Just got Nitrous

97SVTStang

Established Member
Well I finally got my nitrous kit. Need some help though what spark plugs and gap are you all using on a 97 Cobra motor. Also anyone have any photos of where they put the solenoids and any tricks to the installation.

Thanks

Last edited:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
You could go with the Motorcraft AWSF22C plugs, or a compatible cross matched plug from a different manufacturer. NGK TR-6's or Autolite 764's for example. Being that they are a little colder than stock plugs, I'd keep the stock gap which is .052 Keep an ear out for detonation. Shrink the gap if you hear any and see if that stops it.

juicedgt02

Established Member
I just ordered AWSF12Cs I was told that thses are good to use with a 125 shot on my 02 GT and to gap them at .35. I was told that by few people.:shrug:

Keep an ear out for detonation

Can you tell me more less what would it sound like, am not sure and defenitly don't want to blow my car up.:shrug: :read:

Xzyras

Established Member
Can you tell me more less what would it sound like, am not sure and defenitly don't want to blow my car up.

It will sound bad and its not a normal sound. It would sound like a loud knocking or like popcorn poping but louder(volume). Well if you here any kind of noise thats not normal and you don't here it everyday, and it sounds like its poping no matter what the tone or volume in fast random intervals, then you got detonation.:) 125 shot of nos sounds pretty wicked man, good stuff. Hope that thing fly's.:beer:

Last edited:

juicedgt02

Established Member
then you got detonation
So when the car does detonate while spraying willit go BOOM? And if it doesnt is the engine messed up, will I need to replace parts or what. Never had to worry about thses things untill I got some juice. :thumbsup:

Xzyras

Established Member
So when the car does detonate while spraying willit go BOOM? And if it doesnt is the engine messed up,

I it might blow. Your car is not supposed to detonate, that means either not enough fuel (octane)or spark.(I think) If you car is doing that dont drive it until you fix it...and definitely dont spray that poor thing or its sure to blow. If you dont blow the motor while spraying (if your pinging) then its hard to tell but its got to put some serious stress on you internals. IS your car pinging or something? It shouldnt. Stock with noz, I dont see why it would, well dont screw up the plugs thats for sure, but other than that you shouldnt ping. Just use the highest octane and try some octane booster. Usually it's the turbo cars that ping, when people start cranking up the boost and dont upgrade there fuel and ignition systems. But if your still worried I believe that there is a retard sensor that will prevent detonation by retarding your timing instead of blowing your motor.(Better than a blown motor I think):dw:

Well good luck! If im wrong some of these guys should be able to clear it up a bit more.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

juicedgt02

Established Member
I have sprayed it on a stock engine and had no problems at all, there is a vid here somewhere of me on a dyno. since than I have added steeda pulleys, x pipe, cat-back and 3.73s and I had a custom flip chip done for this car. side 1 works perfectly but side 2 that was burned for a 125 shot plus the mods is not working well at all. So I wanted to know if I could spray it on side 1 and if anything goes wrong can I just shut it down and not worry about exploding? :shrug:

Xzyras

Established Member
if anything goes wrong can I just shut it down and not worry about exploding?

The thing is that there is no way of knowing for sure if the motor will blow or not with what your doing.:nonono: Also detonation usually only occurs in high rpm under heavy throttle(when you use noz)Get that chip fixed or you won't have enough fuel/air mixture and thats not safe. If you start to ping then yes stop shooting and let of the throttle, but if you shoot and it goes boom, then shutting it down won't help you at all. You have to prevent detonation, there is nothing you can do after.:(

125 shot must kick ass...but you know your limiting the life of your engine with that much nos. Try to hold off on it. Use it at the track not on the street.(well every know and then gotta use it, you dont have it for nothing right) My opinion anyway.:burnout:

P.S. Try looking for some prevention upgrades:thumbsup:

juicedgt02

Established Member
Dude you are a lot of help I hope I will get a chance to :beer: with you. I am dont really juiced it alot just few times at the track the pressure was low and I didnt get a good time. My brother just installed a series 4 SC on his s 281 saleen. Since day one we have been disputing what is better/quicker and so on(I am not starting any wars here) I told him that my 260hp GT with gears, exhaust, pulleys and a 125shot of juiced will be quicker than his 285hp (before SC) saleen. Now I think he might be up to 365-380hp. What do you think. Without juiced I ran a 14.1 to his 14.4 he says luck of traction, I say :xpl: I ran the same track as you did.:nono:

Xzyras

Established Member
Sounds like it might be close. But if he tunes it well, then you might have trouble. Remember he is going to put down more power a lot longer than you. Just hope that shot of nos holds out long enough for you to make it to the finish before him cause he is going to be coming up on you fast.(not to mention you will be behind before you shoot):thumbsup:

It should be a good run. You should both have some good times!What Saleen does your brother have? 14.4 seems a little slow for a saleen? Are you running a wet or dry nos system? Good luck!! 125 shot is serious stuff...
:burnout:
:burnout:

juicedgt02

Established Member
What Saleen does your brother have? 14.4 seems a little slow for a saleen?

2001 S-281 non SC untill 2 days ago. :thumbsup:

Are you running a wet or dry nos system?

I guess it's wet, it goes in before TB, I am not damn I just can't remember:idea: And a non SC saleen only does like flat 14s on the 1/4.

Question, do you think if I try to drive around on side 2 on my chip the car my learn or adjust to the chip. I have heard that after resetting your memory, your car needs a lil time to relearn?:read: :read: :shrug:

Xzyras

Established Member
Question, do you think if I try to drive around on side 2 on my chip the car my learn or adjust to the chip. I have heard that after resetting your memory, your car needs a lil time to relearn?

I dont think so...but then again im not the guy to ask about chips.:shrug: I just got my cobra. I have had my rx7 for about 5 years, and we dont do chips, we have to program a programmable ECU. Does it cost a lot to get them programmed? you should go back to the people that did your chip and have them do it right...you paid them to do it right, they should get it right, you need that chip (and bought it ) to tune your car and get it running right and saftly.:cuss:

Maybe someone else on here can help you with chips...what chip do you have?:beer:

juicedgt02

Established Member
what chip do you have?

I have a diablo flipchip from fordchip.com.:loser: I just got an email from them a week later saying that he wont be in his office until end of the week and than he will look into my file. :shrug: I hope they get it right :cryying: :bash:

Users who are viewing this thread