just got my 99 cobra!!!

wrenchhead46

Established Member
Just got my 99 cobra on Sunday!!! God damn, so sweet! Traded in my 99 v6 for it, and what a difference! Couple weird things though...i have some sort of squeaking noise that sounds like its coming from the suspension, and i get this weird "clack" noise when i accelerate from coasting, or when i let of the gas to coast.... my buddy says it mightbe worn u joints, any ideas? laterz
-Bill

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Sounds normal to me (having had both a '99 and '01), seemed to get more apparent the more miles i had though......dealer told me that's just what they do. i also had a vibe in the drivetrain at higher speeds in my '99, dealer said that was normal too, but my '01 has never done it......Congrats on your purchase, time to start modding!!!!

Vinnie T

Established Member
I had a suspension squeak that was coming from the parking break cable where it attached to the underside of the car in front of the rear wheel. It was the rubber casing rubbing against the metal retaining clip. I rearranged it slightly and put a little grease on it, and it stopped.
Some owners have complained about a driveline clunk that they attributed to what they considered as excessive driveline slack. You might want to check with your dealer and see if any TSB's have come out on that.

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
Nothing like going from a V6 to the 32V !!!

Congrats ..... You are going to love it :beer:

wrenchhead46

Established Member
well i figured out the clacking noise!! Stupid ford mechanics! The driveshaft bolts werent tightened at all, not even finger tight! Jeez. Well now that thats fixed, im gonna check out that cable. Although i had ford run a vin check and the car has had all the recalls performed on it.
on another note, my clutch is pretty burned out(grinding in reverse) and im thinking about replacing it. Any recommendations over factory equipment? Also whats a good trans to upgrade to? Ive read too many horror stories about the stock ones breaking. Thanks guys
-Bill

simpman

game artist
Established Member
I just got my 99 Cobra too. I love it. Awesome car.
Did someone say something about a secret handshake....hehe

Last edited:

AzDropTop

Established Member
Picking mine up on Wednesday. A 99 Convertible! Went from v6 to GT to Cobra. I never get it right the first time!!! Congrats.
GTCobra7.jpg

Alex Swinney

Established Member
Originally posted by AzDropTop
Picking mine up on Wednesday. A 99 Convertible! Went from v6 to GT to Cobra. I never get it right the first time!!! Congrats.
GTCobra7.jpg

Dunno if it matters to you monetarily, but I was gonna pick up my cobra from Tucson, AZ..it's a black coupe with 17k miles and the guy was asking $16.5k with minor rear bumper damage...It's almost a steal, and has warranty on it till 5-05...

AzDropTop

Established Member
Ya know, I have seen that car in the Auto Trader for about 4 months now. He lives just a few miles from where I live in fact. Never checked it out because I didn't want black and I had the GT to trade. What kind of damage does it have? It really does sound like a steal. Let me know how it goes or if you need someone to check it out before you make the trip.
email is [email protected]

Alex Swinney

Established Member
Basically the driver's side 'arm' of the rear bumper sticks out like on a paper airplane, and that's about it.

I already got my cobra, though, but thanks for the offer! I wish I found this place, particularly you, earlier! I got my car from down in Tampa, FL.

Lo Pony

Established Member
Your squeak is a bushing somewhere in the IRS.

Jack your car up and apply white lithium grease spray to every bushing and joint in the IRS subframe. Also, spray the rear spring mounts and rubber buscuits top and bottom.

Mine had a squashing sound when it went over bumps, but the spray lube took care of it all.

Users who are viewing this thread