k&n intake trouble

dantheman91

Established Member
my k&n intake filter has fallen off and i cannot get it to go back on well. because of is the car has been running a little rough because the seal around the filter is not really good. i was wondering if anyone might have any suggestion on how to get the filter on better so that it has a better seal and so that it does not fall off.

mpm

Established Member
The same situation occurred to me last week. It appears the K&N filter does not adequately fit the intake housing. I went as far as removing the entire housing from the car, and attempting to press the air filter on my hand with some assistance of a screw driver and hammer; nothing worked. I actually ended up punching a hole in the filter. As it sits right now, the filter is "pressed" on as far as I could by hand, but it does not sit flush. The air filter starts to deform when you press with any force.

I assume it's the crappy K&N setup, so I'm on the look out for an air filter that allows easier removal/installation for maintenance. It looks like the stock air box is going back in for the time being...

Sorry for not providing an immediate solution, but it appears we both need to find alternative air filters.

hotmustang95

Established Member
What's the problem, is the opening on the filter bigger then the intake tube. If it's to big an opening then thats the problem. You'll need to match a new filter with the same size opening on the tube if that's what's going on. I was given a filter once that was a little to big compared to the tube but I still clamped it down. It split open days later.

Another thing you could try is rough up the end of the tube with a file or grinder so that the filter has a something to grab onto and keep it from slipping off.

mpm

Established Member
What's the problem, is the opening on the filter bigger then the intake tube. If it's to big an opening then thats the problem. You'll need to match a new filter with the same size opening on the tube if that's what's going on. I was given a filter once that was a little to big compared to the tube but I still clamped it down. It split open days later.

Another thing you could try is rough up the end of the tube with a file or grinder so that the filter has a something to grab onto and keep it from slipping off.

Correct to your first question. The intake "tube", which is really just a small flange coming out of the k&n deal, is too big for the filter's inside diameter. I can push and beat on the filter all I want, but all that occurs is the air filter deforms and causes a great deal of frustration. I'm sure it's an odd size, but I'll take a measement to see.

Users who are viewing this thread