k-member kit poll

Aftermarket K-Member poll

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

03redfirevert.

coyote eater
Established Member
I am beginning the first major stages of putting my cobra on a diet.
My ? is which kit has the best build quality.I dont believe in bying junk for my car. Pros and cons of kits you have experience with.

MM kit
GMS
QA1
D&D Motorsports
UPR
other Brand?

03redfirevert.

coyote eater
Established Member
Bert5.0 said:
Why not get the Griggs SLA kit?
I thought about the SLA kit,but not really doing it for more handling,more concerned with loseing weight off the nose, I would rather spend the xtra $$ on aluminium coilovers versus adding upper control arms. Thanks for your input,
I see u r rebuilding your frontend,are u putting the Griggs kit on?I saw the write up in MMFF this month,looks very well engineered<--sp.?

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
TorchedCoupe said:
I've heard that UPR K-members have crappy welds.

not the case on mine, welds are very nice. Actually better than the QA1 I had previous.

UPR is better engineered than QA1 also. You do not have to modify the flanged heads on the pivot bolts with UPR, QA1 you will need to.

It is a good product I would buy again.

hellion008.jpg

Bert5.0

blah
Established Member
03redfirevert. said:
I thought about the SLA kit,but not really doing it for more handling,more concerned with loseing weight off the nose, I would rather spend the xtra $$ on aluminium coilovers versus adding upper control arms. Thanks for your input,
I see u r rebuilding your frontend,are u putting the Griggs kit on?I saw the write up in MMFF this month,looks very well engineered<--sp.?

Nah, cant afford to throw 5 grand at a $4K car right now. Pretty much replaced everything except the brakes and hub though- springs, shocks, CC plates, urethane isolators, 03 cobra arms, tierod ends. Most extensive work I have ever done to a car.

You wanted the best, I figured the SLA might be it from the sound of things- at least for handling. Cant wait till I can upgrade my K member. :bowdown:

04torchred

Established Member
Just a suggestion, but also ask people to give miles driven on their K-members. I am sure many handle great and perform great at the start, but find out how they behave with 10-20K on them. Everything is stiff and solid in the beginning, but can loosen up with miles on it. I am sure the last thing you want is a squeaky/rattling K-member. I am looking at the MM unit, but I am also curious about what people suggest.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Postban, great pic! :beer: I've heard nothing but good feedback on the UPR k-member. Do you think it'll hold up to street driving abuse? Will the chromoly welds need attention in the long run? I'm on the fence with my k-member selection but moving closer to MM.

Cobra-R

Established Member
You guys need to disinguish between K-members that actually try to improve the suspension geometry and the k-members that are just to save weight.

Then identify what you are looking for and make a decision based upon that. It is not a bad assumption to assume the lighter the K-member, the better the chance of it failing. I know of many failed K-members(including on my car) and recommend taking you brand decision very seriously.

Brian

03redfirevert.

coyote eater
Established Member
Brian,
Very good point,I rarely drive my cobra,mostly a every other or just a weekend here and there when its sunny out,one of the reasons was for the lighter weight,but strength is very important as well.
Which k-member did you have problems and did you find a better product?

Cobra-R

Established Member
03redfirevert. said:
Brian,
Very good point,I rarely drive my cobra,mostly a every other or just a weekend here and there when its sunny out,one of the reasons was for the lighter weight,but strength is very important as well.
Which k-member did you have problems and did you find a better product?

Failed K-member was a Griggs, I run Maximum Motorsports now.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread