K&N vs S&B filters

Adltdrvn

Established Member
Is there a big difference in quality between these two filters? The K&N FIPK is nearly $180 while the entire JLT RAI kit with S&B filter is only $150. Which filter element is better? I believe both filters can be cleaned...

wlg101190

Established Member
The bottom of the K&N has a flat metal part at the end of the filter, while the S&B is just open, so I guess more air gets in?

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
I have the FIPK on my car now but I have a JLT RAI I tried to install last weekend.

We couldn't figure out how the hell it went. Those are the worst directions I have ever seen.

Is the black PVC looking pipe suppose to be perfectly circle or does it have a kinda flat on one side? What do you use to run the extra hoses? It seemed like one would be pinched from the angle and the other wouldn't fit right. It's almost like the kit is incomplete:shrug:.. Not impressed :nonono:

Adltdrvn

Established Member
I have the FIPK on my car now but I have a JLT RAI I tried to install last weekend.

We couldn't figure out how the hell it went. Those are the worst directions I have ever seen.

Is the black PVC looking pipe suppose to be perfectly circle or does it have a kinda flat on one side? What do you use to run the extra hoses? It seemed like one would be pinched from the angle and the other wouldn't fit right. It's almost like the kit is incomplete:shrug:.. Not impressed :nonono:

Do you have pictures?

04torchred

Established Member
I believe the S&B is a cotton/gauze type material which is less likely to seep/mist oil when heated. I remember reading that K&N filters have a different make up and they are more likely to seep/mist oil when hot.

Vmnous285

Established Member
I have the K&N Fipk and I like it seems to work just fine. I had a Jlt on my Mach and i liked it also.

antiv6

Established Member
jlt intakes are the worst fitting after market parts ive ever seen lol, we tried about 5 times to get the heat shield on my friends mach 1 on and it just wouldn't fit lol

TORQJNKY

I've had both the JLT CAI and RAI. I currently have the RAI kit installed with the 12" S & B filter that came with the High Boost CAI kit. No problems installing either kit but do agree that the heat shield for the RAI does not fit well. So I left it off and plan on getting a heat shield from the K & N FIPK kit to use.

Users who are viewing this thread