K member removal with jackstands and hand tools- to replace or to fix that d*mn oil pan gasket!

Endomendo

I had to replace my oil pan gasket on my 98 Cobra, and did a google and you tube searches for the best way. I found multiple methods, and found the followin to be the easiest- out and in under 8 hours. This was on my back, car on jackstands.

1. Tools- Can't remember off the top of my head- 10 mm socket, 15 mm, 18 mm, 21-24 mm sockets, pliers, pry bar, heavy hammer, wrenches- 7/8, can't remember the other.. Impact gun speeds things up!
2. Jack up the car and secure on jackstands
3. Remove the rims.
4. IF you have a convertible, remove the bottom support brace- like 10 or so bolts
5. Remove calipers- 2 bolts each- secure with wire or something to keep the tension off the hoses
6. If the rotors come of easily, cool. If not, don't worry about it
7. Remove the ABS sensor- 1 small 6 point bolt- then slide it out
8. Seperate the tie rods from the spindles.
9. Jack up the lower control arm, compressing the coil spring
10. Unbolt the strut from the spindle- 1 thin nut- for the ABS sensor cable, then 2 large nuts/bolts
11. SLOWLY lower the lower control arm
12. Pull out coil spring
13. Repeat steps 7-12 on the opposite side
14. Lock steering wheel
15. Remove steering shaft bolt (from under the car), slide steering shaft off of lower shaft
16. Remove motor mount nuts- 1 each side
17. Remove the power steering rack- 2 nuts and bolts, and support it using the sway bar
18. SUPPORT THE ENGINE. Many use the engine support bars with chains- I did the engine support with a 10,000 lb capacity tow strap under the PS pulley, crank pulley, and AC pulley.
19. Scribe a mark or drill a pilot hole to realign the K member
20. Support the K member with a jack or something to keep it from falling
21. Remove the 4 bolts (2 each side) of the rear bolts, 4 bolts (2 each side) in the upper apron
23. Slowly lower the jack/ support
24. K member is OUT!

This could easily be completed in 2 hours with 2 people. I started at 0800 cleaning the garage, then backing the car in, then fighting to remove 1 wheel, then made several phone calls and multiple texts, then swore a few times, took a coffee break, smashed my head and swore more, did some farting around..

However...

It was straight forward and "easy", all things considered. I had it out in 3 hours, by myself. Going back in took longer as I smashed my head and crushed/ cut up my hands, got the steering shaft "stuck" on the upper apron, and had to remove the K member several times due to my own stupidity. IF I didn't F up and had another set of hands, it would have taken 4-5 hours, start to finish.

Good luck!

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
very cool write up. i am also someone who does not own or use any power tools. i use hand tools only. with no lift either. it's all on my back on jackstands in my garage or driveway, working alone. so far i have done 3 engines in my fords this way.

but a job like that would probably take me weeks if not months lol. i stand around beer in hand looking at it a lot.

truth be told someday i'd love to get a lift installed in my garage tho =)

I_like_turtlez

Established Member
Honestly I wouldn't do these kinds of jobs without a lift, that is a lot of freakin' work to replace an oil pan gasket

Can you not just unbolt the trans/engine mounts and jack/hoist the engine up to access the oil pan, or does it physically not have the space to slide out on these cars?

This is why adults have nightmares

Users who are viewing this thread