KB 2.2 setup...what would you do?

jlbush

Established Member
Ok, so I might be getting my hands on a KB 2.2 here soon and even though install might be a ways off I want to start mapping out a game plan. I am also one of those who wants to hit 600 rwhp. I would be ecstatic if I hit that with a KB 2.2 at 17lbs on pump 93 (no LTs, stock longblock), however, I know that is probably not going to happen especially with not being able to run as an aggressive tune with the ethanol in our pump gas now.

So, my thought is have a street tune on pump 93 and make hopefully around 580. Have a torco tune @ 17lbs and shoot for 600+. Then have a final tune for torco and 20-21lbs and shoot for 620+. Sound like a decent plan?

I figured I could buy torco 5 gallons at a time for around $250 or so by the time it ships to me. It comes up to paying like a $1.25 or so more a gallon if I used it all the time (assuming I use 32oz for 10 gallons).

I wish E85 was more available in our area (DC area specifically), but I have also heard it attracts water like a magnet and might not be the path I want to take anyway. :shrug: However, would you go 80lb injectors just to give myself some room to grow or do E85 down the road or just stick with 60lbers? 80lb injectors have more drivability issues as well don't they?

Sorry for all the questions and I put this in the MACA section just so that I wouldn't automatically get a ton of people saying 'go with E85 and call it a day' since it's not readily available and my pea brain jury is still out for the verdict on E85.

jf4boogie

Established Member
I think you're too hung up on numbers.

My 2.2 was set up on 19#s with low timing and made 599/570 on 93 pump.

Is your car a daily driver? Will it see the track?

I think a great tune and a strong power band are more important than just peak numbers. My buddy made 640 with his 2.6KB but my 2.2 hit so hard in the lower rpm band that we would stay neck to neck from 40-140.

jlbush

Established Member
I think you're too hung up on numbers.

My 2.2 was set up on 19#s with low timing and made 599/570 on 93 pump.

Is your car a daily driver? Will it see the track?

I think a great tune and a strong power band are more important than just peak numbers. My buddy made 640 with his 2.6KB but my 2.2 hit so hard in the lower rpm band that we would stay neck to neck from 40-140.

I think I could be a little hung up on numbers and I definitely want a tune for just 93 so I don't have to have torco or anything in addition. I don't want just a dyno queen, but I'd be lying if some of this hang up on the magic 600 number isn't for bragging rights. lol

Car is not my DD and no it won't see the track.

Yeah I'm going to have a good tune for sure and I know numbers aren't the end all be all, but it would be nice to say I have 600 rwhp and back it up on the street! :beer:

wheelhopper

Established Member
I don't see why you could not be at or very close to 600whp with the 2.2. Install it, get a good tune and let 'er rip. If you drag race there is no reason that you could not be running mid 10's if your suspension is set up right. If you're not drag racing, you'll have a hard time hooking up on the street with less than 600whp anyway.

jlbush

Established Member
I don't see why you could not be at or very close to 600whp with the 2.2. Install it, get a good tune and let 'er rip. If you drag race there is no reason that you could not be running mid 10's if your suspension is set up right. If you're not drag racing, you'll have a hard time hooking up on the street with less than 600whp anyway.

Yeah I hope I can be right there or at least knocking at the door of 600 on straight 93. I'll be upgrading some things with the suspension mainly to stop the hop and I'll obviously be putting on much stickier tires. I MIGHT take it to the track and see if I can't get a 1.7/1.8 60', shift my a$$ off, and try to break into the 10s, however the car will remain a street car. Not sure if a 10 sec run with that type of 60' is doable, but that's what I would like...Again it's just a milestone to say I have a 10 sec car, not an 11.01 sec car.

A dyno sheet doesn't mean anything ... show me the time slip!!

Yeah again I know it's not everything, but it's something that I am shooting for.

04yellowcobra

Established Member
Again it's just a milestone to say I have a 10 sec car, not an 11.01 sec car.

