Just bought a new clutch... Break in period?

1997stang

Established Member
Hey everyone, i just bought a centerforce dfx (6 puck style) clutch for my 01 cobra. I was just wondering what is needed to break this clutch in. I heard somewhere that you don't need to break in the puck style? I didnt believe that but im just asking to make sure. Also, the 6 puck isnt going to be too hard on the flywheel is it?

Thanks,
Mike

1997stang

Established Member
Also, im getting the rotors turned and i know you cant use old brake pads on a newly turned rotor. What brake pads do you guys use on your cobras?

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
take it easy for about 500 miles. however that 500 miles needs to be a lot of stop and go, not just hopping on the highway and taking a trip. that won't do anything for clutch break in...

well technically you can use your old pads. to be honest i'd just go with a set of good semi-metallics like wagner or equivelant. i'm still on stockers, but on my '99 i changed them for a new set of motorcraft pads and was extremely dissappointed. they squeeked no matter what i did(yes i had all the anti-rattle clips) and dusted like twice as much.

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I'll add to what Rio said. The 500 miles needs to have lots of rpm modulation, but NO WOT pulls.

As for your brakes, you can use the old pads with the turned rotors. But if you might as well get a new set and bed them both in at the same time. If this is a street car only, just get a set of OEM type pads from the auto store. I personally use Carbotech pads on everything.

1997stang

Established Member
Ahh ill probably just get some new ones then. I want to get some hawk pads but they are pretty pricey. What are the stockers that come on the cobras? And are they decent?

1997stang

Established Member
I'll add to what Rio said. The 500 miles needs to have lots of rpm modulation, but NO WOT pulls.

As for your brakes, you can use the old pads with the turned rotors. But if you might as well get a new set and bed them both in at the same time. If this is a street car only, just get a set of OEM type pads from the auto store. I personally use Carbotech pads on everything.

Do you like the carbotech pads?

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
Do you like the carbotech pads?

Best pad ever made. Period. No dust what so ever. I was going to take a picture of my Carbos on the front and the pieces of shit Hawks I have on the backs.

My fronts never has any dust on them while the rears are covered in less than 1 week.

Carbotech's will make your fillings come out the stopping power is so good.

Last edited:

1997stang

Established Member
Best pad ever made. Period. No dust what so ever. I was going to take a picture of my Carbos on the front and the pieces of shit Hawks I have on the backs.

My fronts never has any dust on them while the rears are covered in less than 1 week.

Thanks alot! Ill go with those! :rockon:

SVECobraR

Established Member
the dfx is way to much clutch for your power and a 10 spline input shaft. If you start launching that car on the street or track don't be surprised if you bend/twist/break your input shaft.

I had a centerfor DF and PMP told me it was too much for my 320rwhp 99 cobra, you should have gone with a 03/04 clutch kit and saved a bunch.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I have run Carbotech XP8s, XP10s and XP12s on my 99 track car. Love them.

This past Sunday I put a set of Carbotech "street" pads on the front of our 01. Love them.

I also have another reason to run them... they are a local business for me. In fact, I have had a tour of their place last year and was very impressed.

1997stang

Established Member
the dfx is way to much clutch for your power and a 10 spline input shaft. If you start launching that car on the street or track don't be surprised if you bend/twist/break your input shaft.

I had a centerfor DF and PMP told me it was too much for my 320rwhp 99 cobra, you should have gone with a 03/04 clutch kit and saved a bunch.

Ahh shit. The car is already jacked up in the garage, dfx is here, and waiting to put it in tomorrow. :fm: Im not sure what to do now. Send it back and get the centerforce df or just get the 03/04 stocker.

1997stang

Established Member
I have run Carbotech XP8s, XP10s and XP12s on my 99 track car. Love them.

This past Sunday I put a set of Carbotech "street" pads on the front of our 01. Love them.

I also have another reason to run them... they are a local business for me. In fact, I have had a tour of their place last year and was very impressed.

Do you know where i can buy the carbotech pads?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Ahh shit. The car is already jacked up in the garage, dfx is here, and waiting to put it in tomorrow. :fm: Im not sure what to do now. Send it back and get the centerforce df or just get the 03/04 stocker.
See if the place you purchased it will make an exchange for a Valejo 03/04 or Spec stage 2!

1997stang

Established Member
See if the place you purchased it will make an exchange for a Valejo 03/04 or Spec stage 2!

I never really do hard launches though, i dont take it to the track or anything. Would i still break something even when i don't lauch hard?

K2AHollywood

Established Member

So they are decent then? :poke: The hawks arent that horrible for a carbon pad, my only gripe with them is they have to get heated up before they knock your fillings out

I never really do hard launches though, i dont take it to the track or anything. Would i still break something even when i don't lauch hard?

Dude, like everything else your clutch needs to match your car. That clutch is way too much for you, and with your power level I cant fathom why you felt you needed and extreme [or any] kind of clutch upgrade....especially if you arent doing hard launches like you stated. The stocker would been more then enough for you

1997stang

Established Member
So they are decent then? :poke: The hawks arent that horrible for a carbon pad, my only gripe with them is they have to get heated up before they knock your fillings out

Dude, like everything else your clutch needs to match your car. That clutch is way too much for you, and with your power level I cant fathom why you felt you needed and extreme [or any] kind of clutch upgrade....especially if you arent doing hard launches like you stated. The stocker would been more then enough for you

So should i just buy the stocker clutch from ford for my T56 or should i go with the spec stage 2? The reason i got an aftermarket clutch is because i like how good they grab. There is a king cobra clutch in it right now but it wore out. Do you know of any clutches that compare with the king cobra grip wise?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread