K&N FIPK ?'s

03DSG

just installed the k&N fipk and I was wondering if it was bad for the maf not to be in the original 10 o'clock position....I dont see how it would be possible for it to be in the 10 o'clock position with K&N's set up.

03RedCobra

Established Member
With the Apten CAI, I had the same problem. The MAF ended up in the 12 o'clock position. The only problem that I noticed was that it now Idled at a lower RPM, which really wasn't a big deal at all.

Remember to do one thing though.....and disconnect the Negative cable on the battery for a while after you install the CAI, and leave it that way for around an hour or so. Then reconnet it and start the car up. This way the computer will "Learn" the airflow that the CAI is now giving it. I did this with my APTEN, even after it had been on for a while, and it made that lower idling problem go away.

03RedCobra

Established Member
Oh yes, one more thing......I Dynoed the car before and after the CAI was installed, and it made NO difference in the Air-Fuel ratio. So, mind at ease on that one.

bones

Established Member
I just installed mine on Saturday. Big performance difference but no matter with the MAF position. Just make sure you leave the screen out. K&N directions don't call that out. Most times the screen stays in the stock filter adapter but John at SoCal Motorsports said some guys put the screen in and couldn't get the gaskets to seal right. That causes air leaks and stalling.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
One thing for certain, is that these cars don't all react the same way to the same modifications. I installed the FIPK on my car w/ 2.93" pulley and Magnaflow CB. It leaned up my A/F by about 4 tenths of a point (from 12.0 to 12.4 max). I made an additional 20 hp over the drop in K&N, on back-to-back pulls. The idle quality did degrade. I have stalled on two occassions, where I had never stalled before.

Users who are viewing this thread