jlt cai expected performance gains?

04mysticvert

Established Member
I am installing the jlt cai tomorrow and was wondering what hp and tq numbers I should expect to have. I don't have a tune for it yet. I have bbk catted x-pipe with magnaflow catback all 2.5 in diameter. I also done the boost by pass, not sure if that gives any extra power. Thanks in advance guys.

Do I need a tune for this intake?

Last edited:

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
I'd put an upper pulley on the car (2.76", 2.80" or 2.93") and then get a tune with the CAI ... you'll feel some power then!!

I'd still get the car dyno'd with the CAI only....JLT claims around 25-30 rwhp

04mysticvert

Established Member
Ok thanks, actually installed last night. I can defenitly tell a difference over the stock intake. The car pulls harder and the supercharger whine is crazy. I would like to purchase a kit with the tuner, pulley, aux, belt and plugs. Any suggestions on where to find one? I am taking the car to fastlane motorsports at the beginning of the year to have it dyno tuned.

I purchased the stage 4 spec clutch, but I have to send it back to get a 26 spline input shaft. I want to run in the 7's in the 1/8th before changing pullies.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Here's a decent example. My car bone stock made 376rwhp. Same dyno, same day, the car made 392rwhp by taking out the air silencer and filter. When I had it dyno'd with the JLT cold air kit and a Bassani CB it made 406rwhp. The JLT looked nicer to me, but what is really freeing up the power here? From my personal experience, the silencer and paper filter was worth 16rwhp when removed. The tune was still way too rich up top on any of the pulls too. Stock tune and something silly like 10.4 A/F from 5000 up.

04mysticvert

Established Member
Here's a decent example. My car bone stock made 376rwhp. Same dyno, same day, the car made 392rwhp by taking out the air silencer and filter. When I had it dyno'd with the JLT cold air kit and a Bassani CB it made 406rwhp. The JLT looked nicer to me, but what is really freeing up the power here? From my personal experience, the silencer and paper filter was worth 16rwhp when removed. The tune was still way too rich up top on any of the pulls too. Stock tune and something silly like 10.4 A/F from 5000 up.

So, should I wait and have a dyno tune? I plan on getting the 2.76 upper pulley and spark plugs. Also, I am not sure if a sct tune would work or if I should do a dyno tune. I heard that you have to install a chip to do a dyno tune that cost about $200 for the chip and then another $300 for the dyno. So, I dont know what I should do.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
So, should I wait and have a dyno tune? I plan on getting the 2.76 upper pulley and spark plugs. Also, I am not sure if a sct tune would work or if I should do a dyno tune. I heard that you have to install a chip to do a dyno tune that cost about $200 for the chip and then another $300 for the dyno. So, I dont know what I should do.

I would wait for the dyno tune. The SCT handheld will do what the chip does, but without the hassle of taking the computer out and plugging a chip into it. Your tuner will be able to load the tune into the handheld and then just plug it in your car and there it is. Much easier than messing with the computer.
I wish I would have just gotten the handheld when I did mine. I have a chip and had it in and out so much that the connection went bad, too loose, and I had to get a new chip. Guess it's a good thing that I am friends with the tuner.

Users who are viewing this thread