July 23-25 at VIR with NASA. Anyone going?

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
I love it. A group of non-cobra drivers on a SVT forum:lol1:
I will be parked next to Kevin in this:
34061_403502377676_545927676_4545993_3930732_n.jpg

Last edited:

Maynor

Established Member
LOL at John's comment. Too true.

Thanks for the reminder pics guys... it reminds me, I need to put my NASA stickers on the car for the weekend.

Question for all the racers what's the best way to remove no longer needed decals on the car/Wing? I started on the wing and using a heat gun, only succeeded in leaving a perfect outline in glue, of the decal I removed. Now that glue is going to pick up all sorts of dust and dirt and Goo Gone didn't really do much to knock down the glue.

That's probably a topic for a different thread but I thought I'd throw it up.

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
John - I can't wait to see your car run. I saw that car on bimmerforums when Vorshlag was selling it. the way I removed old decals is to rip 'em off and then use diluted mineral spirits to remove the glue. I then use swirl remover and throw a coat of polish on the space. Then again, I only paid $800 for my car and am not overly concerned if I take some paint off. I have a full stock of rattle cans to fix it!

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Well I don't like any of ya'll this weekend. Fergie's being a bitch and now I won't be at RA this weekend.

Sorry to hear, Ryan.
Just turn the heat on in the house and stand in the bathroom with the shower running.
You'll at least feel like you're there. :bash:

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
John - it was good meeting you. Hopefully you are able to get your fuel issues worked out.

Jim - I saw you running in UTCC on Friday. There were some incredible cars out there. That Viper in group 1 was insanely fast through the roller coaster to hog pen.

Kevin - Thanks again for your help this weekend. Looking forward to throwing on some r-comps and doing it again and hopefully getting faster. And yes, I will remember next time that I need to brake and turn in for South Bend.

Maynor

Established Member
Whew, I'm finally back to normal human temperatures! I could not drink enough water to stay hydrated with those temps. Brutal, just brutal temps!

John and Kevin, great to finally meet you guys.

Kevin, forgot to ask you, you have a dry sump set up on your car right? What are your normal oil pressure levels? I think I'm having issues but might be over-reacting and want to compare notes...

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
John and Kevin, great to finally meet you guys.

Kevin, forgot to ask you, you have a dry sump set up on your car right? What are your normal oil pressure levels? I think I'm having issues but might be over-reacting and want to compare notes...

Nice to finally put a face with a name as well. Sorry I didn't get to hang out more (seems like I am saying that to everyone). With two students, running Time Trials and instructing Hyperdrive, I was taxed to the limits this weekend with the heat. Not to mention tire swaps and rotor changes (typical Z06).

No dry sump on my car. The C5Z06s do not have one from the factory and I have not installed one; it just has the stock baffled oil pan. I run one quart extra for track events. Actually all the time since I street drive it so rarely. The factory manual even clearly states to run one extra quart for track activities, LOL. As for oil pressure levels, I typically see 40+ while on track (and have seen it much higher) and then it drops down into the 20s when I come off track idling and the oil is still hot. As it cools, the pressure goes back up. This seems to be pretty normal from what I see on the other Vettes.

There is a nice series of pics of you backwards on track. I didn't know that happened!!!! No pics of me sitting off the backside of T1 setting the grass on fire, so I guess it didn't happen.

-Kevin

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Here's a little write-up I did for another forum:

Not exactly the most enjoyable weekend at the track ever, but at least successful for my number one goal of getting certified to instruct with NASA. Here's a recap of the events and follies.

Thursday:
- Get to the track at 4pm and the gate guard ask me to go down to South Paddock and tell the driver of the transporter sitting there that he can come up to North Paddock. No problem, sir.
- They are paving the South Paddock road. It is freshly laid with sharp rocks and hot tar. I got tar and rocks ALL over my truck, my trailer and even the Z06 sitting on the trailer.
- Went to Instructor Level I class Thursday night, no problems besides hearing way too long of a dissertation on post-traumatic stress psychology on a subject that I am immensely familiar with and won't discuss here. Got out of class at 9:45pm.
- Went to the Oak Tree Tavern at 10:30 and found out they do not serve food after 9:30. Went back to the paddock and burnt some hotdogs and drank too much beer. Way too much for as hot as it was.

Friday:
- Thought I was going to puke in the All-Hands Meeting. Suffered through it. Had a pounding headache ALL day.
- Have no clue as to when and what to do for Instructor Level I and Level II class, exercises or track time.
- Suffered through the heat and confusion and came out of it with a Level I and II certification.
- Had a flat tire on the trailer. Found a small rock embedded in the tire. Pulled it out and David plugged the tire for me while I was in class.

Saturday:
- Get assigned two students instead of the one I was expecting. John was my HPDE 2 student, we had a LOT of fun. My HPDE 1 student has a C6 and that was a blast as well. Good guy and good student.
- Regularly saw 99-103 air temps
- Ran a 2:12 on the NT01s in TT warmup.
- Got screwed into instructing for Hyperdrive. "We need 2 skinny instructors." "Dammit, I am not skinny, but compared to the other guts in this group, I guess I get to crawl into the jungle gym of a CMC car." Which meant I was late for my first timed TT session of the day. Had to work my way through the pack to a 2:10 on the Hoosier As. With 5 people in TTA and I was in second place, so things are looking good for a tire even though I am pissed because of the rush.
- Got out of the car early in John's session so I could be ready for TT. While waiting for the session, I spoke to a guy that was running an STi in TTA and he said he up'ed the boost and moved to TTS because he couldn't compete in TTA. That dropped us to 4 cars and screwed me out of a tire. The pace car messed up the first car in line and we had six Vettes and a Viper stacked up by T1. The train really didn't bother me until we got into T11, but it was there. Ran a 2:09 so I was happy, but I knew they were holding me up a tad. Mark Nunnally ran a 2:06.
- Having two students, instructing Hyperdrive and running TTs was quite taxing. Especially with the heat. And we had like 12-15 backup instructors. What the hell!!!!
- Went to the banquet/party, grabbed some heavy horsey-do-overs, a couple of beers, then went back up to the paddock and grilled steaks.

