JLT Owners come inside

sweet10th

Established Member
Ok i just got my JLT CAI yesterday and was curious if anybody else out there was having / had any issues with fitting.

I spent two nights on this now and cannot get it lined up worth a shit.
Firstly the big rubber elbow that goes on the throttle body is at the wrong angle , is it normal for this to be cut at the right angle ?

Then there is the breather tube which i cant get lined up with the valve cover.
Its also pressing hard against my new ford gt coil covers :eek:
The filter is pressing hard against the intercooler hoses (almost kinking them) and the plastic inner fender will not screw back onto the front bumper as the filter is too big (it seems to big at least).

Anybody else had these issues.

Kafn8td

Viperia Aspis
Established Member
Al - I haven't put mine on the 04 yet, but on my 01 it was fairly straight forward. I have it (04) sitting in the garage if you want to compare parts. I'm in Rosemount...

Rick

davbrucas

Banned
i installed mine by myself...PITA but it went on. you are going to have to turn the TB elbow down a bit for it to line up. i would get the TB side done first and bolted in, then work on the filter part. i put the filter on the MAF with the rubber connector and pushed in on the pipe until it popped in place...then tightened it down...good luck.

torquefreak

Established Member
A trick I have used before is to put the rubber pieces in the micrwave for several seconds to heat up the rubber to make it easier,but pay attention while doing so!!

WraithCobra

Don't want a GT500
Established Member
:shrug: I threw mine on in about 20 min, at midnight, and went for a drive.

Put it together on the bench. Tighten the filter onto the MAF adapter but don't tighten anything else. Move both ends of the painted tube deep into the rubber joints. Put it under the hood, filter first then onto the TB. Tighten the TB clamp and wiggle/move the center to where you like it and tighten both the clamps. That's how I did it.

sweet10th

Established Member
I did pretty much what you guys said to do.
However i cannot slide the pipe in the throttle body elbow enough to make the valve breather line up with outlet on the JLT.
I installed the pipe first through the fender then onto the throttle body elbow which didnt seem too bad then i pushed the Maf / adapter and filter onto the pipe in the fender and everything was in the way and is now forced , plastic inner fender , intercooler hoses , etc.
One intercooler hose is really hard against the filter and im sure in the not so distant future will rub through the filter element.
Maybe i'll throw the BBK CAI back on.

1 bad bullitt

Do'in it in the dirt
Established Member
Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, United Stat
WraithCobra said:
:shrug: I threw mine on in about 20 min, at midnight, and went for a drive.

Put it together on the bench. Tighten the filter onto the MAF adapter but don't tighten anything else. Move both ends of the painted tube deep into the rubber joints. Put it under the hood, filter first then onto the TB. Tighten the TB clamp and wiggle/move the center to where you like it and tighten both the clamps. That's how I did it.

says you have the RAi, thats a tottaly different animal

the CAI is a major pain, play around with it a bit. I found the easiest way is to mate the filter to the maf and cai tube already assembled first. Then install the elbow to the throttle body ensuring it is as close as posible to the TB all the way around, then tighten the clamp to the TB. Then lastly install the Tb side of the cai pipe into the elbow, I uses a little bit of soapy water and it went in smooth, As for fender well clearance it is impossible to get the IC hoses not to touch the filter but you should be able to get them good enough no to kink them. I cut a small bit of the bottom of the inner fenderwell so the filter had a little mor e room.

Tucker

If you use soapy water on the connections so you can twist it around it should fit no problem.
It is a tight fit and I state this in the first few lines in the directions, but it does fit. over 400 of them are out there now.
It will just touch the coil cover and the strut tower. It's huge and not ment to be there, but the size is where the power comes from.
Also the cooling line will touch the filter, it should not kink the line. More adjusting need to be done.
If you just can't get it let me know.

Fast Willy

Established Member
Just turn the elbow until you get it at the right angel. It is a tight squeze but it fits. And where the filter is and how it hits the hose that is normal atleast with mine it is. Its not big problem atleast I havnt had one yet.

mosconiac

Established Member
You can EASILY shorten the intercooler line with a simple knife to avoid interference. I'm installing the 12" CAI so that 12" filter needs some ROOM. Here's a photo of how much I trimmed off.

IMG_3929beforesmall.jpg

EDIT: I'm Adding this pic so you can see what results from trimming the IC line. Note how far forward the lower IC line is after a little trimming as compared to above. I also took the section I cut off and split so I could install it as a buffer between the hoses to avoid wear.

IMG_3931aftersmall.jpg

Last edited:

sweet10th

Established Member
Cool , thanks guys.
Im gonna play around with it some more now.
Im not bad mouthing this kit either , it looks awesome and im sure it performs as good as it looks.
Just got pissed last night installing it for the second night in a row with cuts n scrapes all over my hands and wrists , lol.
Im sure ill manage it somehow , my main concern was the kinked intercooler hose.
Thanks again....and thanks for the tip on shortening the hose too , might do that.

DNeinstadt

Established Member
I used a loose ziptie to get the intercooler hoses to not touch the filter.

Jay makes a good product. I'm sure he can vouch for how many I've sent to him. :)
Dan

SIC SNK

Established Member
Mine went on so easy i went to work called my buddy came home and he was out testing it :burnout:

Tucker

DNeinstadt said:
I used a loose ziptie to get the intercooler hoses to not touch the filter.

Jay makes a good product. I'm sure he can vouch for how many I've sent to him. :)
Dan
Dan, you are the man for sure. :bowdown:
I will be testing the 04 F-150 in the next week or so. If all goes well I have a kit with your name on it. :-D

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
Mine took a little finesse but nothing too difficult. The main issue I had was the filter being too oily and slipping off the tube. I cleaned off the part that slidesover the tupe with carb cleaner and roughened the rubber up with some sand paper to help it grip.

Users who are viewing this thread