Just bought this car...need feedback

OrigTXCobra

Mustang Nut!
Established Member
I have been looking for a medium to low mileage 93, red with few mods (that I could take it back to original). I have been seeing cars in the 16-20K range with 20 -50K miles, but I found this one near me with 66K for 10.7K.

I dont pick the car up until next weekend, but would love your thoughts....

http://www.atticusdenton.com/Car.htm

So far, I know I need to get the synchros fixed, replace the seat cover (anyone know where I can get OEM seat covers for a good price?), fix the dent in the window frame and of course the ashtray that is infamous for breaking.

I will also start looking for a complete OEM exhaust, stereo, shifter, plugwires, and the elusive floormats. Most of these were the same on the GT and were the same for many years, so it shouldnt be that hard to find I suppose.

Give me your honest feedback and I would appreciate any feedback on sources for deals on parts. Thanks guys, I am VERY excited to have a fox body again and my first 93 cobra ever!!:pepper:

Last edited:

~Ray~

Established Member
Looks like a straight car, I have one just like it with similar miles but leather it is my favorite color. I'd say you got a average deal considering the tranny needs rebuilt & that will cost you more then $500 I'm sure & with the few odd & end peices missing, 93 Cobras are down on price now atleast on Ebay, I've been seeing them going for Thousands less then what they did a few months ago, I myself just bought a almost mint 40k Black one with Grey Leather for $8k the other day on there & another sanded down almost ready for paint for $4,300 week before last.

Seems everyone is selling there 93's right now to try & cash in on the prices they were pulling 6 months ago, it seems but eitherway it looks like you got a nice car @ a descent price & I have a extra brand new factory 93 Cobra radio if interested.

Last edited:

arods93snake

1 of 185
Established Member
Congrats on the Cobra! I think it looks great for what you stole it for! The market is highly variable. One month they are high next they are low. It all depends on what someone will pay for it. I got semi smoked on my first one and after I put some money into it, I still lost out and did not get what I expected but hey I sold it to a friend and I think he is going to keep it. I think I made a great deal on my 2nd one. That one is going to be with me for a very, very long time. It is a Teal/Blk with 46K and it is all original. Still has the air silencer in the fender well. As far as parts check out 50resto, they are pretty good source of OEM parts. Again Congrats! Arod

514SCJ

93 Cobra #4440
Established Member
I saw That car on e-Bay earlier today. I think you got a pretty good deal. I love the red. Goodluck with Your new Cobra!

buddha93

Established Member
I'd say a pretty average deal. Like Ray mentioned, the market has been all over the place, so it's hard to say what it will be worth a year from now.

Overall the car looks really clean. Since you have the cloth interior, I'd try and work with an a shop and repair what you have if the hole isn't too big.

Ditto on 514SCJ's comment............8k is a smoking deal.:bowdown:

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
That car does NOT have 100% original paint. In the floorpan picture you can clearly see the red over spray all over the lines. The plastic line should be black yet it is almost red from all the over spray. It has the wrong taillight lenses.

The engine brackets have been painted black which is not correct.

I'd bet it has had a hard life for a 66k mile cobra. I would be very careful of it. I bet the car was modded at one point and then put back to stock. There is no reason for the synchros to already be gone.

Look the car over very closely. There is a red cobra floating around the dfw area that looks good in pictures yet is built out of bondo in the rear from a bad wreck. The car also had a S-trim that was removed by the last owner. Hope you have not sent any money yet.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Also just noticed the ground effect screws are red which is NOT correct. They should all be black screws.

Its quite obvious that its not 100% OEM paint.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Ok I went back for a third look...... I know this car its is not a 66K original mile car. I was suppose to buy this car back in May. It was listed on ebay back then and was in Rotan, TX. I was to buy the car for $8000. The car had 110k miles at the time. The guy was the second owner and had it since '97. The heater core was bypassed and the synchros were weak.

I then saw the car. It has been drilled in the right qtr. panel and right door. The hatch does not line up with the roof line. They did a crappy bondo repair on the qtr. panel and the body is wavy just above the ground effects. The right door was also rough. The tailights were wrong.

I did not buy the car. The next guy bought the car and then ran the odometer back, put a blower on it and a polished intake. He then posted it for sale like that. I confronted him about the mileage of course he denied it. I knew the vin # and mileage then so I know it has been rollback. The guy ended up pulling the blower and intake and then relisted it for sale.

Carfax will not pick up the rollback because the last registered owner bought it before the 60k mile mark. Therefore mileage is still in order as far as carfax's system works.

~Ray~

Established Member
Sure enough...

I did not even notice them things till now, especially the tail lights they are not even Cobra taillights there 85/86 GT (no pinstripes).

I would now say have to say that thing is a hunk of :lol: don't buy it, it's probably only worth about $7k & even that's if selling without informing the buyer of all the messed up & covered up things. Run far, Run Fast.

Last edited:

514SCJ

93 Cobra #4440
Established Member
Well, It started off at the top of the thread as a pretty fair buy. But halfway down the First page and this Cobras got every RED flag I can think of. Basicly the only thing it has going for it is no salvage title. Yet it should have one. Im glad Daryl and Ray are keeping an eye out!

OrigTXCobra

Mustang Nut!
Established Member
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the feedback. Though I think I would have seen some of the issues you pointed out when I went to get the car, you definitely saved me the trip and potentially a lot of money. Oh well...the search continues. Thanks King, these look to be a bit out of my price range, but I will definitely check them out.

arods93snake

1 of 185
Established Member
Good Eye!

Man, I missed all the above but the taillights! Thank God I did not get smoked on my second one. Next time when in doubt I will definetly post and request ideas. Hope you did not buy the car yet. Good Luck!

Arod

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
looking back it looks rough for 60k. my 121k looked better and i even had all the interior out and inspected the floor board, quarter panels, etc when it had gray interior, its black now. its always a gamble when you buy a used car unless you know the original or current owner. everything mod i've done to mine has been myself, but done like a true professional. :lol1:

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
The car might've been hit. Those taillights are fakes and with the overspray it doesn't bode well. The owner was too cheap to buy the Cobra repro's for $175?

I couldn't find OEM taillight lenses anywhere so I had to buy the knock-offs.

Users who are viewing this thread