JLT RAI Question

2004BlackCobra

Established Member
I have read all the threads I could find about CAI's and still have not decided on which one to go with. I have narrowed it down to the FIPK and The JLT RAI. Two questions though:

1)Does the RAI make the s/c scream like the K&N? (I really like that)

2)There was some mention of K&N being C.A.R.B. legal and smog requirements. Are there any problems smogging the car with the RAI? or the K&N for that matter?

Thanks for any information that is provided.

Seabiscuit

GIDDY-UP!!!
Established Member
I just received my RAI from JLT(although haven't installed it yet). I was in the same boat as you, trying to decide.
To answer your questions:

1. I believe it does make the whine a little more audible, but not sure to the extent of the K&N.
2. The powerstack filter that Jay uses are by S&B. S&B had stated that their filters are CARB approved(says it somewhere on their site). As far as SMOG--I used to have a 97' cobra with a CAI from WMS racing. There was no CARB # whatsoever on it, and the car passed. I called the DMV and was told the big thing they look for is that number. If you have certified # on it--there is no reason it shouldn't pass.
As for my personal opinions on why I went with the RAI over the K&N:

1. I had read on this forum in another discussion that when subjected to high heat or vacuum or a combination of both--the K&N will leak its oil onto the MAF causing some problems. The S&B filter will not.
2. I also read in that same discussion that the MAF is rotated from the 10 o'clock position(stock) to the 12 o'clock position. Some people have had their A/F ratios leaned way out by this.(Others have been just fine, however) Jay's system does not do this.(MAF remains inthe stock position)
3. The RAI was cost effective and has some style to boot.
4. Most people will tell you that the gains on all of the systems are pretty much within a few HP or so. The big thing is to get the stock system off.

I would also tell you that this is in no way a bash against K&N. They make some GREAT products. Plenty of people on this site use the K&N with great results. But for the above stated reasons JLT was the obvious choice for me.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

Users who are viewing this thread