Joys of Kidney Stones

El_Joker

Established Member
A few weeks back I felt as if I had food poisoning or just something I ate, typical signs of vomiting/etc. Didn't freak out and waiting it out for a few hours. It wasn't getting better and I was dry heaving to no end whenever I stood. A strong cramp pain kicked in the side and kidney area.

I played WebMD and saw the sign could have been an appendix issue so I finally caved and went to the ER. Come to find out I had a 8mm stone and it was pretty much blocking on my right side. Gave me some pills and a Urology appt.

Stone was too large to pass or break up since it was so low, so surgery was the only option. Was a very odd feeling having a stent left in but it did make the removal much less a painful; that's the plus I guess.

I thought the pain of the stone was bad enough...but thank the modern medical system for making it worse. I have great insurance so out of pocket is actually not too bad. I'm just shocked when it comes to anything medical these days.

Surgery - $16,000
Dr. - $2000
Misc - $800

The ER is the part killing me. Almost $20000 for 1.5 hours, and that is NOT including the CT scan. So all in all, a single stone cost arounf $40000.

My mini rant I guess.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I had my first (and hopefully last) kidney stone about a year and a half ago. I've never experienced pain like that before in my life. I went to the ER as well and was given morphine to help with the pain and had a CT scan done which revealed that it was 4mm so no surgery was needed.

People always ask me if pissing the stone out was the most painful part but it wasn't. The process of the stone moving between your kidney to your bladder through the ureter is excruciatingly painful. Fever, vomiting, discomfort like I've never felt. Picture sucking a golfball down a garden hose, Private Pyle.

Fortunately like yourself I have great insurance as well. I never even saw the bill thank goodness.

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
With all the stuff that people complain about, it is surprising that more people are not up in arms about medical costs.

Get a $5,000 shot. Insurance pays $800. Where is the logic in the initial cost or what they actually accept. Wholeheartedly agree with rant Joker!

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
^^^^Yep that the problem, it's way out of control for even relatively minor procedures.

I have great coverage for my family as well, thank god I do. Our youngest had a large cyst behind her left ear that developed rather quickly. The doctor didn't want excise it, drain etc in office. We had to do the procedure at Texas children's and it all went fine. I almost went thru the roof when I got summary of the bill in the mail, insurance just about covered all of it, but my god it was astronomical for such a minor thing, 10-12K from what I recall....for a ****ing cyst! I understand the hospital aspect of the procedure really drove up the cost, the number of medical professionals involved etc...but man it was shocking and eye opening.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
So how do you get one of these rocks into you in the first place?

Did you eat it by accident at a funky restaurant maybe Chinese food I would imagine or fast food?

Or is it from sex? The stone maybe is passed from the vagina from a bad yeast build up from who the **** knows what?

Srs.

Semi srs.

M91196

Established Member
So how do you get one of these rocks into you in the first place?

Did you eat it by accident at a funky restaurant maybe Chinese food I would imagine or fast food?

Or is it from sex? The stone maybe is passed from the vagina from a bad yeast build up from who the **** knows what?

Srs.

Semi srs.

8e881383165c970d003c9a2ac97ac4ed.jpg

_Snake_

Established Member
I had a $170k surgery in August. I almost needed to go back to the hospital when I saw the bill. Lol

For those wondering, I had to pay $3500 out of pocket to meet my annual deductible. Insurance paid the rest.

M91196

Established Member

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
^Was the told the same thing too but I'm the first in my family to have them...lucky me.

Was also told that my area has a lot of minerals in the water which could've been a factor.

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ok so what’s the preventative treatment? This is something I don’t want to get as it sounds like I couldn’t go to the gym from the pain and then I’m ****ed.

Busta said something about a golfball and a garden hose. If this also involves a fairly pretty women there might be a win win solution.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I always heard iced tea is known for causing kidney stones. my my old high school teacher use to drink the big Arnold palmer cans everyday. After awhile he got a kidney stone. He stopped drinking them since and so have I lol.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Ok so what’s the preventative treatment? This is something I don’t want to get as it sounds like I couldn’t go to the gym from the pain and then I’m ****ed.

Low sodium diet and MOST importantly hydration and I mean a lot of water. Iced tea of any variety and soda is absolutely terrible for you. Mine was caused primarily by my lack of water intake. My doctor told me that I was dehydrated but I've never actually felt dehydrated. I just really don't drink much fluid so since then I've been forcing myself to drink at least 64oz (half gallon) of water a day.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Kidney stones are no joke. I have had three one of which I passed on a 17 hour plane flight. I have been extremely lucky in that they all passed in relatively short times.

Drink things like cranberry juice on the regular if you want to try to avoid them look it up because diet def affects their development

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Low sodium diet and MOST importantly hydration and I mean a lot of water. Iced tea of any variety and soda is absolutely terrible for you. Mine was caused primarily by my lack of water intake. My doctor told me that I was dehydrated but I've never actually felt dehydrated. I just really don't drink much fluid so since then I've been forcing myself to drink at least 64oz (half gallon) of water a day.
Iced tea might be a factor when combined with something else or you have to have a tendency toward them, because the GF drinks a ton of iced tea and she has never had one. But she doesn’t drink the canned shit so that migh play into it as well

Zodiac

Established Member
I had a stone when I was around 12-13. I never told my parents and struggled for about 2 weeks with it (kinda embarrassing to say hey mom/dad it burns when I pee) It was like pissing razor blades. Terrible experience. The day I passed it was the happiest day ever. Haven't had one since almost 20 years later.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Iced tea might be a factor when combined with something else or you have to have a tendency toward them, because the GF drinks a ton of iced tea and she has never had one. But she doesn’t drink the canned shit so that migh play into it as well

It was the first question that I was asked by the urologist when I went for a follow up. I'm sure the canned shit is exponentially worse for you than the homemade stuff. And yeah I know people who have waaay worse diets than mine who have never and may never have one. Luck of the draw I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread