JLT 12" CAI installed (with pics)

Jorday

Established Member
Got the job finished last night. I put some new plugs in it at the same time because I was having a very slight rough idle. The gap was WAY small on one of the stock plugs...not sure how this happened. I didn't check it but if I had to guess I'd say .020" maybe less. Anyway, the new plugs fixed the idle.

So back to the cold air kit. The install took me a while considering it was just an intake. The 12" long cone filter is HUGE. I tried to get it in without removing the front wheel and fender liner, and it wasn't happening. I give it a thumbs up so far. I drove the car to school today and I like the increased blower noise compared to the stock intake. Here are the pics. I thought about doing some pics of the job, but I figured it had probably already been done before.

The paint on the intake pipe on the pipe is really nice.
CAI001.gif

and another...
CAI002.gif

Engine's kinda dirty...I haven't had a chance to really clean it up nice yet. :idea:

Jorday

Established Member
that's what came with the kit. I'm going to hook it back up to the intake eventually, but I didn't have a big drill bit to drill into the big rubber elbow.

mosconiac

Established Member
Also, the reducer just forward of the MAF is different than the one that came on my kit. Is that the JLT piece or something you added?

EnginePassengerSide--small.jpg

o4cOb|2a

Wheel Hop 4 Life
Established Member
Just curious why you went with a 12" kit with stock boost? Looks good thats the first I've seen the breather sit upright like that. My kit looks exactly like Mosconiac's. I think JLT changed that piece your talking about not to long ago.

mosconiac

Established Member
o4cOb|2a said:
Just curious why you went with a 12" kit with stock boost?
Since my photo shows the stock upper, I can assume this might have been aimed at me. If so, I have an 8# lower (still not sufficient to warrant the 12" though) but I intended to give myself room to grow with more Eaton boost or a KB/Whipple upgrade.

Jorday

Established Member
o4cOb|2a said:
Just curious why you went with a 12" kit with stock boost? Looks good thats the first I've seen the breather sit upright like that. My kit looks exactly like Mosconiac's. I think JLT changed that piece your talking about not to long ago.

i want to order a KB or whipple eventually.

dun4791

Established Member
The reducers are like the one in the picture now.they were changed.

You can take the fitting out of the stock breather hose and hook it to the chrome breather, so it will sit right.

I had to cut some of my inner fender to get the filter to go in, I had to alter my HE lines for my Gords and didnt have enough room.......this was horrible.

What are you guys using for a gasket between the MAF and the aluminum adapter that comes with the kit. There is a gap between these on my car and I will be sucking air through if I dont find a gasket. Maybe its because I have a 2400 MAF? The feet sit up a little............I would think someone with the 2400 will chime in..............Lyle

o4cOb|2a

Wheel Hop 4 Life
Established Member
mosconiac said:
Since my photo shows the stock upper, I can assume this might have been aimed at me. If so, I have an 8# lower (still not sufficient to warrant the 12" though) but I intended to give myself room to grow with more Eaton boost or a KB/Whipple upgrade.
No sorry should have clarified I was refering to him not you. I asked because I saw the stock pulley cover in his pictures.

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
Cool man, I'm thinking about upgrading to the 12" kit when I put my stage 3 eaton on, I have the regular one on right now. I live pretty close to you, maybe I've seen you around.

moddedmystic

Established Member
Jorday said:
Got the job finished last night. I put some new plugs in it at the same time because I was having a very slight rough idle. The gap was WAY small on one of the stock plugs...not sure how this happened. I didn't check it but if I had to guess I'd say .020" maybe less. Anyway, the new plugs fixed the idle.

Sounds like detonation, make sure your using the right octane fuel. Think about getting a custom tune,taking it to the dyno, and checking your A/F. Just to be safe.

~Mark A

Jorday

Established Member
The reducer in my pics is the one that came with my kit. Are the aftermarket MAFs bigger in diameter?

dun4791,
You are right, the breather will fit on the stock plastic fitting if you remove the stock curved rubber hose from it. I didn't look like it would fit at first when I was installing the kit so I didn't try it, but I just went out to the garage and took apart and it does fit.

I actually did not like the way the breather looked so I took it off and drilled a hole in the intake to hook the pcv back up normally. I think the kit wanted you to use the 90 with a piece of rubber hose and then use a double barbed fitting to connect to the intake. Instead, I just used the stock fitting and stock hose with the double barb thing and it worked fine.

Jorday

Established Member
dun4791 said:
What are you guys using for a gasket between the MAF and the aluminum adapter that comes with the kit. There is a gap between these on my car and I will be sucking air through if I dont find a gasket. Maybe its because I have a 2400 MAF? The feet sit up a little............I would think someone with the 2400 will chime in..............Lyle

Sorry, I didn't see this when I posted a minute ago...

I just used the stock gasket right there. I was careful when I took the stock intake apart not to rip it and it worked fine.

mjz,
I'm in East Lansing a lot because I go to school at MSU, but I'm still around the Flint area a fair amount.

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
Jorday said:
mjz,
I'm in East Lansing a lot because I go to school at MSU, but I'm still around the Flint area a fair amount.
Nice. I am in flint quite a bit too, I'm surprised I havent seen you. I go to school in saginaw. Maybe we can meet up this summer.

Jorday

Established Member
Well, I just got this car is one reason why you haven't seen me, but yeah maybe we can mee up once it warms up outside.

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
Jorday said:
Well, I just got this car is one reason why you haven't seen me, but yeah maybe we can mee up once it warms up outside.
Oh ok, because I've only seen 2-3 terminators in my area ever besides mine. If your interested in meeting up with a bunch of guys with these cars check out motor city terminators. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=185
We meet up alot during the summer, go on cruises, go to the drag strip and so on.

Users who are viewing this thread