K&N for crankcase breather

2003 Cobra

Established Member
People have posted that unmetered air due to an open air crankcase breather may cause a lean condition; however, I am not certain this will occur. A concern of mine with the stock crankcase ventilation system is that oil from the crankcase vent may carbonize on the throttle body and intercooler. I'm leaning towards a K&N breather filter and plugging off the vent to the air intake tract. Please convince on what to do or what not to do. Thanks.

BOOOOST

Established Member
NO! Do not do this, as it will cause problems, and will cause for a lean condition as you just stated. MANY Lightning owners having issues attempting to do something such as this.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Don't do it it allows unmetered air to enter and leave your motor which is a very bad thing. The correct solution is get an oil seperator and mount it inline in the system this will minimize or stop oil from entering the TB and not cause the unmetered air situation.

jonas

Established Member
rick im confused.

I know your a guru in your own right so I by no means saying your wrong but questioning the whole theory behind not using a breather.

How does air get into the cylinders from the breather? especially with a blown motor having positive pressure in the crank case at wot?

I know your right just cause I heard the same thing from lightning owners but I just cant figure out why. Can you explain? Edjamakate me!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread