Just thinking about some things. Would like to get your opinion.

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
I recently thought about my plans for my new edge the other day. I want/wanted to build a high 11 second car,that could be driven on the street with no problem. Thats no hard at all,but the amount of money that I would have to put into the car to get it to that level is in question. As im finding out more and more,these cars werent built no where near the same spec as the 03-04 cobra.

Of course im not comparing the two,but when you are talking about trying to run fast 1/4 times,the terminator always pops up in your mind. So far I have done tasteful mods to the car (mods in signature),but I dont want to continue going,and find myself losing interest in the project. Im already starting to lose interest due to the fact im trying to build the car the "Right" way (suspension,brakes,drivetrain first,power adder,body last),instead of just throwing boost on the motor,and hoping it doesnt blow in a year. Putting a bunch of non "go fast" parts on your car,is a good feeling,but it isnt doing it for me. Im wondering if I need to stop modding the car now,and just save up for a terminator and sell this car,or what route do you guys see as the best route for me?

:??:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
high 11s can be done naturally aspirated with the right mods. It may not be the most comfortable car in the world to daily drive, but it shouldn't be too bad.

However, I would probably go to an 03 if it isn't going to put you in financial difficulty.

MrBrain

Corner carver
Established Member
I feel ya. I'm in the same situation. I've done the chassie and my next step is the KB with intercooler. But as I dragrace to some extent and also goes to open tracks some times it must stay together. So that means clutch, gearbox and stage 5 driveshafts. Maybe a terminator diff as well. That would set me back around $12k, just about the kind of money you'd need to add for a terminator...

For me a terminator is not an option since I could not get it to pass inspection here and furthermore I'd have to import one from the US (+shipping, customs, etc..). But if I'd sell the cobra and add a little money I can start looking at car like the new Lotus Elise, that car is really awesome at tracks.

In your case however I'd say save up for the terminator. If it was a 01 maybe not but since it's a 99 it might be worth considering IMO.

Last edited:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Gears, Spray, Tune, Prostars, and ET Streets...bang 11s!

Or don't worry about going fast and just enjoy what your car is now.

When i think about going fast the first thing that pops into my head is a Fox Notchback...but thats just me LOL

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
high 11s can be done naturally aspirated with the right mods. It may not be the most comfortable car in the world to daily drive, but it shouldn't be too bad.

However, I would probably go to an 03 if it isn't going to put you in financial difficulty.

I dont think I will be in financial difficulty at this point in my life. I have very little financial obligations,and im very conscious about how much I spend per month.

I feel ya. I'm in the same situation. I've done the chassie and my next step is the KB with intercooler. But as I dragrace to some extent and also goes to open tracks some times it must stay together. So that means clutch, gearbox and stage 5 driveshafts. Maybe a terminator diff as well. That would set me back around $12k, just about the kind of money you'd need to add for a terminator...

For me a terminator is not an option since I could not get it to pass inspection here and furthermore I'd have to import one from the US (+shipping, customs, etc..). But if I'd sell the cobra and add a little money I can start looking at car like the new Lotus Elise, that car is really awesome at tracks.

In your case however I'd say save up for the terminator. If it was a 01 maybe not but since it's a 99 it might be worth considering IMO.

Thats the major thought process thats going on right now. And if you think about how many more modifications I have to do before I can even START thinking about building my motor,its a LOT. 03 04 cross member brace,BF diff brace,Ring and pinion gears,03 04 halfshafts,IRS brackets,etc.

Then you have think about how much its going to cost you to build the motor for the Boost setup you are going with,as well as how much the forced induction setup is going to cost you. By the time you are done,you will have gone over the price that you would have paid for a terminator,and you more than likely will not be faster than a Terminator with a Ported Eaton and supporting mods,or a KB'd/Whippled Terminator. I just dont think its a smart move for me to try and build this car from the ground up and try to turn it into something it clearly wasnt supposed to be from the factory. I mean it would be fun,but im looking for the cost effective route at this point.

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
Gears, Spray, Tune, Prostars, and ET Streets...bang 11s!

Or don't worry about going fast and just enjoy what your car is now.

When i think about going fast the first thing that pops into my head is a Fox Notchback...but thats just me LOL

Well Im thinking the last few things I should do to the car,is finish up the brakes,throw gears and a tune on her,and maybe some wheels and call it a day. From there on,try to put her on the market,as well as save up funds for maybe a terminator,or a vehicle that comes from the factory with a turbocharger or supercharger. I think thats my main problem,I have had a forced induction car since 2005,and ive been having withdrawls ever since.:bash:

luiSVT99

CoyoteFTW
Established Member
i was/am in the same boat as you i wanted a terminator bad, got a 99 for cheap, so i planned on fix it+sell= terminator down payment, but thanks to some guys around here and seeing how no one expects nohting from an N/A Cobra i'll like to keep the car and make it fast

here is my inspiration
Bolt On Kezells 01
[ame="http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2001-Cobra-Kooks-LT-with_104864.htm"]2001 Cobra Kooks LT with Bassani catback- Video[/ame]

12.23@112 to a best of 12.18!!

from there he went from 4.30s to 4.56s and i'm waiting for his results, i think he will see 11s so thats pretty much the route to follow IMO

Now if some day in the future i can afford a Termi without selling the 99 would be great, i can wait until November of 2012 when '03 vehicles can be made national

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Keep what you got. Be different and have a fast n/a car. I love the feeling I get from running a 03/04 car and getting back to the pits and watching the guy trip over his jaw as he gets out of his car. I feel almost like if anyone has a pre 03 cobra its like they don't exist anymore. Yes there's a ton of fast 03/04 cobras out there but its fun surprising the crap out of them. -Mark

dirty_canadian

Team Beast Coatings.
Established Member
i do like the fact that ive got a "heavy" n/a '99 vert and its faster than most bolt on '03's around, hell i outran a friends brand new '09 gt500 recently, theyre like "but i got a blower" i bet if i put a solid axle in my car it would go 11's, i really wish it was a coupe sometimes.

full exhaust, ported intake, good tune, 4.56's, solid axle, track wheels and tires you will see 11's

Smoked SVT

Established Member
When I bought my car the guy said with a 275 nittos he ran 12.11 @116 (I think). Then it was a completlely stock suspension. Since I bought it I havent been able to track it due to twisting the axle tube twice but I hope to soon. The guy at my local speed shop said with a good driver I should be able to hit 11.8's or 9's...My goal for the first track day is to break 12.1 though. Currently Im running 315/35/17 nitto dr's but by then Ill have my 315/30/18 bfg dr's on. My mods are in sig...basically built suspension, 100 shot, and 4.56 gear.

wma8706

Established Member
[/QUOTE]here is my inspiration
Bolt On Kezells 01
[ame="http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2001-Cobra-Kooks-LT-with_104864.htm"]2001 Cobra Kooks LT with Bassani catback- Video[/ame]

12.23@112 to a best of 12.18!!

from there he went from 4.30s to 4.56s and i'm waiting for his results, i think he will see 11s so thats pretty much the route to follow IMO

Now if some day in the future i can afford a Termi without selling the 99 would be great, i can wait until November of 2012 when '03 vehicles can be made national[/QUOTE]
Here is another vid of the same 01 cobra vs a C6 vette at the tracks [ame="http://videos.streetfire.net/video/01-NA-Cobra-vs-Corvette_177252.htm"]http://videos.streetfire.net/video/01-NA-Cobra-vs-Corvette_177252.htm[/ame]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread