KB Questions

KHsonic03

Established Member
OK. I am thinking about a KB. I have done some searches, and have a few questions.
1. Is the boost a pump crap? Should I just get 55 lbers? If I do get the 55's, do I still need the BAP?
2. Have they fixed the oil spray problem? If not, is there a cheap fix, (not $200-300)?
3. Can you order the supercharger without the BAP and chip? (and not pay for it)
4. I was thinking 15 or 17 lbs. What is a "safe" boost pressure for a daily driver?
5. Who is the best for doing a custom chip for a KB?
6. If I put in 55's, do I need to change the mass air meter or get it recalibrated?
7. What do I need for the 55's? Do I need adapters, or do they plug right in? Who makes them?
8. What is a rough total for everything I need, if I were to do it right the first time. (TB, 55's, etc.)
That should do it for now. I know there are a lot of questions, but I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.:burnout:

hpbyhermann

Established Member
Edgewater Maryland, New shop in Beltsville Marylan
reply to questions.....

#1. i always use the 55's.....as do most of us....., no bap here.... #2. it is fixed with the right product......a case where you truly get what you pay for here.......fix it right the first time....... #3. yes you can..... #4. i am many others run 19 psi on pump gas with no additives... #5. p.m. me..... #6. nope...... #7. yes you need adapters for the plugs.....injector dude is what i use..........best quality stuff.....can be flow matched sets too #8. p.m. me.....hope this is helpful!

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
1. You don't need the BAP or 55# injectors.
2. mike5876 has a great cheap fix for this. What he did was take two 90 degree fittings from the plugs the oil blow from and then run the hoses from the fitting to the k-member. That way the KB still blows off and it goes right out and doesn't make a mess and it is only like $20 in parts. You just have to keep filling the supercharger. If all goes as planned I might have pictures of how it looks by Monday.
3. Yes KB sells it for 150 off for each component so they list it without BAP and chip form 3399.00.
4. I am going with 17# now. Some are running 19# on pump gas.
5. I don't know
6. You don't need to screw with the mass-air it can be fixed with the chip.
7. You will need wiring harnesses to connect the old style injector plugs with the new style connectors.
8. It depends on what you do

Last edited:

walker887

Established Member
you do not need a BAP if you run 55's
see racerats numbers ...those are without the BAP and a BAP has never been on her car

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
You don't need either they are a waste of money. The BAP is totally worthless. It is a step up transformer that increases the voltage from the PCM to the fuel pumps to increase pressure. The problem is the PCM senses that pressure increase and then decreases the voltage to compensate. Diablo has found a way to make the PCM increase fuel pressure up to 100 psi at idle. The injectors cost around 700 with harnesses and are not needed.

walker887

Established Member
I really do not think it a good idea to tell someone to run 17 + psi and that they do not need the injectors , I believe many would disagree. this is a statement that could possibly teach someone a very expensive lesson. I am not sure where you are buying your injectors and harnesses but at 650.00 total it is very good insurance for a safe 580 + hp
this is why KB recommends the BAP for the stock injectors.
to raise the pressure to high on the 39's will eventually cause injector failure along with motor failure.
its one or the other. Call Willie or Pat at Diablo and ask them if they recommend 39's for 580 HP and above

Dem03SonicSnake

Established Member
racerats #'s are great without using the bap, i plan on doing the same once i get my hand on a kb

Last edited:

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I'm thinking about getting a KB too.

I'm planning on using a 13lb and 17lb pulley with 55lbers. I don't want to use the BAP or the KB chip.

I want to know who to get the chip from because it's probably going to be a mail-order type because there aren't many good tuners in my area. Diablo is the only way to fly!

Where should I get the 50lb injectors? How much?

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Originally posted by Dem03SonicSnake
racerats #'s are great without using the bap, i plan on doing the same once i get my hand on a kb

I may have a KB, new in the BOX for sale soon. Have two in my Garage, the other for someone else who may not need it....

RDSZ

600+HP
Established Member
walker887 Iam running the BAP from KB with a 19psi and making good power. Are you telling us that if stock injector are use the engine will blow up because the injector failure. I do not want for this happen to my Cobra. I think I should get some 55lb injector.

coleman

Established Member
once again, this is a great site to have all of these possibilities come out & compare real-world implementations of each.

i didn't know a non-BAP, non-KBchip version available ... :bash:

so, i've got the whole kit & will post my results once i get car issues worked out...

coleman - KB w/ Diablo chip by KB + BAP = ? coming soon
racerat - KB w/ Diablo chip by MM + 55# = 560 @ 15# & 580 @ 17#

MM=Modular Madness

Last edited:

SVTBlackBolt

SVT POISONED
Established Member
Well I was told by Pete that the BAP and the injectors was the way to go and that he even uses it in his car...so I would go with both for the extra security.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by walker887
to raise the pressure to high on the 39's will eventually cause injector failure along with motor failure.
its one or the other. Call Willie or Pat at Diablo and ask them if they recommend 39's for 580 HP and above

First off we have 42# injectors stock. Second I already know their answer to that question why don't you call them and ask.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by SVTBlackBolt
Well I was told by Pete that the BAP and the injectors was the way to go and that he even uses it in his car...so I would go with both for the extra security.

I bought my set-up from Pete without both and that is what he recommended and said was fine. The reason he suggests changes the injectors was to have a better spray pattern especially when using NOS. First off the injectors Pete sells are 50# Delphi and I don't see the flow difference between 42# and 50# being that great. Second if you want to do the BAP go ahead it is worthless, but have fun.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by KHsonic03
racerrat's chip was tuned by who? Maximum Motorsports?? That can't be right?

Don at Modularmadness he posts as walker887.

Last edited:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Here is a better definition on why the BAP is worthless on our returnless fuel system. The BAP is basically just a step up transformer for the fuel pumps.

On a return style fuel system it works great as you have a fixed voltage being supplied to the fuel pumps that is not controlled by the PCM and a fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail that is used to adjust what pressure you want to see at the injectors. The PCM is controlling fuel delivery by adjusting the injector pulse width.

On a returnless system there is a fuel pressure sensor which the PCM uses to regulate the fuel pressure in the line. The PCM not only controls the injector pulse width, but it also controls the line pressure. When the BAP increases the voltage at the fuel pump the PCM sees the increase in pressure and therefore decreases the power to the fuel pumps bringing them back to where the fuel pressure should be according to its programming. The required pressure needs to be corrected in the PCM programming. Diablo has found out how to correct this and has reportedly been able to increase fuel pressure to as high as 100 psi at idle without any external add-on devices.

mike5876

Established Member
pat at diablo is comfortable with the stock injectors up to around 620 hp...also we didnt turn up the fuel pressure with a BAP or with anything else...on the dyno..i had an a/f of 11.6 all the way across..so why spend for the 55's? and why use a BAP if you dont need it...just another something to go wrong in my opinion...shadowgrey03 just got my program from diablo and is going to the dyno this weekend ....with the stock inj and mass air..i get stock driveability and the car hauls ass with a great a/f..what else do you need????? mike

Users who are viewing this thread