Just got back from the local auto show...

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
...and I must say with exception to a few other models, Ford rules in its class. Chevy, by far, has the cheapest looking interior materials that I saw. Pontiacs are about the same. Saturn, GMC and Cadillac are the best in their categories. I did like the Corvette Z06...the only Chevy I'd have. Sat in a Impala SS and that thing was terribly bland and cheap. I'd take a Charger R/T over that car any day.

Lexus and Infiniti both are very strong models. The G35 sedan is probably the best luxury bang for the buck. Toyota is highly overrated. When you can buy a loaded G35 sedan for what a Avalon costs, that's ridiculous and the Toyota interiors (Tundra included) are rather plain. I just don't get the Toyota fascination.

Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep have gone downhill somewhat. I looked at a 2007 Ram and IMO, it felt considerly poor in build quality next to my 03. Must be some cost-cutting involved. The new Wranglers, are pretty nice though. Sebring and Avenger...they are subpar compared to Fusion and Milan. The 300 and Charger (I like the Charger exterior better) are more spartan on the inside than the Taurus and Sable with both the latter two being very nicely appointed on the inside. The exterior styling goes to Chrysler and Dodge. The Dodge Charger C-pillar is dangerous!!! Taller passengers are very likely to get a concussion from slamming their head on the C-pillar. I pity any criminial forced into the back of a police Charger. Once inside, its pretty comfy.

Ford and Mercury are on target for their audience, I believe. Lincoln, I'm not so sure. The new Navigator is ugly. The Mark LT not even as good IMO as teh F-150 and I do not get these 70s style Lincoln interiors as of late. Yuck.

Personally, I walked away with favorites and they are: Corvette Z06 for the performance. Infiniti G35 sedan for nice luxury sedan or the Infiniti FX45 for an outstanding crossover. The Saturn Sky looked like it would be fun...but not in the shown yellow. The two-door Jeep Wrangler X with oversized tires also caught my fancy and if I were buying a new truck today, I think it would be a Ford F-150.

Sapperstang

Established Member
Sounds like you went to the same one I did yesterday. They had a few Shelbys but had em all locked up where you couldn't sit in them. Ford had a good showing overal though. The fusion would make a very fine daily driver. Mazda had the mazdaspeeds there and those would also make a great daily.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
Yeah, I've got some pics but I've got them on the Corral. I'll post a link on here since the Corral doesn't allow hot linking.

Last edited:

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
Sapperstang said:
Sounds like you went to the same one I did yesterday. They had a few Shelbys but had em all locked up where you couldn't sit in them. Ford had a good showing overal though. The fusion would make a very fine daily driver. Mazda had the mazdaspeeds there and those would also make a great daily.

Yep. I decided Friday would be a better day...cold and rainy would equal low turn-out. I don't understand why Ford is so tight with their Shelbys for. Chevy has put the Z06 on the floor two straight years and welcomed people to get in. Its hard to get passionate about wanting to buy without getting behind the wheel.

The Fusion looks like a well-built car, although I'm not sure about the front end and I did get to look at the Mazdaspeed but didn't get in. My kid was heading for the Lotus Elise and I was trying to keep up. The Lotus is a grown-up go-cart. I had to physically pull my left leg in to the car to get in! The pedals are tiny too. Not for a big shoe for sure and its not for runing errands. Get in and stay in for awhile.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
I didn't really think it was the monster everybody seems to think it is. Personally, I don't really care for them. The dash is too confusing and poorly laid out IMO. My wife hated it too. The Tundra did sit pretty good, but the hood has an odd shape when viewed from the driver seat. After looking at all the other half-tons there, I can say that the F-150 is hands-down the best truck out there. It sure would be nice to see it have more power, but it looks and feels the part of King of the Pickups.

Dodge has cheapened up IMO. When I bought mine, it had nice upholstery, decent dash and good looks. Now, everthing about it looks cheaper. The cloth seats were hard and the material felt rough. Plus, they've gone and tacked on Durango-style taillights. Ugly!

The Chevy and GMC look pretty good on the outside, but they have less attention to detail in the cab. Cheap-looking wood trim and the interior just wasn't up to the Ford standards.

I really like my Dodge and haven't had any problems with it, but seeing what I saw yesterday, it would be hard for me to go with a Dodge again despite the Hemi. I think Dodge was on track to be a good contender for the Ford back in 02-05 but the look and the feel of the new truck just doesn't seem like its in the same league as the F-Series. Since absolute power isn't everything, I'd pick the Ford over Toyota, GM, Dodge or Nissan.

Sapperstang

Established Member
Traveler said:
Yep. I decided Friday would be a better day...cold and rainy would equal low turn-out. I don't understand why Ford is so tight with their Shelbys for. Chevy has put the Z06 on the floor two straight years and welcomed people to get in. Its hard to get passionate about wanting to buy without getting behind the wheel.

The Fusion looks like a well-built car, although I'm not sure about the front end and I did get to look at the Mazdaspeed but didn't get in. My kid was heading for the Lotus Elise and I was trying to keep up. The Lotus is a grown-up go-cart. I had to physically pull my left leg in to the car to get in! The pedals are tiny too. Not for a big shoe for sure and its not for runing errands. Get in and stay in for awhile.

Yeah the Lotus was a pain in the ass to get in and out of! I sat in one of the dodge cars and it actually had a cassette player.

Users who are viewing this thread