KB to VMP the results

builttodrive

Established Member
So you may not have gone backwards in reality? The Dynojet numbers for the cam install with the KB may be reading higher numbers than the mustang Dyno with the cams and the GEN2? I'm just throwing this out there because I hear time and time again how Dynojet numbers read higher than Mustang Dyno numbers. It's a great comparison just too bad we don't have the same dyno for both.

Last edited:

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
The difference between 738 and 717 is 3% for your adjustment. I've always heard 12% thrown out as the adjustment factor between Dynojets and Mustang dynos. But using a 12% adjustment to the Dynojet numbers winds up with lower horsepower and torque than the KB with stock cams. That's not inconsistent with what I've seen in a few before and after dynos with these cams. It appears to me that those cams make higher horsepower at ranges beyond the stock rods limits. That said, I'd be interested to see a dyno pull on a dynojet for a true apples to apples comparison.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
You guys are splitting hairs, no shop is going to let you sit on the dyno all day while you swap blowers and log it. This is a fair comparison which shows a marginal difference in power that most of us expect.

Joewee500

Established Member
I agree on the marginal difference in horsepower. I was just curious about the similar tq figures. It's not rocket science to see the vast majority of tvs dyno numbers show near square Hp/tq.

kw_rc

Established Member
So how's the seat of the pants difference?

I made a few WOT runs and the butt dyno tells me there is a difference. I will flounder and say I can't definitively state it is faster but power delivery is different. The KB was very progressive while the TVS seems to come on sooner. Oddly, it was a very "smooth" feeling as the RPMs increased. I don't recall feeling that with the KB. I am happy with the performance of the TVS so far.

Last edited:

CentralTexHemi

Established Member
Why not add an ATI 10 or 15% and convert to E85 and surpass what you had with the KB? I have the older VMP TVS 2.3 and made over 800

kw_rc

Established Member
Why not add an ATI 10 or 15% and convert to E85 and surpass what you had with the KB? I have the older VMP TVS 2.3 and made over 800

It's not my goal at the moment. I'm content with the amount of power I have on tap. When I get bored again, I'll do a build of some kind. Maybe by then, the next gen TVS will be out ;-). Oops, did I just start a rumor?

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
The KB would have had more advantage with the Cams at higher RPMs. We took two 2007's with new (same) cams, on the same day, on the same dyno, and the KB kept making more boost, above 5KRPM, until we let off the throttle.

I am hoping to fit a 3.6 under the stock hood by spring using BPS k-member lowering kit and a few other ideas if needed.

Last edited:

FEARSNO1

KB Shelby, enough said
Established Member
i don't agree with anything you did here, and I'm not being an ass, but the 2.8 KB will fit under a stock hood with no lowering at all, a small 3"x8" hole is needed in the ribs of the hood and that's it! not sure why this wasn't already known to you, mine was that way for 7 years till i swapped to the 4.0, and i had long tubes, and my car is slammed 2.2" in the front. as for the blower swap, that boggles my mind to, the KB doesn't make as much tq as the TVS because as we all know the higher you spin any PD blower the higher the tq and the TVS spins much faster at 18 psi than the KB does, if you were to run the KB higher into it's efficiency range the tq comes way up, the TVS is a nice blower especially for cost but you already had a KB. The KB also has so much more potential than the TVS. and the also the TVS is gonna run way hotter than the KB will at the same boost level

i included a dyno i did to compare pulleys, my car was basically close to your mods, KB stage III kit, headers and full exhaust. 18psi vs 23 psi (2.5" pulley vs 3.0" stock lower) same day same dyno!
+113 FT/LBS

pulley compare.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread