Just wanted to share a story.

djax

Established Member
This post has little if anything to do with the 03 Cobra, so if you feel I have posted it in the wrong area please tell me so. The 03 area is the only one I read at this time and after reading the average age poll this might be a story many of you will enjoy and or even relate to.

I am sitting here waiting for Fed-Ex. The bank sent me a check from my home equity line and once I have that I’m off to get the new Cobra. But that is not the story.

Growing up my Dad had one basic rule; if it is not broken please do not try to fix it. My old man never did even the simplest mods to any of his cars. Not even a K&N or an aftermarket stereo. STOCK!

I turned out very different. My rule was no matter how good it is, I know I can make it better. Worked out well, I was the house handyman. But that still is not the story.

Now I have a son, 17, and a 1999 GT, not stock. Every 17-year-old boys dream right. Dad gets a new car, I get the old Mustang?!?! So we talked last night about that scenario. But I was not prepared for his response. “Dad, can I trade it in for a Toyota Tacoma?” What could I say? He is into art and his band. He can move the bands equipment with a truck and…………………the story went on but I have no idea what he said after that. My son is much like my own father. His motto is; I’m not sure if it is broken or not, let me give it to my Dad, he can fix it.

How did this happen? I guess the good news is I do not have to worry about him out street racing a 300 HP car and asking me for money for his next mod because he got beat by a Vette last night. But still for some reason I feel like a part of me was lost. I wonder if that is how my old man felt when I spent my free time out in his garage fixing this or rebuilding that?

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
I have the exact same scenario with my 15 year old son. As you can see in my sig, I have a fairly mooded 2000 GT that my son feels he is entitled to when I got my Cobra. However, he DOES NOT want to trade it in. I told him under no circumstances would I let him get a high performance car until he gets at least two years of driving experience with a weak 4 or 6 cylinder car first. I was 35 when I got my GT (first performance car ever), and was amazed at how easily it got away from me from time to time. I could not imagine what a 16 year old with friends egging him on would do...

I would say you have the better situation ;-)

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
Must skip a generation :shrug:

Your grandson and you will have much modding to do ;-)

matt lankford

all is sold
i had a self paid for/mother co-signed saleen at 17. got some tickets but nothing to bad until i went to jail at age 19 and that was on a bike,2 months before that i totaled a z06 however it was raining and f1 supercars say in the manual not to drive in the rain. slicker than slicks and a lady pulled out in front of me.

SonterraSVT

10thAnniversary SVT Cobra
Established Member
djax,

Has you son seen the new Cobra yet? I think maybe when he sees your new cobra he but reconsider. But who knows, the Toyota Tacoma is a wonderful truck, rugged, sharp looking, and very dependable. From the post it seems you are a great dad, and when you get the Cobra and the Toyota for you son he will have the best of both worlds. (A Cool Truck, and a Cool dad with a Cobra...)

djax

Established Member
Part of me is glad that I do not have to worry about his youthful indiscretions and that he is not afraid to be his own person, but there is still that part of me that wishes he was just a little more like me. My wife on the other hand is very pleased. Both in his selection of vehicles and that he is not a little more like me.

I do hope I have a few more years before grandkids but my grandfather did help me get my first “sports” car, a 1985 RX-7.

Now where is that check? It is a sunny So Cal day and I have a new convertible waiting for me.

djax

Established Member
SonterraSVT,

Thanks for the complement. I have been very lucky as a father as I have two wonderful kids. I also have a 6-year-old daughter who is ready to go for a ride in the new car with no top. They try to hide it but I think the whole family is looking forward to this car; even the wife wants to cruise the beach tonight.

Now all I need is that check!

TOC

Established Member
There's always another way to look at things, , , it might be a blessing.

When my own son turned 16. I got him an older Z28. It was a super clean car but needed some engine work. . . So I thought this would be a great project for the two of us, , a father and son thing. . . And it was just that for a while. But that car got expensive for me and turned into his obsession.

