JLP Comp. R

Jeff_Svt22

Established Member
Well I think i am getting ready to take the plunge and pick up one of the JLP Comp. R kits. My question is would you guys get the kit with or without the high flow cats?
I know alot of people say this kit is only for the built trucks and that if Im not built im not going to see much of a gain, but i mainly just love the sound anyway and after I get out of school I plan on going built anyway.
and hopefully I may try to pick up a PI stall this round of mods too.

Anyone out there have this kit?

Last edited:

PhLoBuS

JDM/KB Lightning
Established Member
Its definetly the way to go... I am going with the JDM silverbullet catback. I already have Kooks longtubes so it sounds great. I would highly recommend a stall converter especially if you go with a built block with some decent cams.

HIVOLTG

Go SKERS!
Established Member
I can't vouch for how it sounds as my truck doesnt run... but it went together great! use lots of anti-seize, and I ordered NO CATS... which I have read is very loud at WOT

Harley#356

9.89 @ 138.78 in a HD!
Established Member
do you DD the truck, or drive it pretty frequently? If you do I'd get cats. I've got the catless on mine and its LOUD! I've had several setups on my truck before, and heard nearly every other combo on other trucks, and the comp-r is by far the deepest and loudest of any. Even at idle is deep and loud. I've heard the catted version and its not much quieter, but enough where its more DD friendly. Plus you don't have to worry about the smell of the exhaust with no cats.

I just picked up a second 2000 HD, I"m going to supercharge it this winter and add teh comp-r, but since I plan on driving this one more frequently I"m going catted comp-r on this one

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
Plus you don't have to worry about the smell of the exhaust with no cats.

this is the biggest reason for me to use cats...that smell is just nasty.

my only gripe bout the JLP R's are the "slip" on collectors. granted a "piece it together" type header setup makes installation easier but its more worries for about leaks...and my luck sucks ass

MiaLightning

Established Member
i have the kooks LT's, at first i had no cats and it was fun for about a week, then i started getting headaches from that loud noise and ended up installing the cats.. plus with all that exhaust noise you could barely hear the supercharger.. If you drive your truck daily i would recommend cats..

Harley#356

9.89 @ 138.78 in a HD!
Established Member
this is the biggest reason for me to use cats...that smell is just nasty.

my only gripe bout the JLP R's are the "slip" on collectors. granted a "piece it together" type header setup makes installation easier but its more worries for about leaks...and my luck sucks ass

good amount of antisieze on all the pieces so they slip together easily, a rubber mallet and a 2x4 so you don't bend a lip, and tap the collectors on and you shouldn't have any leaks. I've installed mine twice so far since I swapped motors last year, and I bought them used to begin with, so 3 installs and still zero leaks. Not to mention hands down the easiest installing LT's I've ever done!

Jeff_Svt22

Established Member
i dont DD my truck, it might get driven once out of every two weeks. But i still think i am going to go with the cats to help with some of the sound. I dont want to drown out that supercharger sound too much..lol

Add Name Here

Hook Damn It Hook
Established Member
I currently have the JDM/Kooks LT, Silver Bullet System with no cats. It's loud and I love it. I don't DD my truck though but I really want the JLP CompR kit. post vids either way!!! :)

GK_crewchief

Kenne Bell Boosted
Established Member
I have the JLP Comp R exhaust... here is a small video clip.
[ame=http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Ford-Lightning-with-built_691992.htm]Ford Lightning with built motor - Car Videos on StreetFire[/ame]

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
You want it load = with cats
You want it insanely loud = no cats

Just for reference, I have scared many children (no, I was not trying to do that) with my Dynatech system with cats.

Jeff_Svt22

Established Member
I wish there was someone here local with the jlp kit because i have never had the oppertunity of hearing it in person. But from what i can tell from hearing it on the computer, i like it. I just hope its not one of those systems that are SO loud that they sound bad.

Users who are viewing this thread