Just my luck

Boobinspector

Established Member
Well I have to pull the motor. On the day of christmas eve I was getting ready to take my son with me to go look around speed unlimited and get my son out the house for the day. Instead I ended up spending that evening draining the oil pan and the intercooler system yippy. Turns out I have a cracked intercooler :fm:. In all the only person I can blame for this is myself and stupidity. Seeing as how I left the car outside with a not so good mix of anti freeze and water in the I/C system.:nonono:

Well we will see what and if there is really damage to be fixed. What I do know is that I have a trumped time frame to get done by no later than the middle to end of march. Seeing as I will be going from the Navy to the Army in april YEAH. I would like to go ahead and thank Jason (TRBOVNM) and Dwight for your support and help so far. Maybe if all goes well she might get a good mod or two out of all this crap :-D.

But really more than anything I miss just taking it out once a week or more for a quick blast or driving it down some back roads. Driving the Freestyle is just not the same.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
why would you need to pull the motor if it's the intercooler?:shrug:

+1 Pulling the motor to replace the intercooler? If you mean the IC under the blower, why can't you just pull the intake manifold off?

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I saw Billy repairing one of those a few years ago. I'm also not sure how much work it is to get it out, but probably less than you think.

But I think the more important question is..are you going to lose the cool flight deck avatar when in the Army? Hope not.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I've heard of this happening on 4 other occasions and in all 4 situations, the IC was repaired and multiple oil changes cleansed the short block. Never went into the motor. Here's one of the instances and this guy has run 9's on an Eaton since then with the same motor......not pretty but fixable:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminator-talk-229/545841-well-my-car-down-count-long.html

IMG_5106.jpg

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Oh I get it.

Intercooler cracks, water/coolant gets into the intake manifold and down into the cylinders, then leaks past the rings into the oil?

Just don't start the car. Fix the I/C then change the oil a few times like dwight said. It should eventually clear up I'd think.

Then again, everything on my car is breaking, so I shouldn't be the one giving advice :nonono:

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
+1 on not pulling the engine. That sounds like a bunch of completely un-necessary work. Just pull and repair/replace the ic, then flush the oil a few times. No big deal, just a tedious hassle.

TRBO VNM

yes, he had a lot of water in the cylinders. all the water that was in the system and then more that he added. The car has been sitting as well. That is the main problem and potential rust. it is one thing when you get it all done within a few days. but once water sits and it is allowed to develop rust, that is pretty bad. I mentioned we could swap the intercooler and try it out and see what happens as others have, but I think Mark would rather pull the motor and we will probably pull a couple pistons and check the rings and make sure there is no rust. he may even take the opportunity to upgrade the pistons. but it is up to him on the route he goes.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
if you are pulling the motor to check the pistons i vote upgrade them while you are there, hell in fact I say just get a stroker kit, 302 cubic inches of stroked and eaton fury sounds good to me!

sunburned I thought your car was finally fixed? or is there still gremlins popping up?

Users who are viewing this thread