Sunday:
- Solo'ed John after the first session
- Ran a 2:08 in TT warmup -- personal best. I will have to watch the video, but I don't think I got a completely clean lap. Either way, there is easily a 2:07 in the car as it sits on Hoosier As.
- Get a little bit of a breather by solo'ing John and not having Hyperdrive to deal with
- Regularly saw 99-103 air temps; saw 109 on the Vette at one point, but it dropped to a chilly 106 by the time I rolled out on track
- First turn of the first hot lap of the first timed session and I came in hot and slid right off the back side of T1. Waiting for the ENTIRE TT field, I set the grass on fire. I assume it went out after I pulled away. All of TTA got impounded for weight; my car weighs 3306lbs with me and a 1/4 tank of gas. Mark ran a 2:05 and weighs 3173lbs with him and a lot of fuel.
- Went down during the day to pick up my 2nd place plaque from Saturday and found out they do not give out awards on Sunday. Soooo, no plaque and no chance at a tire. I decided to not even run the last timed session. No use in wasting a heat cycle.
- Packed up the truck, scratched the side of the truck bed with the bicycle, aired up the trailer tire, checked pressures, and left for home around 5:30 or so. The earliest I have left from VIR in a while. "I'll be home by 8pm, Dawn."
- About a mile past Milton, the truck suddenly started shuddering and something in the side mirror caught my eye. The entire carcass of the trailer tire rolled across the opposite lane and into the ditch. The plug must not have held. I pulled over and found a flat spot under some trees next to someone's driveway and changed the tire.
- Got to the Winston area and needed diesel. Spent at least 20 minutes wandering around two exits looking for a station that had diesel that could accomodate a truck and trailer. I am going to start filling up with fuel before I get to VIR. This is not the first time this has happened to me on I-40 out of Greensboro/Winston.
- Got to the house and there is a car on the street that prevents me from backing into my driveway nor being able to do a full turn-around in the cul de sac. Unload the car and unpack the truck. Some not all since we are headed to Nashville on Saturday for ZCon. Then take the truck and trailer up to the local car wash behind the BP gas station to attempt to wash off the gravel and tar stuck to them. No power. The attendant said that lightning or something struck them.

This week:
- Need to order a trailer tire and get a spare before Saturday morning
- Need to get the tar and gravel off the truck, trailer and Z06
- Need to clean my funky ass helmet and gloves and shoes
- Need to get Morris' NT01s onto the Z06

You want to know how hot it was this weekend?!?!?!?! I went out with an HPDE 1 student in his supercharged C5 Vette for a session. When we came off track, his WINDSHIELD WIPER FLUID was BOILING to the point that it was pouring out of the nozzles on both wipers!!!!!!

Note to self: DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS GOD FORSAKEN EVENT NEXT YEAR!!!!! IF YOU HAVE A DESIRE FOR A JULY OR AUGUST EVENT, GO TO CANADA!!!!!!!

And that's the rest of the story.

-Kevin

Last edited:

Maynor

Established Member
Nice to finally put a face with a name as well. Sorry I didn't get to hang out more (seems like I am saying that to everyone). With two students, running Time Trials and instructing Hyperdrive, I was taxed to the limits this weekend with the heat. Not to mention tire swaps and rotor changes (typical Z06).

No dry sump on my car. The C5Z06s do not have one from the factory and I have not installed one; it just has the stock baffled oil pan. I run one quart extra for track events. Actually all the time since I street drive it so rarely. The factory manual even clearly states to run one extra quart for track activities, LOL. As for oil pressure levels, I typically see 40+ while on track (and have seen it much higher) and then it drops down into the 20s when I come off track idling and the oil is still hot. As it cools, the pressure goes back up. This seems to be pretty normal from what I see on the other Vettes.

There is a nice series of pics of you backwards on track. I didn't know that happened!!!! No pics of me sitting off the backside of T1 setting the grass on fire, so I guess it didn't happen.

-Kevin

Thanks for the feedback and great write up. TWO Students PLUS TT? In that heat? Brutal!

Yeah, that little spin in Turn 4 sucked. I had 40+ heat cycles in those R6s and new it was just dumb to run them. Should have bought new R6s for this event. Never tried A6s like your car but I might have too soon. Thankfully, I didn't get in anyone's way when that happened and I got OFF line ASAP to let everyone pass safely.

Had another opps in the first warm-up session on Sat. I'm going to blame the heat for this one again. :)

Forgot to check tire pressures like an idiot. I was understeering like a pig and I had just added a front splitter. It didn't make sense during that session until I measured pressures coming off track. 20 psi in one of the fronts. Doh!

That's a PITA about your trailer. One of my buddies had a similar problem, blown tire on the way home. Ugh. Not fun to change with this weather.

The grass fire comment cracked me up!

John

On edit: Oh yeah, I'm DONE with summer events with weather like that. Its stupid to be out there all day, much less two or three. Everyone was being anti-social just to stay cool somewhere. Took all the fun out of the event and coming off track, ugh. Heat stroke city.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread