Just getting started.

ifinditundrgrnd

Established Member
I just purchased a 1998 Cobra that is completely stock and I am starting to plan and price a couple of simple modifications. I am not interested in building a race machine, I like the car just the way it is. and would rather keep it pretty close to stock and just drive it on occasion. I am looking at cat-back exhaust systems for it and want something will only make it a bit louder. I saw a couple of vids on youtube with the FM Force II cat-back and thought that would be about perfect. I have been to FM site, Summit, Jegs, Lethal Perf. and American Muscle and it appears that the Force II is only being sold for the V-6 models and F-150's now. It looks like it is going to have to be the FM Amer. Thunder cat-back system now. Here's where the questions come in.

1. Should I just install FM 40's or the Delta 44's only? Will replacing the whole thing from cat-back actually do anything to add to the mimimal performance gain I would expect by upgrading the mufflers/exhaust? I couldn't care less whether the exhaust has chrome tips, I'm more interested in clean looks and will be taking steel wool and elbow grease to the non-polished tips I have now.

2. How noisy are the 44's compared to the 40's? I would like to go a little louder, but definitely am not interested in Loudmouths. I also will not be changing any exhaust from the cats to the engine.

3. I have priced the FM American Thunder on Summit, American Muscle, direct from FM and from Lethal. All seemed to be reasonable and comparable at around $400.00 with shippng included, except for Lethal who wanted nearly $700 + shipping I think. Is it normal for Lethal to be that much higher than everyone else, or am I missing something?

4. After an exhaust swap and a K&N filter, I have little plans for the car other than painting the brake calipers, replacing the nasty carpet, (new carpet and Cobra floormats came in boxes with the car) installing black decals in the rear bumper cover and cleaning up the engine compartment. Does any one have any suggestions for cleaning up/small performance changes that will boost performance without breaking the bank, and will help the cars appearance at car shows.

The car has been covered/garaged for at least the last 3 years and is garaged at my house so the exterior and paint is in very good shape, as is the interior, minus the carpet.

I really appreciate any input you guys may have, as there are some gorgeous Mustangs on this site, and guys who know much more about the cars than I do.

Last edited:

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
when replacing the carpet cut a little at a time. don't get to ballzy. as far as performance goes under drive pulleys help on performance a little and if you get a nice set, it looks really good under the hood. i have blue upr pulleys.

ifinditundrgrnd

Established Member
Does the same advice apply if you have molded carpet specifically for the '96 to '98 Mustang? I assumed that I could pull the old and put the new in.....cutting would be bad because I have the patience of a two-year old.

And BTW, nice car.....:rockon:

Last edited:

LitleWhiteSnake

Yeah, Its a VTEC
Established Member
if you want a true bad ass sound (not raspy at all) and super clean and you can deff tell its a mustang ill say get a bassami X-pipe WITH CATS and flowmaster 40's. this is what i have on my car.. is not loud you can DD it every day.

for performance get some 4:10's and a shortshifter and thats about it.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I just purchased a 1998 Cobra that is completely stock and I am starting to plan and price a couple of simple modifications. I am not interested in building a race machine, I like the car just the way it is. and would rather keep it pretty close to stock and just drive it on occasion. I am looking at cat-back exhaust systems for it and want something will only make it a bit louder. I saw a couple of vids on youtube with the FM Force II cat-back and thought that would be about perfect. I have been to FM site, Summit, Jegs, Lethal Perf. and American Muscle and it appears that the Force II is only being sold for the V-6 models and F-150's now. It looks like it is going to have to be the FM Amer. Thunder cat-back system now. Here's where the questions come in.

1. Should I just install FM 40's or the Delta 44's only? Will replacing the whole thing from cat-back actually do anything to add to the mimimal performance gain I would expect by upgrading the mufflers/exhaust? I couldn't care less whether the exhaust has chrome tips, I'm more interested in clean looks and will be taking steel wool and elbow grease to the non-polished tips I have now.

2. How noisy are the 44's compared to the 40's? I would like to go a little louder, but definitely am not interested in Loudmouths. I also will not be changing any exhaust from the cats to the engine.

3. I have priced the FM American Thunder on Summit, American Muscle, direct from FM and from Lethal. All seemed to be reasonable and comparable at around $400.00 with shippng included, except for Lethal who wanted nearly $700 + shipping I think. Is it normal for Lethal to be that much higher than everyone else, or am I missing something?

