Just bought a 99 cobra, rebuild questions

Myersprostatus

Established Member
Hey guys, I am a 99 cobra owner as of today! Pretty stoked on it. Well anyways heres my issue. The other week a man brought in a 99 cobra to my work, the engine was pretty much toast. He was told Ford does not offer the motor for a 99 anymore. So the other day I saw him cleaning the car out, so I approached him and began questioning him about the car. He told me he was going to donate it for a tax BREAK!!! I immediately threw him a cash offer and he took it. The car is super straight and has a super clean interior. Lifted it up in the air and nothing absolutely nothing is leaking or substantially worn.
Now to the motor, I know the motor is busted, but dont know if its salvageable untill I open it up next week. I really would like to keep the original motor, but its been quite difficult to find a rebuilt kit for the 4.6 4v dohc. I found some used motors for about $3,000, but like i stated before I would love to salvage the ORIGINAL motor. Thats where you guys come in . Know of any sites that stock a complete rebuild kit?
Thanks guys, any information is appreciated.
-Mitch

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Bore that teksid block .020 over,reuse the stock crank,add some forged rods and pistons, new bearings,fasteners,oil pump.. What's your color combo Mitch? Get your parts at Pro-Power ModMax!

Last edited:

BlackVenom99

Established Member
Only thing to add to brutals post is to find a good machine shop that you can trust and make sure they've touched more than a few of these motors.

Ohh and use tousley for gaskets and misc. hoses and such.

fangs99

Established Member
Where in Cali are you? And like others have said.... Stock rebuild with a good set of forged pistons and rods.... But now is the time to think about future mods, power level, ect... Are you going to boost the car in the future?

Last edited:

Myersprostatus

Established Member
hey guys thanks for the responses! well i got the motor out, pulled the both valve covers off. One of the driverside cams completely froze and snapped the timing chain. So i guess its time for some new cylinder heads. I put the motor on a stand and got the oil pan off. I didnt have a puller for the crank pulley to get the cover off and it was getting pretty late so I cleaned up and went home. Tomorrow im gonna check to see if main bearings are spun(praying they aren't)

My work has a machine shop that they use daily so I plan on shippin it over to them if its still re-usable.

My color combo is white with tan interior. Cool im going to check that website out asap.

I live in orange county, but the car is in long beach. As of right now I am planning to run the car n/a and completely re-do the suspension, but who knows maybe if I come up on some decent money down the road, Ill throw some forced induction my baby's way. :)

Myersprostatus

Established Member
man, I just saw the prices on mod max for the bare 4v dohc cylinder heads. very very pricey.. Do they not make aftermarket heads such as trickflows or anything of that nature?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
man, I just saw the prices on mod max for the bare 4v dohc cylinder heads. very very pricey.. Do they not make aftermarket heads such as trickflows or anything of that nature?
If your looking at bare heads what's wrong with the stockers if you remove all the valvetrain and cams? Yeah 4V heads aren't cheap, best deal fully assembled would be the 05 revisions from Tousley. I got burned on a set of 4V heads off Ebay, I wouldn't buy used unless seeing them in person or from a well known trusted member here:rockon:

Myersprostatus

Established Member
the intake cam on the driverside basically welded itself stationary due to lack of oil. its completely burnt. The passenger side cylinder heads appears to be pretty clean though. The timing chain snapped too, so there may be some bent valves as well. Anyway you could link me the 05 revisions?

VADEi2, im located in long beach.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
If you are looking at a rebuild and plan on having someone do the work, then do NOT go to Powerheads in Wildomar, CA run by Ralph Pici. Went through hell and to make a long story short, do NOT entrust your engine to him.

I have heard good things about MMR and their prices are very competitive, and they are here in So Cal as well.

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you are looking at a rebuild and plan on having someone do the work, then do NOT go to Powerheads in Wildomar, CA run by Ralph Pici. Went through hell and to make a long story short, do NOT entrust your engine to him.

I have heard good things about MMR and their prices are very competitive, and they are here in So Cal as well.

I had issues with Powerheads as well. I have a pair of 01 heads sitting in the garage I probably won't use if you need heads.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
The head with the frozen cam is toast. You can find 99/01 or 03/04 heads in the market section quite often. If not, I know where there are some 03/04s for sale near me.

Myersprostatus

Established Member
wow awesome guys, I most definitely will be needing them. Ill let you guys know asap once i get the motor apart completely. So far im diggin this forum!

JaCobra

Eaton Powered
Established Member
Good luck on getting the cobra back on the road. Update us with some progress and some pics when you get some time!

Myersprostatus

Established Member
2012-07-16_174715.jpg

block.jpg

GREAT NEWS!!! and a few pics
got the motor completely broken down today. Crank looks great, no damage and no spun bearings!! The cylinder walls look super clean as well. The rod bearings are toast but did no damage to the crank. the pistons look great as well, only one has an indentation from hitting the valves on the busted timing/frozen cam side. Im going to get the crankshaft turned, hone the cylinders, buy new rings/bearings/gaskets/fixtures and throw her right back in. Im wondering if maybe a machine shop could revive the cylinder head with the frozen cam. I plan on calling one tomorrow. Anyone know of a great modular machine shop in southern california?
Im super stoked on the outcome of the engine. I gambled and it appears as though I have won. Not a bad deal for $1,700, huh? hahhaha
Last but not least heres a pic of my new baby
snakebite.jpg

Myersprostatus

Established Member
thats what I was thinking, about those 03/04 heads by you, are they bare? didn't they come with different cams than the 99s?
also slo984now how much would you want for the heads?

Users who are viewing this thread