l V6(basically an evoloution of the previous engine), with 2 extra cylinders(different bore/stroke). the SHO V8 that was used in the 96-99 taurus SHO is a duratec 2.5l with 2 extra cylinders. the SHO V8 has been used since 2005 in volvos, but bored and stroked to 4.4l. the aston martin 6.0l V12 is also a duratec 3.0l V6, with 6 extra cylinders. think about it before anyone gives ford engines shit next time;-)

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
That 6.0L V12 that went into the Vanquish was also a derivation of the quad turbo V12 used in the GT90 concept car.

Users who are viewing this thread