JLT Pre-filter not fitting right on pass side?

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
I actually have a 99 Cobra, so I got this more for sustained high rpm with sucking oil, no blower yet :D

Anyway, the drivers side went on with no problems, but the pass side is the issue. I am installing it just like the instructions here : http://jlttruecoldair.com/instructions/PCV Pre-Filter Install.pdf

However, the black fitting that goes on top of the pre-filter doesn't go down deep enough like in the picture, and it also doesn't go deep enough to actually work. On mine when I go as far as I can, it still leaves half the threads on top, so the whole ass'y is too tall for the hose to reach. The PCV fit perfectly in the other one, all the way in, just like it would go into the valve cover w/o the pre-filter. I guess if I need to buy another PCV to use on the pass side I will, but it seems like I'm missing something anyway :??:

Obviously I feel dumb already for having to ask this on something relatively minor, but I'm excited about not drinking oil (or at least lessening it!) and want to get this on.

Thanks!

Eric

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Got some pics, I'll narrate as we go :D

The first two here are what its supposed to look like, and this is without the actual mesh filter inside the piece :

IMG_2867.jpg

IMG_2871.jpg

Next one here is with the filter inside, and as you can see, if I push it past a certain point (in my case, with 5-6 threads showing) the grommet pushes out; don't mind it looks wise but....

IMG_2872.jpg

As you can see below, the ass'y becomes too tall, so the black plastic elbow is pulled out of the top of the piece and/or the piece starts to come out of the valve cover.

IMG_2875.jpg

IMG_2879.jpg

I went to Autozone and Home Depot and couldn't find any plastic elbows like this that were shorter, but even if there were 5-6 threads showing (the pic above shows 2-3 threads) I dont mind, but then its too tall.

Short of going to Autozone and looking through all their heater hoses for one thats close enough, I don't know what I should do. In fact, I wouldn't even mind doing that at Autozone, I just don't know one way or the other if the hose will stand up to oil.

Thanks!

01yellercobra

Established Member
You could just cut down the elbow so it sits flush. You'll probably have to get some hose for it though. They should have some vacuum hose about that size you can use.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
A threaded fitting for a rubber grommet?

Go to vatozone and get a ford pcv elbow. It'll replace what you have and will fit in there better.

I went to a catch can with a breather setup on my race car. Eliminated the pcv system alltogether. Much cheaper and keeps the intake tract much cleaner.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
I don't mind the PCV setup, and here in Cali we have to anyway :-(

I went to AZ and couldn't find any type of elbow that would work, looked in the Help! section and the PCV section. Any chance you know of something that will work?

EDIT : I asked Jay at JLT and showed pics and all I got was "Return it if your not happy with it." Nothing else, just that so I guess I am just shipping them back for a refund.

Thanks!

Eric

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I don't mind the PCV setup, and here in Cali we have to anyway :-(

I haven't had a PCV system for about a year now.:rolling:

I went to AZ and couldn't find any type of elbow that would work, looked in the Help! section and the PCV section. Any chance you know of something that will work?

EDIT : I asked Jay at JLT and showed pics and all I got was "Return it if your not happy with it." Nothing else, just that so I guess I am just shipping them back for a refund.

Thanks!

Eric

That's the section I'd check. Did you look for an actual PCV valve?

Gotta love customer service.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Would heater hose work ok, and last a long time as well? I'm sure I can get a heater hose that has the right angles and length, and I'll try and cut it with a dremel instead of a hacksaw, maybe it won't get messed up as bad.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
The oil will break heater hose down. I tried it and then ended up using 1/2" oil cooler hose on my catch can setup.

Use a pair of garden shears or tree shears to cut the hose, straight clean cuts.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Well I used a small hand saw to cut a few threads off the end, and used a lighter to heat up the end to get rid of the small pieces of plastic still left after cutting. It now goes deep enough into the filter to have it work with the stock hose, but just barely.

I'll get some oil cooler hose from AZ later today, I want to say it is 5/8" but not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread