Just picked up a boss now its time to mod it.

themasterg8

Established Member
Im a first time mustang owner. Ive always been a chevy guy but I drove one of the new 5.0s and it hurts to say but theres no comparison.

Whats the best shifter for these
What are some good exhaust systems to run
Cold air intakes etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated I would like to get it putting around 450plus to the wheels, and then maybe go forced induction.

AZBOSS

Established Member
MGW
Roush, Corsa, or GT500 mufflers, each with the baffle plates totally removed in the side exhaust.
Don't bother, the factory setup is good enough.

LindsayEOD

Established Member
I agree with AZ Boss except I would add Borla's to the exhaust. I had the Roush and GT500 and prefer the Borla to both. The MGW really adds to the driving experience. If you want to add some hp, I would recommend Shaun at AED for a tune. The CAI will do nothing without a tune. Don't forget to add some photos!

svt1111

Established Member
Congrats on waking up and smelling the coffee.

You made a good choice buying a Boss as your first Mustang. The best of the breed no question.

I'd suggest nothing more than a lethal off road 3" X pipe, GT500
Mufflers and a Steeda CAI. Get an AED tune from Shaun.

My car went consistent 11.50's with just this combo (plus skinnies and mine shaft air, lol).

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
i would seriously suggest that you cool your jets a little and drive the car. many will say that the boss 302 is the best mustang built to date. be careful messing with it. it can be improved, but you can mess it up too.

particularly as a new to ford/mustang guy. get to know the stuff first. there is plenty of time to change the unique exhaust on that car. drive it like it is for a while.

bpmurr

Established Member
Do yourself a favor and enjoy it stock for a while. Put some miles on it and make sure everything is working properly. You don't want to have to deal with warranty issues right out of the box.

86Fbody

Established Member
i would seriously suggest that you cool your jets a little and drive the car. many will say that the boss 302 is the best mustang built to date. be careful messing with it. it can be improved, but you can mess it up too.

particularly as a new to ford/mustang guy. get to know the stuff first. there is plenty of time to change the unique exhaust on that car. drive it like it is for a while.

+1, that and make sure you brake it in properly without mods.

Boss949

Established Member
Congrats; you will enjoy every minute behind the wheel.

Old School break in : First 500 miles, vary the engine speed; no cruise control, etc.
Change the oil @1000 miles.

Axle Back exhausts won't hurt anything and will make it sound way better.
Here is a link to my post with video of the Roush's
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2012-boss-302-mustang-373/890751-roush-axle-back-video.html

After much research, I installed the Roush Axle Backs. Loud, Deep and awesome. I think someone said to Remove Side Restrictor Plates; Absolutely do that.

Last edited:

RSKtakR

Established Member
drive it until you get like 5k miles on it and make sure there are no issues with it before you start modding it.. I have 2600 miles on mine and it has to go back in to have the transmission drain plug replaced (drain the trans, put a new drain plug and gasket in, then refill the trans with new fluid). Just get the trackey installed and then mod it later after the bugs (if any) are worked out of it.

NOGI88

Established Member
This thread has talked me outta tuning my boss for now. I just installed gt500 axle back and took the restrictor plates off. I like the car a lot more now. It sounds great!

86Fbody

Established Member
This thread has talked me outta tuning my boss for now. I just installed gt500 axle back and took the restrictor plates off. I like the car a lot more now. It sounds great!

Its the best thing to do, that and if for any reason your motor or trans where a dud from the factory Ford can't blame it on tunes or anything else you did to the car.

guarnibl

Established Member

After installing the FRPP 624 HP kit on my Boss, I must say that it can very much be improved :)

The noticeable things I see about the Boss:

1) Spring rates are too soft, even at 5/5.
2) Car gets lateral axle movement (a lot of it)
3) Car gets a TON of wheel hop
4) Stock tires are terrible (LS model are much better).
5) Car sits too high (i realize it's a design decision, but it's still way too high for my taste).

First thing I'm doing after the supercharger (which has greatly exasperated problems #3 and #4):

1) Control arms (lowers relocated w/ billet arms, steeda uppers)
2) Koni's w/ Steeda Comp Springs
3) Nitto NT05's in 305 all around.
4) sway bars

For exhaust I see no reason to modify it right away minus taking off the baffles. That's all I did with mine and it sounds perfect.

FYI, I'm not complaining about the Boss -- for $43k that's one HELL of a bargain vehicle. But with money, we can improve it :)

Last edited:

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
i guess i just dont feel the need. my race car doesnt make as much power as a factory boss. the racing i can do with that car puts me on the track with my choice if world challenge or grand am drivers or both at the right event. if i dont need 400whp for racing performance that is still beyond my ability to max it out, i dont see the value in 600 or 800 or 1000whp for the street.

but thats just me.

Users who are viewing this thread