JLT Intake vs. Resonator Delete with Airaid Filter

Blackdevil77

Established Member
I'm just wondering, between the JLT 127 intake and just doing a resonator delete with the Airaid filter, which makes more power? Does one make more power than the other? I just read in another thread that somebody that had an OR/ X pipe, throttle body, pulley and tune put on the JLT intake and got no gains from doing so. It seems like all the gains as far as air intake, are to be had with the throttle body. Since the throttle body seems to be the bottle neck, is there a reason to go to the JLT intake other than appearance?

BOOCOCKY

Established Member
Are you confusing the JLT resonator delete and the 127 mm? If you put a 127 mm on you need a tune and will get gains but if you do the JLT or Ford res delete you don't need a tune. I think that's what your asking .

Blackdevil77

Established Member
Sorry, I was asking if there is power to be gained by going with the 127mm intake over just doing a frpp or jlt resonator delete with filter. One post I read in another thread suggests there are no additional gains to be had by doing the full 127mm intake over just doing the resonator delete with filter.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
The JLT looks much better under the hood. The FRPP piece opens up from the exit of the stock filter to match the throttle body opening so it definitely flows much more than the stock resonator. The MAF housing is larger on the JLT. Bang for buck and stealthiness favors the FRPP, looks and outright flow favor the JLT.

Blackdevil77

Established Member
The JLT looks much better under the hood. The FRPP piece opens up from the exit of the stock filter to match the throttle body opening so it definitely flows much more than the stock resonator. The MAF housing is larger on the JLT. Bang for buck and stealthiness favors the FRPP, looks and outright flow favor the JLT.

So how much more power is there to be had with going with the JLT 127mm over the FRPP resonator delete piece? Appearance isn't really a priority, but if I had to choose, I like the idea of stealth. If there really isn't much or any power to be gained with the 127mm JLT over the FRPP resonator delete, then I personally think I'd rather go with the FRPP. It's just less stuff that has to be changed in the tune.

paluka21

Established Member
It's hard to say. I know VFORCEJOHN picked up 25rwhp with the FRPP resonator delete and airaid filter on his dyno. I've seen a 1psi increase in boost with the same parts.
IMO, you're going to pick up more power with the JLT 127mm because you also have to tune the car to run this piece.

Blackdevil77

Established Member
It's hard to say. I know VFORCEJOHN picked up 25rwhp with the FRPP resonator delete and airaid filter on his dyno. I've seen a 1psi increase in boost with the same parts.
IMO, you're going to pick up more power with the JLT 127mm because you also have to tune the car to run this piece.

That's very interesting. The car will likely be tuned anyway, so there should be no difference there. I'm liking the sound of the FRPP resonator delete right now.

paluka21

Established Member
That's very interesting. The car will likely be tuned anyway, so there should be no difference there. I'm liking the sound of the FRPP resonator delete right now.

I'm happy with the FRPP resonator delete and it's look, but know it is limited and there are better pieces out there. I also like the look of the JLT resonator delete which can come custom painted to your color choice. I know Norton made some impressive numbers with just this part and an air filter installed.
K&N also makes a cold air kit that they claim does not require a tune.

Blackdevil77

Established Member
I'm happy with the FRPP resonator delete and it's look, but know it is limited and there are better pieces out there. I also like the look of the JLT resonator delete which can come custom painted to your color choice. I know Norton made some impressive numbers with just this part and an air filter installed.
K&N also makes a cold air kit that they claim does not require a tune.

What are it's limitations? I'm guessing the benefits of the extra flow of the 127mm JLT are more noticeable with significantly higher horsepower levels than stock. I'm looking to be in the ballpark of 700-ish rwhp, maybe a tad over.

paluka21

Established Member
What are it's limitations? I'm guessing the benefits of the extra flow of the 127mm JLT are more noticeable with significantly higher horsepower levels than stock. I'm looking to be in the ballpark of 700-ish rwhp, maybe a tad over.

The size and the fact that you're still using the stock throttle body rubber coupler instead of a straight piece. It definitely won't flow as well as some of the aftermarket cold air intakes, but for the money, no tune required, and an upgraded appearance, I was happy....for now.

FRPP resonator delete.jpg

Last edited:

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
I went w/ the JLT 127, I was also considering the Res delete so that I didn't void the warranty on the car by tuning it , but I knew in the long run I would end up going w/ the JLT 127 to gain the extra power and I hate buying parts just to end up replacing them later on. Check out the classifieds on here, I picked up my JLT 127, FRPP twin 65 and SCT Tuner for 1/2 what it would cost new.

Last edited:

Blackdevil77

Established Member
I went w/ the JLT 127, I was also considering the Res delete so that I didn't void the warranty on the car by tuning it , but I knew in the long run I would end up going w/ the JLT 127 to gain the extra power and I hate buying parts just to end up replacing them later on. Check out the classifieds on here, I picked up my JLT 127, FRPP twin 65 and SCT Tuner for 1/2 what it would cost new.

In the end, I plan on having a 10% lower pulley, FRPP throttle body, either JLT 127 intake OR the FRPP resonator delete with airaid filter and Lund tune. After all this, I might add exhaust if I get bored. My question basically is, will I have more power with these mods with the JLT 127mm over the resonator delete, or is there no difference between the two as far as power? Reason I'm asking is if there is no real gains to be had with these mods by going with the 127 JLT intake over the resonator delete, then I'd rather go with the resonator delete since it doesn't mess with the maf as much.

einehund

Established Member
I know it's not exactly the motor as yours, but on my '10, I've got the JLT resonator delete. I've got a 2.59 upper and 10% lower, and was told by two different reputable tuners that my MAF is maxed out with the 110mm and I need to step up in size. So if your plans play out, you'll need a bigger intake anyway. Both tuners said the 123 is plenty enough to support anything I want to do, bolt on wise. The 127 is no longer offered, but if you get a used one, it will support slightly more than the 123, but realistically there is no difference between the two.

Blackdevil77

Established Member
I know it's not exactly the motor as yours, but on my '10, I've got the JLT resonator delete. I've got a 2.59 upper and 10% lower, and was told by two different reputable tuners that my MAF is maxed out with the 110mm and I need to step up in size. So if your plans play out, you'll need a bigger intake anyway. Both tuners said the 123 is plenty enough to support anything I want to do, bolt on wise. The 127 is no longer offered, but if you get a used one, it will support slightly more than the 123, but realistically there is no difference between the two.

I actually have the 127 Carbon fiber JLT intake sitting in a box in my house. I ordered it from American Muscle when I heard they stopped making them. Still haven't put it on the car, I need a tb and tune from Van first. Just have to decide if I wanna go resonator delete or a 127 JLT tube. That and I'll know after Saturday if I'm keeping my Shelby. Odds are, I am.

oh and add a clutch to your list haha as soon as you tune youll need one :)

A clutch and axles are on the list as well. I just didn't mention them since they have nothing to do with making power.

Brickell gt500

Established Member
That was me who gained 0hp and 0 tq with the 123mm JLT intake. I had the JLT carbon fiber tube with airaid filter, tb, tune, and pulley. Close to 700 hp/tq. Clutch is stock with 28k. Axles are stock as well. So, in my experience those aren't necessary. Save your money.

Blackdevil77

Established Member
That was me who gained 0hp and 0 tq with the 123mm JLT intake. I had the JLT carbon fiber tube with airaid filter, tb, tune, and pulley. Close to 700 hp/tq. Clutch is stock with 28k. Axles are stock as well. So, in my experience those aren't necessary. Save your money.

So you had a resonator delete kit from JLT and gained nothing by going to a 123mm intake, or did you have something other intake that wasn't exactly just a resonator delete and filter? Based on your findings, what would you recommend?

paluka21

Established Member
I actually have the 127 Carbon fiber JLT intake sitting in a box in my house. I ordered it from American Muscle when I heard they stopped making them. Still haven't put it on the car, I need a tb and tune from Van first. Just have to decide if I wanna go resonator delete or a 127 JLT tube. That and I'll know after Saturday if I'm keeping my Shelby. Odds are, I am.

A clutch and axles are on the list as well. I just didn't mention them since they have nothing to do with making power.

Add gears to your list and it will look almost complete! :beer:

Brickell gt500

Established Member
I had the JLT carbon fiber tube (not sure if they sell those still) and airaid filter. The JLT didn't have a resonator. The car made 600 hp with that with on the base hit.

I might be a anomaly on this forum. That was just my experience. Another weird experience is the JLT carbon fiber tube picked up cooler air than the JLT 123. On the factory intake gauge.

Users who are viewing this thread