Just finished install of Mcleod hydraulic conversion clutch kit!

KingcobraCT427

Established Member
Hey guys, I just finished my install on my 03 cobra of the Mcleod hydraulic conversion kit and it runs great. I got tire of breaking cables. If anyone wants any advice on the kit or any questions please let me know because I know there arent too many cobras out there with this conversion.

Comp04svt

Established Member
What kit did you end up getting? the one that replaces the stock TOB or the one that uses the stock clutch fork?

KingcobraCT427

Established Member
I ordered the Mcleod hydraulic conversion kit 1400 series from americanmuscle.com. I got the kit with the hydraulic TOB which replaces the clutch fork.

z06h8tr

Established Member
How was fitment? Did it suck drilling the remainder 3 holes in the firewall for the adjuster? how is powershifting now? would you recommend it to others? Thanks for all the info in advance

KingcobraCT427

Established Member
Fitment definitely took some custom modifications. Mcleod doesnt even know how to fit the kit with the 03 04 cobras because of the heads. I took it upon myself to put it in. If you do not know what you are doing you need to bring it to someone that does. You have to get clearances of one hundred and eighty thousandths of an inch. I would definitely recommend this kit to you guys that are interested in it.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Post the details and pic on the (custom) work hat you had to do to get it to work please. The more details the better!

KingcobraCT427

Established Member
I know I should, like I said I called Mcleod and they had no idea how to install it properly and pretty much said Im on my own for now until they figure out how to install it.

TRBO VNM

I know I should, like I said I called Mcleod and they had no idea how to install it properly and pretty much said Im on my own for now until they figure out how to install it.

Hmm, maybe because of who you talked to. I spoke to someone back in December and the guy totally understood and said on 4v motors it is hit or miss with clearances because of the valve cover. And that every one they have installed has cleared but some others have reported issues and had to modify things.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
congrats - if you get a chance, please post some pics up. it would be interesting to see how this might work on our cars, thx :beer:

KingcobraCT427

Established Member
I will post some pics when I get a chance, I had to modify the firewall in able to make it fit. Mcleod had problems with the master cylinder for the kit rubbing against the valve cover, I have it adjusted where it does not touch at all. I dont believe Mcleod that they said they didnt have any issues with clearances because I talked to them a week ago before I got my kit and they said they were still working on figuring out how to fit it properly. I didnt wanna wait for them so I took it upon myself to figure it out and it came out just fine :)

TRBO VNM

I will post some pics when I get a chance, I had to modify the firewall in able to make it fit. Mcleod had problems with the master cylinder for the kit rubbing against the valve cover, I have it adjusted where it does not touch at all. I dont believe Mcleod that they said they didnt have any issues with clearances because I talked to them a week ago before I got my kit and they said they were still working on figuring out how to fit it properly. I didnt wanna wait for them so I took it upon myself to figure it out and it came out just fine :)

yeah they must have lied to me. :rollseyes and I have pretty good memory as well I guess.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-hydraulic-clutch-conversion-their-cobra.html

vertigyn

Established Member
Why no pictures!!!!

Having trouble finding 4Vs that have done this...looking like I'll just go the RST or RXT twin disc route unless I can find some install details on this kit.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Is a hydrualic clutch an improvement over a cable clutch?.............not really. Certainly won't be as "reliable".

Users who are viewing this thread