k member install times and cost?

matt lankford

all is sold
the shop thats putting my headers in says i will save a bunch of install money if i do the k member at the same time. what does it cost/hours to install just a k member with the new arms? i dont really want to do it now because there are other things id rather do first but if its a big savings to do it now i will

f4sfed

Established Member
1. I can't imagine it not helping during the installation of headers.

2. I would do it to solve the bump steer and brake dive issue, as well.

3. Not to mention the weight savings (Oops! I guess I just mentioned it).

refer to http://www.griggsracing.com/suspension.html TONS of info!

Last edited:

matt lankford

all is sold
I know it would help but is it cost effecive to do it right now? how much will i save by doing it now because i really dont want to do it now unless im saving 3-5 hours labor and then it would be cost effective. i think im going with the D & D kit, is under 500 shipped with control arms

f4sfed

Established Member
I talked to Griggs racing support, and remember him saying something like 8 - 14 hours depending on your experience and the tools at your disposal. I'm not sure what "the book" gives a tech to replace the K-member.

Some header installations tell you to remove the K-member...is yours one of those?

matt lankford

all is sold
yes, if a k member is an 8hr job then 8x50 is 400 and he will throw it on with the headers off for 125 including swapping the a-arms.

so if i do it now its 500+125=625
and if i wait its 500+400=900, if its only 8 hours

did he mention if the 8-12 hrs included a re-alignment

f4sfed

Established Member
It didn't include the alignment. The times I was talking to him about, was me doing it myself, in my garage.

What was the time your tech told you for replacing the K-member and control arms?

matt lankford

all is sold
if i do it with the headers its only 125 extra, which is 2.5 hrs. i dodnt ask him what it would be by itself so i posted. he is closed for the weekend and i wanted to know if i should hurry up ad order it so i have it

f4sfed

Established Member
If you can afford it now, I'd do it now. I guess it comes down to:

1. can you afford to spend the money now? ($625+/- now)
OR
2. would you rather spread the cost out? ($500 and then $400)

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
One of the local shops also advised changing to coil-overs in the rear at the same time so that you can adjust the overall stance of the car.

It just keeps adding up.....

Cobra-R

Established Member
I have changed a couple K-members and after you know what you are doing, you can do it along with changing control arms, a bumpsteer kit, adding solid steering rack bushings caster/camber plates, and coil overs in about 8 hrs. The first time will probly take longer.
If the K-member needs to be removed to install the headers, and you plan on doing the k-member anyways, I surley would do it now.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread