Just got home from the dyno...

JP_Stang

Established Member
Hey guys,

Well it was a dissapointing day at the dyno. My tuner got the car dialed in began running her up. We got thru the first pull putting down 533whp, 508whp corrected at 12* timing. We upped the timing 2* and put down 569whp, 533whp corrected. We bumped the timing up 2 more degrees and as he was going thru the gears we heard the alternator make a funny grinding noise for a second then stopped. We looked at eachother wondering the hell it was and about that time the battery light came on and the alternator was now charging at 16V?! Needless to say, we called it a day. I got the car home and for the most part it was in the normal range and everytime I got over 2500rpm the volts would shoot up to 16 again. I got a Ford alternator coming and it should be at my tuners shop tomorrow. I think there is no doubt she would have put down atleast 550whp corrected with the last 2* of timing we added, but I can't say for sure.

The alternator was the least of my worries and was the last thing I expected to happen! It could have gone much worse though so I am happy about that. The reason I said it was dissapointing is because I thought for sure I would hit the 600whp mark with my setup! The car kept making more power everytime we bumped the timing up but it would always start to flat line about 6300-6500 rpm. He said the MAF would level out at the same time the power did. He said this usually happens when the motor just can't flow anymore. So he recommended me going with a short runner intake. He said one of his clients car has basically the same setup with a little more boost, but what he noticed was that the curve kept climbing all the way thru the rpm band, no matter how high he spun the motor the power kept climbing.

Do you guys think a short runner would be worth looking into?? I always thought they were more designed for N/A applications?....

Here is a mod list for you guys:

MMR900 / Stock HCI
Vortech T-trim (Race) w/RR 3.0" pulley (18lbs. of boost)
10% IW Overdrive
Bell Intercooler w/3" tubing
Tial 50mm
ProM MAF
IMRC Deletes
4" Power Pipe
Accufab Single Blade TB
A1000 w/-10 feed, -8 return
Glenn's Pickup tube
BBK FPR & fuel rails
60lb. injectors
Fluidyne Radiator
Boost-a-spark
MSD coil packs and wires
NGK TR6's @.028
Snow Meth kit (not used or tuned for currently)

As far as making power goes, I believe that is just about it. I will add anything if I think of anything else.

Last edited:

JP_Stang

Established Member
We never made a tune for the meth obviously, but we don't think anything would have changed much considering my IAT's only got to 92* and they didnt even start climbing till 6000rpm.

Last edited:

JP_Stang

Established Member
Everything I have read and know about the B-headed cars tells me the same thing Brute. There are several people running stock intakes and making 100whp more than I am easily. I am not sure what is causing it to flat line though. The boost continues climbing all the way to redline. It basically was making about 520whp and 14lbs. of boost at 6000rpm and by 6800 it was only at 533whp and 18lbs. of boost. I don't understand it. If the power would have kept climbing at the rate it was to 6000rpm, by 6800 I would have been knocking on the door of the 600 mark it looks like. Atleast somewhere around 570/580.

Why would the MAF level out though? What can cause this? Like I said, the MAF and power level out at the same time..??

knuckles4696

I 1/4 what you 330
Established Member
what kind of maf is on it? your numbers do seem low and i have to say the manifold is not going to hold you back here. if you need info on manifold SRIs and what not message NASVT here or on corral he can tell you definitevely wether you need to shorten it although i can gaurantee you dont. Do you have IMRCs deletes?

ctgreddy

Established Member
how big is the maf housing? if the maf is flatlining it could be at it's limits and something you will need to address.

JP_Stang

Established Member
I attached a mod list of just about everything that makes a power difference for you guys as a quick reference of what she has.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Well the Mustang Dyno is probably the reason lol!! As for the culprit to the leveling off. My car does the same thing.. You're spinning the blower close to it's efficiency or above it.. So that's the issue right there. Your car is making awesome power man!! I keep trying to push people into the JT-trim when you start spinning the T-trims close to its max rpm power band shifts more to the left because the blower is running out of steam

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Also how advanced are your cams in your car?? That has a lot to do with it too. Judging by the tq I'd say they are advanced a good bit which in turn takes its toll on the top end.

JP_Stang

Established Member
Good point 98! I'm not sure what the cams are degreed at either. I'm pushing the blower to around 60k, so you may be right. It did ok I guess, I was just really wanting to see that 6 on the front of that number.

Well the transformation has just begun on this car so it ain't over yet! ;) I am going to enjoy it where it is for now, but once it gets painted and I land me some CCW classics, I will start saving up for that JT-trim and some head work... It may be another year from now, but this is definitely a "to be continued..." story. I gotta be able to run with the big dogs like 98 and encased for example!! :)

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Good point 98! I'm not sure what the cams are degreed at either. I'm pushing the blower to around 60k, so you may be right. It did ok I guess, I was just really wanting to see that 6 on the front of that number.

Well the transformation has just begun on this car so it ain't over yet! ;) I am going to enjoy it where it is for now, but once it gets painted and I land me some CCW classics, I will start saving up for that JT-trim and some head work... It may be another year from now, but this is definitely a "to be continued..." story. I gotta be able to run with the big dogs like 98 and encased for example!! :)

Yea man you're working that blower for sure!! :beer: Way to represent.. I wouldn't really get caught up on numbers on a Mustang Dyno.. Almost all of them read lower, Get the alternator issue fixed then get the full tune and then take it to a dynojet.. I'll bet you make higher numbers than me :).

I just took my car to a local dynojet that is stingy as shit according to the tuner.. Made exactly 600rwhp SAE.. He came up and said the car is actually making 630rwhp.. So again numbers are just numbers.. :) But thanks for the props on my car!

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Everything I have read and know about the B-headed cars tells me the same thing Brute. There are several people running stock intakes and making 100whp more than I am easily.
Yeah I read a post on here last week a guy has a turbo setup making 878RW through a bone stock 99 Cobra intake and TB, I was flabbergasted! I knew other have made 650+ but when I heard this DAMM..:rockon:

JP_Stang

Established Member
I know it is making more power than I can prove right now. It made 508whp on 12* of timing and then on the next pull made the 533/456 at 14*. We bumped it up to 16* and then is when the alternator crapped out on me. There was a 25whp increase on just 2* of timing, that is why I think it would be safe to say it would have put down 550whp with 16*, but I can't prove that yet. I think I may see if he can throw on the dyno for me and just run it up just to see what she is making on 16*.

On a side note, the belt did hold up with the RR blower pulley which shocked me after hearing all the horror stories about them shreading belts. Also, a couple more gas stations just put E85 pumps in my area....:idea:

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
get it tuned and then dyno on a dynojet if you want numbers. mustang dynos are great for tuning, and dynojets are great for big dick contests

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I know it is making more power than I can prove right now. It made 508whp on 12* of timing and then on the next pull made the 533/456 at 14*. We bumped it up to 16* and then is when the alternator crapped out on me. There was a 25whp increase on just 2* of timing, that is why I think it would be safe to say it would have put down 550whp with 16*, but I can't prove that yet. I think I may see if he can throw on the dyno for me and just run it up just to see what she is making on 16*.

On a side note, the belt did hold up with the RR blower pulley which shocked me after hearing all the horror stories about them shreading belts. Also, a couple more gas stations just put E85 pumps in my area....:idea:

The belt will hold up on the dyno, it's on the street and shock on the accessories where the true test is.. In between shifts etc.. ;)

get it tuned and then dyno on a dynojet if you want numbers. mustang dynos are great for tuning, and dynojets are great for big dick contests

Who said it's even a contest on dick sizes hahaah.. Jk jk jk :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread