Just a quick IRS question.

tire_fryin89

Established Member
Ok, at the track, 450-500hp cobra with IRS and 315 drag radial. With a solid launch, will the stock axles (half shafts) hold or is that pushing them to the limit?

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
They'll hold just fine provided you don't try to launch too hard or hop with the drag radials. The stock rear is actually very strong, but drag radials don't usually have enough sidewall give and end up hopping. When you launch slip the clutch a bit to keep the rear from being shocked as hard and you'll be fine.

screamindemon

Established Member
just wanna know everyones thoughts about building a irs with alll the bushings changed along with a cover brace and level 5 halfshafts will it hold up at the track with hard launches when running around 650 rwhp and if so could u list the parts used to achieve this thanx for ur info...

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Upgraded bushings, brace, and Lvl 5's will make for a very stout rear. But with that power level and a good set of slicks the rear end as it is from the factory is actually plenty strong enough.

Riceater52910

Established Member
At least put a Diff brace on if you dont have one already. And like said above feather the clutch to avoid wheel hop, you should be fine. If the rear end hops back out immediately, wheel hop can make short work of even the stoutest rear ends.

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
I broke mine at 450/500 with a 3500 slip and nitto 275 drs. No wheel hop, im just unlucky. My 10 spline also broke when i grabbed 4th in a roll race.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread