Justified shooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2004svtfocus

Established Member
The video opened fine for me, and I have to tell you I'm sick to my stomach after watching it. The officer had ABOSLUTELY NO REASON TO SHOOT THE SUSPECT. Yes, he had a pocket knife, but she took it from him and put it back in the vehicle. Do they not teach pain compliance/pressure points/control tactics in Oklahoma? A knee strike to the common perroneal nerve, which is in the middle of the thigh, between the knee and hip would have neutralized the subject long enough to get the cuffs on him.

She in no way attempeted to neutralize him with anything other than her gun. First thing, WHY THE HELL DID SHE HAVE HIM EXIT THE VEHICLE RIGHT OFF THE BAT? Basicly this comes down to poor tactics/training. While I understand that power to power she was at a disadvantage, pressure points/nerve motor points can aid you in getting/taking control. I've worked the street and the jail, and I'm 5'11, and about 200lbs, and have gotten control of subjects about 6'4 that could clearly overpower me by using pressure points and other types of compliance controls without even using spray/baton.

That being said, she was WRONG, and that's my opinion.

<<RAMBLE OFF>>

Todd

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
My only comment is that we dont get to judge her "threat" level by watching a video. She determined her threat level based on the situation at hand and not from watching a video of it.

I can tell you from real world experience that often times what I consider a threat others dont(comes from prior experience and perspective of a situation) and vice versa.

I see a rabid dog barking and showing his teeth and I feel threatened, while an animal lover sees a dog that is scared.

Every situation has many angles to it. The only common thread here is none of us were there and none of us were in her shoes. If the DA decided it was a clean shoot and there was no State or Federal Inquiry into it, then it must be a clean shoot.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Originally posted by 2004svtfocus
The video opened fine for me, and I have to tell you I'm sick to my stomach after watching it. The officer had ABOSLUTELY NO REASON TO SHOOT THE SUSPECT. Yes, he had a pocket knife, but she took it from him and put it back in the vehicle. Do they not teach pain compliance/pressure points/control tactics in Oklahoma? A knee strike to the common perroneal nerve, which is in the middle of the thigh, between the knee and hip would have neutralized the subject long enough to get the cuffs on him.

She in no way attempeted to neutralize him with anything other than her gun. First thing, WHY THE HELL DID SHE HAVE HIM EXIT THE VEHICLE RIGHT OFF THE BAT? Basicly this comes down to poor tactics/training. While I understand that power to power she was at a disadvantage, pressure points/nerve motor points can aid you in getting/taking control. I've worked the street and the jail, and I'm 5'11, and about 200lbs, and have gotten control of subjects about 6'4 that could clearly overpower me by using pressure points and other types of compliance controls without even using spray/baton.

That being said, she was WRONG, and that's my opinion.

<<RAMBLE OFF>>

Todd

I've also worked the streets and been unfortunate enough to be involved in numerous lethal force usage situations and several near lethal physical fights with subjects where pain compliance/pressure points were either ineffective or simply not useful in the type of struggle that was going on. Even shooting a suspect does not guarantee a fight will end, I've seen severely wounded and bleeding suspects fight till they bleed out. Shock is a symptom of the weak-minded, if your mindset is to win at all costs, don't count on pain compliance to end some struggles.

Bottom line is none of us were there....................

bskinner

a shot to the common perroneal works fine in a perfect world but in "reality" it is not gonna subdue a suspect long enough for you to get cuffs on them...... sorry. BEEN there done that. Pain compliance holds are applicable////practical in about 25% of the physical confrontations ive been in.... but honestly most of the time im able to talk a suspect into cuffs, rarely do I have to fight anyone. Im sure my size is partially to blame for that but do remember that male suspects will take advantage of a female officer if they feel the need. oh well whatever i was not there and its over and apparently shes back at work.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Originally posted by SPEEDTRAPZ
....a shot to the common perroneal works fine in a perfect world but in "reality" it is not gonna subdue a suspect long enough for you to get cuffs on them....

I'll 2nd that. I saw a guy strike a subject with his 4-cell Maglite on the common peroneal and the subject didn't even flinch, much less fall down. LOL

BTW - http://www.daweslane.com/anderson.html

Now that was an interesting read on the situation, thanks for the link.

Last edited:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
So many variables in our business, and the time provided to make your choices are measured in split-seconds, not minutes, nor do you get the opportunity to weigh out the consequences of your decisions in advance.

After reading the DA's reasoning for his decision on the incident, I agree totally. It was a "bad shoot" situation, just not a criminal act on the officers part.

Like I said from the beginning, it shows her lack of training, seasoning and also lack of support from her department for not recognizing her shortcomings and making the necessary adjustments.

Hell, in California she could sue her department for failing to train her properly...............you think I'm kidding, but I'm not.

IMachU

Established Member
I work in the "ghetto" in South Los Angeles. I run people under the influence of all types of intoxicants here. This guy, hours later, was still legally under the influence. ANY KIND of pain compliance hold or strike, including the baton, would be largely ineffective, especially for an inexperienced, smaller officer. However, she should have had additional units there before she had him exit the truck, should have this, should have that. The point I am trying to make (after a LONG day, I might add), is that any of you folks that are rallying around the "Quick...get Jonnie Cochran, prosecute her and administer the lethal injection!" theory should immediately go to your local police station and sign up for the academy. Only after you have walked a mile in our shoes will you have the right to judge us and why we do something or not do something. If you can't become a police officer to change the way things are done according to your perception, then might I suggest going back to your local police station and going on a ride-along. This is where you spend a shift (or two if you want) with an officer, and you can ask as many questions as you like. You can even see an entire incident from the start, not just when someone hits record on the camera. So please, become educated before you start condemning police officers. Or go to a place without police and see how long you keep your SVT. Or life. Off soap box, returning to recliner.

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
I agree with mswaim having read the DA's statement, although I can't see the video because I refuse to install the crappy real player on my computer.

8banger

just a neon
Established Member
that video was 12 min. long and that officer spent the majority of that time pleading with this guy and he just wouldnt listen...he continued to resist the whole time. He got what he deserved. The few times i have had dealings with the law I did exactly what they told me to do and here i am.....no bullet holes.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Now that's pretty profound thinking, be careful someone will confuse you with Darth Vadar...........................he also has conservative views on such matters...........

simpman

game artist
Established Member
My complaint is why the hell do people still use Real Player? It's got to be the crappiest media player out there.

I started watching the video but didn't finish it, but I do have to say everytime I have been stopped by the cops I act in a civilized and respectful manner, following every direction the cop gives me. I haven't been shot yet.
Just seeing a side arm on a cops holster should be a sobering factor enough. These people that don't cooperate (and I'm not just talking about this case but in general) should realise that there is a good chance they could get hurt if they f*ck around.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Originally posted by simpman
...My complaint is why the hell do people still use Real Player? It's got to be the crappiest media player out there...

Agreed! :beer: It seems like all of the TV newstation websites out there specifically use Real Player - heh :kaboom:

bskinner

well i finally got to see it. THAT has got to be the stupidest white kid i have ever seen, I probably wouldnt have shot him but at the very least he would have bought an extended stay in the local charity hospital........ He deserves anything he gets he was clarly resisting (passively) but the look on his face was priceless, "you shot me.". But I do see a real problem with this trooper and her tactics. She is lacking to say the least. My god what a cluster F@#$

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
What happened to calling for help if he was not be cooperative?

bskinner

Im not sure about the state she was working in Louisiana one trooper has to cover an entire parish so basically you have no back up that would be able to respond in a timely manner

cenwesi

Established Member
The fool deserves to be shoot period. How many times do we have to tell people DO NOT DRIVE DRUNK. What if that asshole got into an accident and took an innocient live. I think the cop should have aimed a little higher in between the eyes. Atleast we will have one less drunken driver on the roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread