Joining the air force

03Black

Established Member
ive been looking at joining the air force and my question is what job at the air force do you think will best fit me and most importantly will help me out the most at getting a gob job when my service is done. I like working on cars and i have experience welding so I would like a job of that nature. I also have an aa degree. How lenient is the air force when picking where you want to be stationed if they even let you at all? I live in miami so if i can i would like to be near to it.

clbailey

Established Member
Id shoot for Vehicle Maintenance or Metals Technology or Aircraft Sheet Metal (asm). Im an ASM and I loved the fabrication aspect of it. But the metals tech(machine shop) are the guys that get to do all the welding. Be careful, asm can also swap over to LO (low observables) which is limited on aircraft/base choice. When it comes to choosing a base, in basic you will be able to add 7 places onto a wish list. Thats exactly what it sounds like, a wish list. Its not to hard to be stationed where you want though. Metals tech is on every aircraft, as is ASM.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Alot of the mechanics jobs are now contracted. Every base i've been to its been civilians doing the maintenance and mechanic work. You will be able to create a "wish list" but no one i was with every got a base on their list. I put all bases in the North East and ended up in Mississippi. Its a crap shoot so dont get your hopes up, lots of people want to go to FL too so that doesnt help your case. Once you go to MEPS they'll give you options and your recruiter should be able to give you info on the jobs available and their descriptions.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
My nephew (bomb loader on an A-10 x-trained door gunner) got his first choice of bases ... Alaska of all places. I asked him why there and he said "cause I have never been there" lol!

Best thing to do is make sure everything on your wish list is somewhere you really want to go.

clbailey

Established Member
Alot of the mechanics jobs are now contracted. Every base i've been to its been civilians doing the maintenance and mechanic work. You will be able to create a "wish list" but no one i was with every got a base on their list. I put all bases in the North East and ended up in Mississippi. Its a crap shoot so dont get your hopes up, lots of people want to go to FL too so that doesnt help your case. Once you go to MEPS they'll give you options and your recruiter should be able to give you info on the jobs available and their descriptions.

Alot of the depot/phase maintenance work is contracted not anything related to any type of bdr maintenance or red balls, etc...

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
Just remember not all jobs are at every base, or you can't get there for your first deployment.
You'll fill out a dream sheet in basic...and from what I understand if you put an overseas location you'll probably get an overseas base, which might not be the base you choose.
For instance, I picked okinawa japan, and got misawa.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Just remember not all jobs are at every base, or you can't get there for your first deployment.
You'll fill out a dream sheet in basic...and from what I understand if you put an overseas location you'll probably get an overseas base, which might not be the base you choose.
For instance, I picked okinawa japan, and got misawa.

Yeah that's how it was in '03, if you put any overseas location (to include Alaska or Hawaii) it opens you up to ANY OCONUS bases. Don't put too much stock in your wish list, especially if you are shooting for a popular assignment (Florida). I had all west coast bases and some southwest assignments on my list and they stuck me in Delaware. Good luck!

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Join the Navy...people won't think your gay if you do trust me.....lol
congrats on the choice to serve i'm going on 7 years. choose a job that has skills you can use when you get out. only regret i have, other than that i love it.
GO NAVY

Users who are viewing this thread