4. After an exhaust swap and a K&N filter, I have little plans for the car other than painting the brake calipers, replacing the nasty carpet, (new carpet and Cobra floormats came in boxes with the car) installing black decals in the rear bumper cover and cleaning up the engine compartment. Does any one have any suggestions for cleaning up/small performance changes that will boost performance without breaking the bank, and will help the cars appearance at car shows.

The car has been covered/garaged for at least the last 3 years and is garaged at my house so the exterior and paint is in very good shape, as is the interior, minus the carpet.

I really appreciate any input you guys may have, as there are some gorgeous Mustangs on this site, and guys who know much more about the cars than I do.

Thanks for making us aware of the incorrect price. Not sure how it ended up being so high but none the less it's fixed now to match Jegs price of $379.99

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Jared

97cobra1

Established Member
If i were you, and came across an unmolested car and just wanted to do a few minimal but good bang for your buck mods...

I'd go catback, intake, gears FLSFC shortthrow and springs.

Catback will give you that sound you want. Gears will be your best bang for the buck go fast mod. and the springs/FLSFC's will improve handling quite a bit. And the short throw will just improve the driving experience over the stock notchy shifter.

ifinditundrgrnd

Established Member
Jared, thanks for looking into it, looks like I'll be stopping into Lethal for the exhaust, caliper paint kit and bumper decals if you are carrying all of it.

To the rest of you, yes, I got really lucky to find an unmolested Cobra that was taken excellent care of (At least for the last 4 years or so, I bought it fom my brother who takes excellent care of everything he has.), and want to make it look good, clean and as original as possible. If I am ever lucky enough to trade it back to a dealer for a say.....GT500 or the like, I want to get the maximum trade-in for it that I can. Changing too many parts out from factory will bring a bigger price to someone looking for a completely modded car, but doesn't do much at the dealership. And I'm confident most people here are aware of how hard it can be to do a private sale.....
Maybe I am talking out of my ass on that one.....feel free to correct me if I am.
I am also a family man who has very little time or extra cash to spend modifying the car, and am not mechanically inclined enough to take on intake swaps and the like myself....I'll break something and cost myself an arm and a leg to fix it once I am done with it. Thanks for the advice everyone and keep it coming.

Last edited:

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
my carpet came molded also specifically for the our body style. i had to cut a big notch out of the front of the carpet so it would slide around the shifter and all that. you can look up the video on Mustang Parts & Performance - American Muscle and it will show the carpet with the notch already cut out but there full of crap. mine came in a full square. it's not as hard as it sounds but yes you need patience. let me know if you need any more info.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I regret putting the Flowmaster AM catback on mine every time I hit 2000 rpm's. The 40's are extremely irritating and personally I'd look at other mufflers.

ifinditundrgrnd

Established Member
I regret putting the Flowmaster AM catback on mine every time I hit 2000 rpm's. The 40's are extremely irritating and personally I'd look at other mufflers.

Looks like I'll behitting youtube and check out Magnaflows, I really like the sound of the Bassani exhaust, but I think it is going to be louder than I wantd.

Toasty

Established Member

The exhaust drone has been talked about before in this forum. Having two identical mufflers is apparently the culprit. The factory mufflers are actually two different mufflers and are sized/engineered so that the sound waves dont 'drone'. I'm not sure if teh sound wave from one cancels the other out or what exactly. All aftermarket mufflers for our cars have the drone problem to one degree or another.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
The exhaust drone has been talked about before in this forum. Having two identical mufflers is apparently the culprit. The factory mufflers are actually two different mufflers and are sized/engineered so that the sound waves don't 'drone'. I'm not sure if the sound wave from one cancels the other out or what exactly. All aftermarket mufflers for our cars have the drone problem to one degree or another.

Very interesting. I never heard of that before and never noticed it with the Dynomax mufflers that were on my LX. I guess one needs to listen to a few sound clips before choosing a catback.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
i just did the autotrix sequential taillights on my car. they are for sale in the market section. they are pretty cool and the autotrix kit is cheap. mine work great and the instructions are on there website. it comes with all the hardware too.

autotrix

Established Member
You came to the right place for good, friendly, and helpful info about your car!
Go to the website to see info, prices and the install process.
AutoTrix :: Home

Thanks for the recommendation crash549 :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread