KB gone bad?? Need Help Please...

Bikeboy77

Established Member
As some of you know I just installed a 2.3 KB on my truck this week and was having some problems with the truck running right after the swap. Well my week just got significantly worse. I was driving my truck to work this morning < 2 miles> when half way to work this whining noise started... it got louder quite quickly and then a rattiling/mashing sound started. I quickly pulled over and popped the hood and the noise was comming from the KB. I turned the truck off and pulled the oil dipstick on it and there was some green plastic wrapped around it... it had melted and swirled on the dipstick and then rehardened on it... anyone know what this could be? I bought the KB used off of a member on here and check the oil level before installing and everything was good. pulley rotataion was nice and smooth. I've only put about 20 miles on the truck since the install since I'm having other issues with the truck and havent romped on it. Did I get a bad KB??? Any help is appreciated!
Bob

rudyyr

Established Member
Sounds like the Green Coupler broke and got caught in the gearing, it mates the KB snout with the gears that drive the rotors. Sounds to me like you may need to have it replaced..they are not expensive but you would have to take the snout off and look around to see if there is any other damage..You dont have a KB warranty since you bought it used....worst case scenario would be to get the KB serviced($600 or so I think to rebuild)

regards,
rudyyr

Bikeboy77

Established Member
Thanks for the info so far guys. I took the belt off as soon as I got to work. The pulley still spins though, I'm guessing just from air intake spinning the blades. Atleast it's not under any force while rotating... Still makes the crumbly sound though =(

sampson101st

wanted!!!!
Established Member
yeah, i agree with the plastic "bumpers" that are in the snout. i seen them in an artical about blowers, and was like, wow. plastic. i guess it just absorbs the shock on inital and is cheap insurance rather than metal on metal. ill tell you if it was my wife driving she would have jsut kept going and turned the radio up. hahaah

Bikeboy77

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I'm pulling the the KB off after 3 days on the truck ;( I'm just worried about there being more damage done. It was making a horrible racket...

Users who are viewing this thread