KB "New" tune a Little Rich

stangin

Established Member
Just installed 55lb injectors and a new tune for my KB, my wideband says it is rich WOT.. dipping into the low 10's A/F wise and was wondering if I swapped my 6 lb lower for my 8 lb lower to add 2 more lbs of boost how much this would lean it out? I am running 100 octane so that should be fine detonation wise. Gonna give it a try.. any thought before I do?

jonas

Established Member
2 pounds would put you in high 11's low 12's (this can vary depending on other factors)

I would try and see. Its so close that I bet the eec would compensate and shouldnt pose too much of a prob.

with a wideband o2 I wouldnt be scared to try. find an empty street and punch it in 4th over 3k rpm to get sufficient load. have a friend in the car watching the o2 and yelling out the numbers so you dont crash. triple digits come on in just a couple seconds with the kb :)

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
LOL 3k RPMs and hit it

This is houston control the shutle 03 Kenny bell ready for take off

To bad you dont live near me Ill watch your wide band you drive :)

stangin

Established Member
Thanks guys.. that is what I was hoping for, to lean it out just a little bit.

Yeah, its getting to the point where it is stupid fast and test driving and trying to watch something.. well, not a good idea. At night is the best time to test when no one is around and the wideband LED display is easy to read and know what it is doing.

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
Stangin if you take the car to 3k or 3500 and jsut hit ti waht gear do you have to be in for it not to spin i am gona guess and say atlest 3rd

You have pretty much the list of mods I am going for a offroad X KB tune 15+ lbs of boost

The car has to be awsome

Something i would like to ask. going from stock and then pullied to the KB now how much stronger does the car fell over even the pullied setup

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Originally posted by stangin
Just installed 55lb injectors and a new tune for my KB, my wideband says it is rich WOT.. dipping into the low 10's A/F wise and was wondering if I swapped my 6 lb lower for my 8 lb lower to add 2 more lbs of boost how much this would lean it out? I am running 100 octane so that should be fine detonation wise. Gonna give it a try.. any thought before I do?

How much Boost and what numbers were you seeing with that rich a tune.......

AMB

Established Member
KB Tune

I run my KB with the 3.25" upper and Metco 8lb. lower, with a 82.5" belt. I use a 90mm aux. pulley and 90/100mm idler pulleys to get the correct belt tenchon. I use the top Metco lower pulley hole. You need to change all your idler pulleys for high speed pulleys, because the stock pulleys are "NOT" designed for the 19,000 RPMs with the 8lb. lower pulley. I had a lot of idler pulley slipage, and I broke one belt. The stock puleys have FAILED.

AMB

stangin

Established Member
Originally posted by vector
Stangin if you take the car to 3k or 3500 and jsut hit ti waht gear do you have to be in for it not to spin i am gona guess and say atlest 3rd

You have pretty much the list of mods I am going for a offroad X KB tune 15+ lbs of boost

The car has to be awsome

Something i would like to ask. going from stock and then pullied to the KB now how much stronger does the car fell over even the pullied setup

Surprisingly enough it is hooking for the moment, new Nitto's well a couple of hundred miles anyway. I have not driven it much since all the upgrades. I hit it pretty hard in first for the first time the other night, tires screached, then grabbed, it was pretty cool.
It would be the perfect launch technique, wish I remembered exactly what I did lol.. it was next to a big block Chevelle, walked away from him pretty badly. I will have to drive more and play with it a bit to see how its gonna hook.

When going from stock to 2.8 pullied with the Eaton it was very very nice, I would have stuck with the Eaton and 2.8 pulley, I was basically happy, but I wanted more torque. If I had it to do over I probably would have just added the lower 6 lb and over spun the Eaton now and then when I got on it instead of the KB, it was running that nicely. It is just stupid fast now and I am not sure I wanted to go this overboard, but since I did I am going all the way.

stangin

Established Member
Re: Re: KB "New" tune a Little Rich

Originally posted by 03snake
How much Boost and what numbers were you seeing with that rich a tune.......

Before with a badly slipping belt, the KB 2.5" pulley @ 21 lbs boost, and the stock injectors I was seeing 520 / 570.

I have not actually dyno'd yet with the 55 lb injectors, new rich tune and belt slip fixed.. (added 6lb lower and 3.25 upper, same 21lbs boost). I will add the 8 lb lower for 2 more lbs of boost to lean it some and heading for the dyno day on Saturday, I will post after the number are in.

stangin

Established Member
Re: KB Tune

Originally posted by AMB
I run my KB with the 3.25" upper and Metco 8lb. lower, with a 82.5" belt. I use a 90mm aux. pulley and 90/100mm idler pulleys to get the correct belt tenchon. I use the top Metco lower pulley hole. You need to change all your idler pulleys for high speed pulleys, because the stock pulleys are "NOT" designed for the 19,000 RPMs with the 8lb. lower pulley. I had a lot of idler pulley slipage, and I broke one belt. The stock puleys have FAILED.

AMB

I hear ya, I am installing the BF 100mm idlers tonight and the 8 lb lower. The BF idler are really nice pieces, hats off to Doug!

That is funny, I have the 3.25" upper, adding the 8 lb lower tonight.. same pulley configuration as you along with the 100mm idlers I just got, I need to order one BF 90mm idler though for under the belt wrap idler.

vector

1st Whipple in the 10's
Established Member
I just am not sure what to do i know if i go KB the car will be scary and thats what i want i want it to pull so hard.

What i want is it to pull like my 2002 R1 did witha KB and 17lbs+ of boost i am sure its right there. :)

stangin

Established Member
The tune must be a whole lot richer than I thought. I added the 8 lb Metco lower to lean it out some and my wideband still is reading into the 10's WOT and sometimes off the scale, below 10. Guess I have to get the chip reburned.. the car is stupid fast big time, I almost hesitate to get it re-burned.. I am not going to be able to get it re-tuned in time for the dyno day tomorrow so guess it is going to go as is.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
The chip will see the increased boost and add more fuel. I don't think it's going to effect your a/f curve.

Users who are viewing this thread