Part of the deal when I got the car was that he had to meet certain goals and I would give him the title when he graduated from HS. I ultimately ended up taking the thing away from him and putting it in storage (long story, let’s just say he was bad).

I eventually gave him the car but I don't think it was ever a good thing for him. . About the only good thing that came from the episode was that he learned how to repair and maintain a vehicle.

He has since matured, the Z28 is long gone and now he drives a Ford Explorer. . . Sometime he talks about wanting a Mustang, but he has other priorities in his life for now, and that OK with me.

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Wow that is similar story as mine..My Dad liked Performance cars but never modified them.
I modify everything.and my 2 sons drive unmodified BMW's that i won't let park in my driveway.:rollseyes
Atleast my Dad drove Fords.He had a T bird and Even a Ford station wagon with a 429 engine.
I guess it does skip a generation.
My grandson should be like i am. :D

Jim V.:shrug:

djax

Established Member
OK, I need to calm myself, I almost gave the Fed-Ex driver a hug.
I have money in hand now. I called the wife for a ride to the dealer and she wanted to know what I had on. I acted like I didn’t understand what she was getting at but I just went and changed my shirt?!?!

Well, I’m off. It is an absolutely gorgeous Southern California day and my new convertible awaits.:beer:

B-O-B'03

Established Member
Originally posted by Jim Vaccaro
Wow that is similar story as mine..My Dad liked Performance cars but never modified them.
I modify everything.and my 2 sons drive unmodified BMW's that i won't let park in my driveway.:rollseyes
Atleast my Dad drove Fords.He had a T bird and Even a Ford station wagon with a 429 engine.
I guess it does skip a generation.
My grandson should be like i am. :D

Jim V.:shrug:

Since I got the Cobra My 17, soon to be 18 year old son is now my shadow/best friend. :-D

You wont see me any where in my car with out him, unless it is during school time.

Now we are talking about maybe getting him a different car, other than the '86 Fleetwood Brougham he currently drives.

I think it would be a blast helping him work on what ever ride he chooses.

-Brian

CobraTone

Established Member
I think it is the opposite with my stepdad and I. He is driving a Camry and I am driving the Cobra. Maybe he is reliving his youth through me, but that's cool with me. I started off with a Corolla at 16, he bought me my 2000 GT when I was 18 because my best friend had just bought a V6 mustang and I had to be able to beat him. Then a couple of months ago, he invites me to dinner with my mom, and they show up in the Cobra and say "It's yours." What was I supposed to say, other than "SWEEEEET!" Anyways, he is not totally anti-modding, he is at least letting me put an exhaust on it for Christmas. He is content with me letting him drive it every once in a while when I come home from school. :D

Redwing

Established Member
And I thought I was generous by getting my oldest son a 2001 Honda Civic Coupe with 17" aftermarket wheels and Yoko 215/40 tires! He's since modded it a bit and belongs to a local Civic Club, but he jumps at a chance to drive the Cobra.
My middle son has a 93 dodge Spirit 4-door, which I gave him at 17. It has alloy wheels and Pirelli performance tires, as well as gas-filled shocks and a sway bar. It has 4-wheel disc brakes and anti-lock. It actually scoots along pretty good, and handles well. Both boys follow Nascar and Formula one. My youngest has just turned 16 and is also car crazy.
My father was a motorcycle enthusiast and semi-professional racer in Pre-war Germany before he was interned in the concentration camps, and also drove several sports cars in the 30's.When I grew up in the 50's and 60's, he was always working on his car: not so much to make it better, but to keep it running.
So, in my case, the "sickness" has continued through 3 generations. As a matter of fact, even my nephew has a whiff of the disease, whcih he must have gotten from myself and my sons, because my brother-in-law is far too practical to car about cars.
My baby is going to sleep this weekend. Lotsa mods in the spring.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread