Just got pulled over for driving a diesel.

sb306

Established Member
Today driving to work saw 3 guys and one highway patrol vehicle pulled to the side of the road. They waved the gas car in front of me ahead, then waved me over. Well, one of the guys had a chp uniform on and the other two had "california air resources board" uniforms on which looked exactly like the chp uniforms. They poped my fuel cap and Im guessing they were checking to see if I was running agricultural red dye diesel. Just guessing though. Then they asked who the name of the owner was. I told them it was a personal vehicle. Then they told me that was it. I would say I hate California, but this is probably just the tip of the iceberg. I do hate california though. Oh well, just wanted to vent.

Last edited:

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
California----"We want cheap gas&power, but we don't want any in-state generation or offshore drilling 100miles off our shore".................retards.

.02 vent

BLOWN PONY

Established Member
What? Is red diesel cheaper or somthing?

Oh, and how would the know if they only check the gas cap?

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
Most states do that randomly.

+1

Every state I've ever lived in has had that law on the books, and in every state I've heard of instances of people being "spot checked." I never thought it a big deal, but I can see [the OP's] concern if you were unfamiliar with this law.

Were they at least nice about it?

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
I knew about the dyed diesel law (only for Ag etc.), but have never actually seen anyone get checked. Crazy.

gump

aka jamz
Established Member
Today driving to work saw 3 guys and one highway patrol vehicle pulled to the side of the road. They waved the gas car in front of me ahead, then waved me over. Well, one of the guys had a chp uniform on and the other two had "california air resources board" uniforms on which looked exactly like the chp uniforms. They poped my fuel cap and Im guessing they were checking to see if I was running agricultural red dye diesel. Just guessing though. Then they asked who the name of the owner was. I told them it was a personal vehicle. Then they told me that was it. I would say I hate California, but this is probably just the tip of the iceberg. I do hate california though. Oh well, just wanted to vent.

California lawmakers loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee the high taxes on gas there...............
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/24/MNEUVPO10.DTL&tsp=1

There is one group of people excited about gas prices in California ... lawmakers, who are trying to figure out how they are going to spend all of this sales tax revenue.

Big Government at it's best!!!

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
They do it quite a bit in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. A friend of mine did alot of Cattle hauling down to Oklahoma and Texas. He got stopped every now and then. They'd actually take a dip stick and stick it down your tank to see what color the fuel was. If you get busted its a pretty hefty fine I believe.

Kyle

Dusten

Established Member
They do it quite a bit in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. A friend of mine did alot of Cattle hauling down to Oklahoma and Texas. He got stopped every now and then. They'd actually take a dip stick and stick it down your tank to see what color the fuel was. If you get busted its a pretty hefty fine I believe.

Kyle

some states are as high as 5K per gallon in the tank

sb306

Established Member
^He had a white dipstick type thing so I assumed that's what he was checking. I drove a diesel(freight business +-350 miles a day) for 4 years and I've had this truck for about 3 years and its the first time I've heard of it or seen it. But, just because its a law doesn't make it right though. Sounds like a random search to me. Governments pissin me off man.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
+1

Every state I've ever lived in has had that law on the books, and in every state I've heard of instances of people being "spot checked." I never thought it a big deal, but I can see [the OP's] concern if you were unfamiliar with this law.

Were they at least nice about it?

I've driven past a few in my area that are testing for it.

wicked5_0

Established Member
Its not taxed. Its mean for Ag use only.

Exactly. It means they are checking to make sure you are not running non-taxed(ag diesel) on a streetworthy, registered vehicle. It is sometimes referred to as high-diesel due to it's higher sulphur content. I have seen them dip in to the tank and also swab the exhaust to check for this in LA. That's Louisiana.

Users who are viewing this thread