Just Bought 04 cobra

2004roush

Established Member
1534F1D2-92B1-427E-A07F-F26F4C2C5AA5.jpeg
I’ve had a 2004 whippled Roush , a 94 gt and a 98 cobra. Just bought a stock mostly 2004 cobra 101k miles
Great shape. Same owner last 18years for $24k.

My question ? what maintenance should I do with this car right up front.? I know a little bit about cars and small maintenance. Im
Taking it to my local Ford service to do head to toe inspection.

Thanks in advance

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Excellent Terminator! Congrats.

Also the air filter (clean or replace depending on the element).
If the brakes don't need work, you may want to have the brake fluid changed out.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
The first things I did when I bought mine was fluids, brakes, plugs, and a lot of cosmetic replacements (headlight housings, door panel inserts, third brake light as mine was broken), new belt, new coolant reservoir as mine was nasty. I did new tires. I did a lot. Mine had a nasty BBK intake…I put a JLT on it. I got my dyno tune scheduled pretty quickly after I bought it too.

Just give you an idea of what I did. Not saying you should do all of this but I felt a whole lot better after this was done.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Nice find! I would change fluids and fuel filter like others stated. Also if it’s not stock I would throw it on a Dyno and get the tune checked make sure A/F ratio is safe.

Last edited:

2004roush

Established Member
Appreciate it. Got all fluids changed. Transmission, rear DIff. Oil. Fuel filter. New spark plugs. Took it to the local Ford dealer with the oldest mechanic and one I trust my neighbor to do it all. So that way it’s in system. Also he said this car was babied. Underneath looks great and I am ecstatic. It’s hard to find one of these termis that haven’t been beat on and picked apart. It literally sat on a dealership lot for the past year with maybe 10 miles out on. From what I gather with odometer car fax info.

Attachments

• F82AC0FD-E3BF-4D7A-9A9C-D044BBDAA551.jpeg
    F82AC0FD-E3BF-4D7A-9A9C-D044BBDAA551.jpeg
    240.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 971B5CBA-BBE0-4586-AB49-23EA21D09719.jpeg
    971B5CBA-BBE0-4586-AB49-23EA21D09719.jpeg
    284.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 935897BC-D4F9-4FDE-BDBA-7E9A8BAC46F8.jpeg
    935897BC-D4F9-4FDE-BDBA-7E9A8BAC46F8.jpeg
    299.9 KB · Views: 53

dan1982

Established Member
Appreciate it. Got all fluids changed. Transmission, rear DIff. Oil. Fuel filter. New spark plugs. Took it to the local Ford dealer with the oldest mechanic and one I trust my neighbor to do it all. So that way it’s in system. Also he said this car was babied. Underneath looks great and I am ecstatic. It’s hard to find one of these termis that haven’t been beat on and picked apart. It literally sat on a dealership lot for the past year with maybe 10 miles out on. From what I gather with odometer car fax info.
Might not be a bad idea to do a compression/leakdown test. To actually have specific numbers to be able to compare to later on. Espescially if youre gonna modify stuff. There is a very specific way to check up on engine health and sealing ability. All engines have SOME leakdown... its good to know those numbers. Getting it on a dyno and having a look at THOSE numbers is a great idea also. What's the Difference Between Compression and Leak Down Testing? Learning how to check up on leakdown readings is a GREAT way to tell whether or not you hurt a motor if something ever goes wrong.... ( instead of continuing to drive a car until a mechanic can look at it.)

Last edited:

2004roush

Established Member
Help!!!!

So I just got the car back. I took it for a spin while in 3rd gear I go to open up and it bogs down and almost stalls. I drive slow first and second gear no problem. I got to speed up (not floor it) and it bogs down again. I talked to mechanic he said he just changed spark plugs, fuel filter , oil filter and pinion seal and new coolant for both and new transmission fluid

I noticed when I parked it and went back into garage an hour later it was still hot. I popped hood and there was a good amount of coolant on battery and tray and top. Lid was on. I opened it and it sounded like it was burping.

This car was running great for the week I had it. Eaton whined good. Boost there. And now after a trip to Ford dealer it’s all messed up. They said to bring it back up? It cost $1600 to mess up the car.

A couple of my mechanic friends said could be the gap .42 of spark plug he recommended .25.
Another mechanic friend said plenum leak possible!!

I’m at lost for words. I hope it’s not messed up!!

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Help!!!!

So I just got the car back. I took it for a spin while in 3rd gear I go to open up and it bogs down and almost stalls. I drive slow first and second gear no problem. I got to speed up (not floor it) and it bogs down again. I talked to mechanic he said he just changed spark plugs, fuel filter , oil filter and pinion seal and new coolant for both and new transmission fluid

I noticed when I parked it and went back into garage an hour later it was still hot. I popped hood and there was a good amount of coolant on battery and tray and top. Lid was on. I opened it and it sounded like it was burping.

This car was running great for the week I had it. Eaton whined good. Boost there. And now after a trip to Ford dealer it’s all messed up. They said to bring it back up? It cost $1600 to mess up the car.

A couple of my mechanic friends said could be the gap .42 of spark plug he recommended .25.
Another mechanic friend said plenum leak possible!!

I’m at lost for words. I hope it’s not messed up!!
This is why dealers suck. Make them fix it. It could be anything….sounds fuel related to me but who knows what the incompetence of the dealer mechanic did. They literally can’t do anything right.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

Users who are viewing this thread