K&N Over oiling?

Fran

Established Member
This might be a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway. Yes I did search but only found the advice not to over oil it. How can I tell if my filter is over oiled?

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
I just barely mist it on after cleaning it. From what I understand if the inside of your MAF feels oily at all after running then it's enough to coat your sensor and throw off your air/fuel.

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
Or you can use the AEM Dryflow filter. No oil, washable, reusable and still high flow. It was developed due to Ford's concerns over oil in the MAF. I use a lot of them at my shop....never had any problems.

Juruense

Banned
MaximumVelocity said:
Or you can use the AEM Dryflow filter. No oil, washable, reusable and still high flow. It was developed due to Ford's concerns over oil in the MAF. I use a lot of them at my shop....never had any problems.
Interesting! :rockon:

Fran

Established Member
Thanks for the info. Where can I get an AEM Dryflow filter? Nevermind I found them. The price is comparable to buying a new K&N.

Last edited:

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
MaximumVelocity said:

I use one on my K&N FIPK kit. Dont have to worry about that oil crap anymore!

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
When I lightly oil my K&N, I let it sit overnight. This lets the oil soak into the media, and allows any excess to drip down to the bottom (which gets wiped away before install into the car). Then, about a week after I put it back in the car, I pull the MAF wire and clean it with some electrical contact cleaner. Sometimes I check the MAF wire again in another week, but not always. I can usually tell from the first time I pull it if I have over-oiled the filter.

Juruense

Banned
Yeah its not that hard to just clean the MAF a few weeks after re-oiling the K&N. I always like to reset the computer after I clean it also.

I use quick drying electrical contact cleaner to clean it and I had to buy a set of security torx bits to get the MAF off.

quickdry.jpg

Img171.jpg

sonic cobra

Established Member
I don't know if this makes any sense at all, but I have two K&N filters. Each year I take the one out, clean and oil it as directed, wrap it up and put it in the box for next year. I assume any excess oil that can't be absorbed by the element will evaporate from the surface over the year in storage.The following year, when I install it, it still has the characteristic red color. I've done this for three years now and have had no issues.I also send my oil out for analysis and the silicone levels remain good.

Users who are viewing this thread