JLT's 2015 on the dyno testing our CAI

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The numbers are great as they should be as Voltwings has already explained. The sad thing is, the additional weight negates the gains, will be interesting to see if the s550 goes Aluminium by the time it's all said and done.

Nice product tucker!

It'll be at least 10 years before you see a full aluminum body on the Mustang, and it won't be an S550.

bpmurr

Established Member
I'll address more now as I was on my Ipad last night.
First, people should know you have poked at me for years, so your post was expected, but not thought out at all.

I believe you have me confused with someone else. Here is my JLT purchase history.

JLT Intake for 05 Mustang
JLT Intake for 10 GT500
JLT Oil Catch Cans for 10 GT500
JLT Oil Catch Cans for 11 GT500
JLT Oil Catch Cans for 13 Boss 302
JLT Passenger side old catch can for 15 GT just purchased from AM

Sure, I have a problem with you excluding a stock run with just a tune and I would feel that same way about any other intake manufacturer that does the same. I've been looking at the various intakes and have a lot of the same questions others do. Sorry that's considered poking...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

RJ13GT

Established Member
I live right near NCCAR. Never been there. They had a drifting event there a while back I didn't go to. LoL! I emailed them about doing something for us local guys who aren't a part of a club or a team of some sort but I never heard anything back.

Last edited:

Tucker

I believe you have me confused with someone else. Here is my JLT purchase history.

JLT Intake for 05 Mustang
JLT Intake for 10 GT500
JLT Oil Catch Cans for 10 GT500
JLT Oil Catch Cans for 11 GT500
JLT Oil Catch Cans for 13 Boss 302
JLT Passenger side old catch can for 15 GT just purchased from AM

Sure, I have a problem with you excluding a stock run with just a tune and I would feel that same way about any other intake manufacturer that does the same. I've been looking at the various intakes and have a lot of the same questions others do. Sorry that's considered poking...:rolleyes:
My sincerest apologies as your name and sig looked very familiar and it must be due to good things.
Hope you can except and my info was good.

bpmurr

Established Member
My sincerest apologies as your name and sig looked very familiar and it must be due to good things.
Hope you can except and my info was good.

It's all good. That's what I figured. :)

Tucker

I live right near NCCAR. Never been there. They had a drifting event there a while back I didn't go to. LoL! I emailed them about doing something for us local guys who aren't a part of a club or a team of some sort but I never heard anything back.
Just watch their web site and you can go during most any club event. Well worth it

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
It'll be at least 10 years before you see a full aluminum body on the Mustang, and it won't be an S550.

That's possible, however I believe that depending on the results seen from the new f150 can either drastically speed up that time frame or completely nip it in the bud.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
I have to disagree with this... Granted its "ricer math" we use at the drag strip, but losing 100 lbs is roughly the same as gaining 10 whp or so. If the S197 is 100-200 lbs lighter, it has a 10-20 whp advantage. That being said, look at what Cobrajet cars are making on the S197 5.0 on stock cams... Now look at what they are making with aftermarket cams ... The S550 should blow away an S197 mod for mod, because the weight difference is not THAT much. Its not like comparing a challenger to a mustang.

However thats not the point of this thread, so i'll end my threadjack there.

It just depends, so far on average from what I've seen is a 12-14 WHP increase in mods between a s550-s197 Now maybe that'll start to increase as we see more and more as mods increase but I don't think it's going to scale as high as it is with CAI/Tune compared to a car setup like ours. Time will tell as more and more people mod :) I'm shocked that no one has done a CJ Setup on one yet.

In the end for me, it all goes back to #1. The IRS and #2. The ass end, all 4 of the s550's I test drove last weekend wheel hopped like a SOB, sure that can be fixed but it reminded me of my terminator and I will not sign on for that headache again. I would have the half shafts gone in 2500 miles.

SD_Stang

Established Member
It's a project waiting to happen if you buy one for more than getting groceries. It kind of sucks that you have to know up front that you would need Dampers, full bushing replacements in the IRS and upgraded Half Shafts just to push the car a little. That's why you never buy the first model year (kinks aside) in a year or two they will likely shed the weight and make suspension updates, increase the power to improve it even more and the price will be right around the same.

Voltwings

Established Member
Its honestly no different than the S197 live axle ... Everyone here already knows the drill,
You cant lower the car without also adjusting the:
LCAs
LCA Brackets
PHB
Honestly a UCA and bracket probably isnt a bad idea either...
The live axle isnt without its own problems, they're just commonly known and accepted at this point, the IRS isnt far behind.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
That's possible, however I believe that depending on the results seen from the new f150 can either drastically speed up that time frame or completely nip it in the bud.

If you notice, the vehicles Ford is moving to Al on are all body-on-frame. Doing an Al unibody is very different. They won't be able to just take the current S550 design and switch from steel to Al. Given the life cycle of a platform is usually around 10 years (have to amortize the engineering costs) and the cost/benefit of an Al Mustang I just don't expect we'll see such a car anytime soon.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Its honestly no different than the S197 live axle ... Everyone here already knows the drill,
You cant lower the car without also adjusting the:
LCAs
LCA Brackets
PHB
Honestly a UCA and bracket probably isnt a bad idea either...
The live axle isnt without its own problems, they're just commonly known and accepted at this point, the IRS isnt far behind.

It's entirely different, my car never has had an ounce of wheelhop. I only modified my suspension for looks and 60ft times. The only weak part of the s197 axle is the fact that the tubes need welded. That's minor in the grand scheme, it's easy to have an opinion, if you haven't owned a car. My terminator went through 6 sets of half-shafts in <10k miles. Do i know for certain the s550 will be as weak? No, I don't. All I can say is the feel, sound, and behavior of the car is VERY similar, pair that with the fact that they've already got "upgrades" from FRPP before the car even hit the lot tells me, it's going to be an issue. I'll keep my "shitty" live axle.

While i don't own an s550, I spent a good amount of time driving them over the past weekend, enough to know that I'm not sold on them. The look of the car minus the ass end, is better in person i'll give it that. I'm a bigger dude, so the cramped cabin is an issue. For some people they can buy, sell, trade 4-5 cars in a years time that's all fine and well. Shop cars or folks like SID, I completely understand the reasons they get behind a vehicle it's imperative from a business aspect.

A lot of folks are easily influenced by what they see on these forums, folks want to run out and buy them thinking they're "that" much better, I think the '15 is entirely overhyped at the moment. It's not different enough to loose thousands to trade for, if you're hardcore into road racing stock for stock yes it's better. I guess this really stems from the fact that, several 13-14 GT500 guys have made the jump and are claiming it's a better car. I'm sorry on no planet is a Loaded PP '15 a better car than a 13-14 GT500. SVT are years ahead of what a standard model is going to be capable of. Look at the 03-04 Cobra for example, it has taken 8-10 years for a GT to be considered equal or in the conversation. Some guys still think the Termi is a better car, So now 1 Model year newer GT is Walloping the previous years SVT Offering C'mon. It's just overhyped.

Last edited:

Todd03Blown

Established Member
^^^for everyone that said they had zero wheelhop in their S197, you will find the same person that does/did have wheelhop. Folks talk about wheelhop all the time in their S197's.

My 03 Cobra has zero halfshaft issues. Only has wheelhop was cold weather. The car only had maybe 15-20 quarter mile passes with me running drag radials. Sold it 6 years later with only 40k miles on it.

Todd03Blown

Established Member
A lot of folks are easily influenced by what they see on these forums, folks want to run out and buy them thinking they're "that" much better, I think the '15 is entirely overhyped at the moment. It's not different enough to loose thousands to trade for, if you're hardcore into road racing stock for stock yes it's better. I guess this really stems from the fact that, several 13-14 GT500 guys have made the jump and are claiming it's a better car. I'm sorry on no planet is a Loaded PP '15 a better car than a 13-14 GT500. SVT are years ahead of what a standard model is going to be capable of. Look at the 03-04 Cobra for example, it has taken 8-10 years for a GT to be considered equal or in the conversation. Some guys still think the Termi is a better car, So now 1 Model year newer GT is Walloping the previous years SVT Offering C'mon. It's just overhyped.

Why are you so butthurt that people are trading in their GT500's for the new S550 with PP? No doubt the Shelby has it beat with all that power but the rest of the '15 is superior. Hell I almost bought a new 14GT500 but decided I like the '15 PP better (I will track my car more than drag racing). I can always add a SC and get the horsepower but I still have a much more refined car.

We get it, you don't like the new S550 but why say it is overhyped? It is a much more sophisticated car from a suspension and option standpoint plain and simple. No need to keep ragging on it.

Users who are viewing this thread