If my 600 rear wheel cobra didn't run 9s I would set it on fire ... or put a penny on the seat and push off a cliff and say I lost something.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
IMO if you want 600 to the ground just throw a 2.3 Whipple with a 3.0 upper. 60lb injectors BAP, intake, exhaust, and your done. Most of us hit around 620 at the tire using that combo on 93.

jdh1213

2.8 Kenne Bell
Established Member
Just put a 2.3 Whipple, 55lb Injectors, BAP, Pro M MAF, Accufab TB, Magnaflow Catted X-Pipe and Magnaflow Catback and put down 603 HP. Your aspirations seem very realistic. BTW, that was on 91 Octane with 15 PSI boost.

jlbush

Established Member
Is it a sin to want 600 rwhp and have it as a street car? Lol...I mean its not like I'm just gonna baby the car and brag that I have 600 hp and care less about how it performs. I'm just saying that for me the car is going to be a street car and I'm gonna get my satisfaction out on the street not at the drag strip. I totally get the people who want to fly in the 1/4, but I don't want to invest the money on making it a good sraight line car dealing with a heavy irs vert, not saying it's not possible just not what I'm looking for. I feel that having 600 in it with a good tire and some driving ability will make the car pretty streetable, I dont need to dead hook from 1st or anything just would like to atleast hook up in 3rd lol.

Well I just got the 2.2 so its a little late to go the 2.3 route lol...I've always loved the 2.2s and I really do love the whine. I'm not super hung up on a number and my main question referring to the hp figures was if it sounded feasible. The other question is whether I should go 60s or 80s?

Thank you for the replys :beer:

flattrack53

Established Member
Is it a sin to want 600 rwhp and have it as a street car? Lol...I mean its not like I'm just gonna baby the car and brag that I have 600 hp and care less about how it performs. I'm just saying that for me the car is going to be a street car and I'm gonna get my satisfaction out on the street not at the drag strip. I totally get the people who want to fly in the 1/4, but I don't want to invest the money on making it a good sraight line car dealing with a heavy irs vert, not saying it's not possible just not what I'm looking for. I feel that having 600 in it with a good tire and some driving ability will make the car pretty streetable, I dont need to dead hook from 1st or anything just would like to atleast hook up in 3rd lol.

Well I just got the 2.2 so its a little late to go the 2.3 route lol...I've always loved the 2.2s and I really do love the whine. I'm not super hung up on a number and my main question referring to the hp figures was if it sounded feasible. The other question is whether I should go 60s or 80s?

I think you should do whatever you want to do. In the end it is still your car and you choice. I love those 2.2's. They scream like no other!

04yellowcobra

Established Member

haha Hey man I am all for you doing whatever you want to your car. In the end all it does is help this great hobby that all of us enjoy!

I guess my main thing is just because you have 600 rear wheel does not make the car fast. There are MANY other things that need addressed to make the car use that power on the street or the track! I know the montra for these cars is you can just do anything to the motor and it will make XXX HP. Which is awesome. But just because it makes XXX HP doesn't mean that a properly prepped eaton car or a bored and stroked all motor fox isn't going to come out and clean your clock.

jlbush

Established Member
I think you should do whatever you want to do. In the end it is still your car and you choice. I love those 2.2's. They scream like no other!

Absolutely! I love those 2.2s and saw a ton of them being installed and tune when they first came out and was bummed when I got my cobra and found out the 2.6s don't scream like the old 2.2s, but got a good deal on a 2.2 so I should be happy.........for now :beer:

haha Hey man I am all for you doing whatever you want to your car. In the end all it does is help this great hobby that all of us enjoy!

I guess my main thing is just because you have 600 rear wheel does not make the car fast. There are MANY other things that need addressed to make the car use that power on the street or the track! I know the montra for these cars is you can just do anything to the motor and it will make XXX HP. Which is awesome. But just because it makes XXX HP doesn't mean that a properly prepped eaton car or a bored and stroked all motor fox isn't going to come out and clean your clock.

I agree 100% and I learned a long time ago that if you don't get the power down to the road then it's useless. I'll have it connect to the ground....somewhat :D

blksvtCOBRA714

Established Member
If you plan on stepping up the power in the future at all or even switching over to e-85 at some point just do the 80's. They aren't that much more expensive and they give you room to grow. The 2.2's put out a signature whine for sure and decent power, but you have to understand that they are older blowers so they aren't going to put out the peak powers of newer blowers. I just recently put a 2.2 on my car and the thing pulls hard all the way through the rpm band and the boost does not drop. It's a heck of an improvement from a pullied cobra. If you have any other questions, just shoot me a pm.

jlbush

Established Member
If you plan on stepping up the power in the future at all or even switching over to e-85 at some point just do the 80's. They aren't that much more expensive and they give you room to grow. The 2.2's put out a signature whine for sure and decent power, but you have to understand that they are older blowers so they aren't going to put out the peak powers of newer blowers. I just recently put a 2.2 on my car and the thing pulls hard all the way through the rpm band and the boost does not drop. It's a heck of an improvement from a pullied cobra. If you have any other questions, just shoot me a pm.

Yeah I don't see myself stepping up the power anytime soon after the 2.2 is on, BUT I'm looking for the "why not" part and don't really see any reason not to go with 80s from the get go even if I choose to stay with the 2.2 forever. I got the blower for a good deal and couldn't really turn it down. I've been in a lot of 2.2 cars back in the day and they all pulled very well, but didn't have much to compare it too (like a 2.3 whipple or anything like that). With that said though I should be happy (for atleast awhile) with the power it makes :beer: Thanks for the reply and I might take you up on that PM for questions :thumbsup:

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
Oh boy, I guess it's time for me to order my tires lol. Congrats on the new blower. I'd say talk to your tuner about your current/future plans and see if the 80s work out better for what your intentions are versus the 60s. You may be good to go with the 60s and may have better driveability. Your tuner should know which ones to go with and why for your setup.

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
I'm going to welcome another 2.2 into MACA :beer:

I kick myself every time someone mentions the scream on these things. The videos I had were awesome... but they'll be more. If I were you, I would do more research on e85, contrary to popular belief, that ethanol in our gas actually makes it better, for our purposes.

If it were me, which it isn't... but I'm doing this now, is get the 80's and get a E85 tune. Build your fuel system properly and you can run E when you want.

Get the right tuner and you'll be well over 600hp. At least mine did.

BTW... if you need someone to put it on and get it right... TRBOVNM is around the corner from you. I drive over an hour to his house for anything I need. Top notch!

Last edited:

jlbush

Established Member
Oh boy, I guess it's time for me to order my tires lol. Congrats on the new blower. I'd say talk to your tuner about your current/future plans and see if the 80s work out better for what your intentions are versus the 60s. You may be good to go with the 60s and may have better driveability. Your tuner should know which ones to go with and why for your setup.

The only problem is I don't even know what future plans I might have! lol However, I'll still talk to him about the driveability issues with 80s and if there aren't many downsides to the 80s I'll just go with them from the start! You got awhile until you need to get tires (for me atleast) because I need to get the rest of the supporting mods and scraping the bottom of my piggy bank already lol

I'm going to welcome another 2.2 into MACA :beer:

I kick myself every time someone mentions the scream on these things. The videos I had were awesome... but they'll be more. If I were you, I would do more research on e85, contrary to popular belief, that ethanol in our gas actually makes it better, for our purposes.

If it were me, which it isn't... but I'm doing this now, is get the 80's and get a E85 tune. Build your fuel system properly and you can run E when you want.

Get the right tuner and you'll be well over 600hp. At least mine did.

BTW... if you need someone to put it on and get it right... TRBOVNM is around the corner from you. I drive over an hour to his house for anything I need. Top notch!

Thank you! Can't wait to get it on and I know I'll have to get it tuned immediately following because I don't have the self-discipline like you! :D

Yeah, actually, I didn't understand why the 10% ethanol would hurt us for our purposes, but I aint to swift either :-D. I guess I need to do more research on the subject. I thought my tuner even told me that you have to go more conservative on the tunes with the ethanol they're putting in now, but I might be mistaken.

I won't be building a fuel system to allow for E85 yet, but I just want to know if 80s would be a good injector (and/or big enough) if I went E85 down the road. Also, I'll try to find out the driveability issues with the bigger injectors and go from there. My thing is I just don't want to kick myself later on when it's like "ok here goes another 400 for 80lb injectors that I could have went with from the beginning".

Yeah Hermann will be tuning my car so I'm sure it will have a good safe tune!

I'm well aware of Jason and I'm sure he is tired of hearing from me!! :uh oh: For the install of the blower my cousin and I will do it (he's put on a lot of KB 2.2s) and I trust that he knows what he's doing on this. However, I plan on having Jason do the installs on a lot of the other stuff I have coming :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread